New fish ideas?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a catastrophic day with a dead goby and fire shrimp. My first reefing deaths and the shrimps was very preventable… this leaves me with a hole in my heart and my tank feels empty now along with a widowed pistol shrimp.

One option is to replace the goby, but I am weary of another goby because my other was my first ever saltwater fish, but he decided to jump even with a mesh lid on (he was small) so I’m not sure if another would jump. Then my pistol shrimp is all alone in which I would want to return him too so he could have a new partner.

The other option is a new kind of fish like a tail spot blenny or firefish. However I am not sure if that is feasible with a clownfish pair in my 13 gallon tank.

If anyone has any ideas on fish that get along well with a clownfish pair, or a new species of goby that would be great

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a catastrophic day with a dead goby and fire shrimp. My first reefing deaths and the shrimps was very preventable… this leaves me with a hole in my heart and my tank feels empty now along with a widowed pistol shrimp.

One option is to replace the goby, but I am weary of another goby because my other was my first ever saltwater fish, but he decided to jump even with a mesh lid on (he was small) so I’m not sure if another would jump. Then my pistol shrimp is all alone in which I would want to return him too so he could have a new partner.

The other option is a new kind of fish like a tail spot blenny or firefish. However I am not sure if that is feasible with a clownfish pair in my 13 gallon tank.

If anyone has any ideas on fish that get along well with a clownfish pair, or a new species of goby that would be great
I’d say go for another goby for the pistol shrimp however if you give us what species your previous goby was then we can give you alternatives that will pair with the pistol shrimp :)

That way you can have an awesome new species but at the same time keep the shrimp!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try another goby, but be prepared to keep the tank with only the clowns in there. A 13 gallon is rather small for 2 clowns, they might have bullied the goby, and might bully any new fish that you try to add. Its rather rare that gobies jump.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try another goby, but be prepared to keep the tank with only the clowns in there. A 13 gallon is rather small for 2 clowns, they might have bullied the goby, and might bully any new fish that you try to add. It’s rather rare that gobies jump.
I’d say go for another goby for the pistol shrimp however if you give us what species your previous goby was then we can give you alternatives that will pair with the pistol shrimp :)

That way you can have an awesome new species but at the same time keep the shrimp!
It was a wheelers goby about 1.5” big. I was debating about wether I should get a more mature specimen so it could hold its own and would probably get caught by the net if it jumped, or a smaller like a high fin or yasha so that it’ll fit in the tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try another goby, but be prepared to keep the tank with only the clowns in there. A 13 gallon is rather small for 2 clowns, they might have bullied the goby, and might bully any new fish that you try to add. Its rather rare that gobies jump.
I disagree with it being rare that gobies jump, these fish are one of the worst for jumping. I have had 9+ gobies but jumping certainly isn’t rare.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
I disagree with it being rare that gobies jump, these fish are one of the worst for jumping. I have had 9+ gobies but jumping certainly isn’t rare.
What’s ur recommendation on another? I love the yasha species as it will fit in the tank, and the one at my LFS seems to stand his ground well. I just don’t want to spend $100 on a fish and have it meet the same fate as my other

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W

What’s ur recommendation on another? I love the yasha species as it will fit in the tank, and the one at my LFS seems to stand his ground well. I just don’t want to spend $100 on a fish and have it meet the same fate as my other
I’d go for one from any of these genera;
Cryptocentrus (C)
Stonogobiops (S)
Amblyeleotris (A)

Specifically, a list of species I’d go for;
Yasha Goby (S)
Dracula Goby (S)
Red Barred Goby (S)
Wheeler Goby (A)
Suntail Goby (A)
Orange Spot Goby (A)
Diagonal Goby (A)
Masked Goby (A)
Yellow Watchman Goby (C)
Pink Spot Goby (C)
Peacock Goby (C)
White Backed Goby (C)
Harlequin Goby (C)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get anothet watchmen! Go to LFS and pick out a bigger one or bluezoo aquatics online lets you pick sizes. They are good, always had very healthy fish from them.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a clownfish pair already established and size of the tank- I wouldn’t add any other fish and I’d look for an upgrade to atleast a 30 gallon
Unfortunately that’s not an option because I’ll be moving it to and from college and the dorms have a minimum size. Depending on my RA I might upgrade to a 20 just for that little extra space. But right now it has to be this tank for a year

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval 13.5, and I could possibly upgrade in January depending on the RA
Ah yeah youre really limited for additional fish with two clowns. A perching goby is probably the best or super small ones like the clown goby, watchmen and neon stripe

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yeah youre really limited for additional fish with two clowns. A perching goby is probably the best or super small ones like the clown goby, watchmen and neon stripe
What about a small tail spot blenny? It doesn’t occupy a different part of the tank, but I could put it in an acclimation box and see how the clowns react for a week or so

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a small tail spot blenny? It doesn’t occupy a different part of the tank, but I could put it in an acclimation box and see how the clowns react for a week or so
That would probably be fine

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back