New fish tank stocking

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys, after having fun with my fluval 13.5 I decided to finally get an actual sizable reef tank a NUVO 40L, so now I’ve got the tank setup and cycling and I’m planning out the stocking choice for it all. I want to make a mixed reef with this tank but I also want some more interesting fish which I’ve heard can be possibly not reef safe, this list includes

1 leopard Toby puffer
1 cherub Pygmy angelfish
1 flame hawkfish
1 lawnmower blenny

and possibly a springer’s damselfish

but I’d also like to ask if many of you guys would consider that to be overstocked? if so I’d appreciate recommendations for what to pull out the only non negotiable is the leopard Toby puffer. as well I’ve heard the first three options can damage coral occasionally and I want anyone’s advice on what types of corals migjt survive better in this setup. One coral I’m dead set on is getting a torch I have a frog spawn in my nano tank which I love and I want the better thing now.

But aside from that anyone have recommendations for SPS I should consider trying out and seeing if they can survive with those fish? Or softies or LPS which might endure better with those type of fish? Or even recommendations to avoid those fish becoming coral hungry.

Lutzerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stocking should be fine. Angels will pick at SPS IME, but not usually enough to kill them. Never had any issues with flame hawk or lawnmower in a mixed reef. SPS wise, start with some easy montis like orange and if they do well, make your way to acros. I'd try common green ones first, then whatever you like if that does well.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All beautiful fish, however the angel needs a larger aquarium, 55 gallon. The angel should be reef safe but i have heard a few that have gone rogue. The puffer is not reef safe but the hawk fish is as long as you don’t have small shrimp. As for corals, go with what you like. Good starter sps are birds nest and monti. Good luck with your build and keep us updated.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All beautiful fish, however the angel needs a larger aquarium, 55 gallon. The angel should be reef safe but i have heard a few that have gone rogue. The puffer is not reef safe but the hawk fish is as long as you don’t have small shrimp. As for corals, go with what you like. Good starter sps are birds nest and monti. Good luck with your build and keep us updated.
I know they’re likely to target the cuc but i thought ive read somewhere due to leopard Toby puffer’s more timid nature and being from deep water reefs they’re less prone to eating coral?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they’re likely to target the cuc but i thought ive read somewhere due to leopard Toby puffer’s more timid nature and being from deep water reefs they’re less prone to eating coral?
I believe you are correct, it is the cuc that makes them. To bad they are such cool looking fish.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they less aggressive than other damselfish like I’ve read? Or are they likely to bully my fish Ive mentioned.
All of mine are very passive. They Do like to have a little area of their own, mine all have staked out about a 6-in by 6 in area, where they call home and will sometimes chase another fish away from it but never any aggression. Definitely not bullying.

OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of mine are very passive. They Do like to have a little area of their own, mine all have staked out about a 6-in by 6 in area, where they call home and will sometimes chase another fish away from it but never any aggression. Definitely not bullying.
That should be just fine then if I’m not adding the angelfish like the other guy said it might 2 small of a tank, so I think the stocking idea is leopard Toby, flame hawk fish, lawnmower blenny, springer’s damselfish, if anyone has another recommendation for an algae eating fish to help cope with the fact I might not be able to have a large cuc due to the puffer I’ll accept recommendations.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be just fine then if I’m not adding the angelfish like the other guy said it might 2 small of a tank, so I think the stocking idea is leopard Toby, flame hawk fish, lawnmower blenny, springer’s damselfish, if anyone has another recommendation for an algae eating fish to help cope with the fact I might not be able to have a large cuc due to the puffer I’ll accept recommendations.
Snails are your friend. I would Also bypass the angel as I doubt it'll have enough swimming room in there. You'll be amazed at how much work a lawn mower blenny can do on its own.

A pair/trio of firefish are nice, low bioload/ no aggression fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are your friend. I would Also bypass the angel as I doubt it'll have enough swimming room in there. You'll be amazed at how much work a lawn mower blenny can do on its own.

A pair/trio of firefish are nice, low bio no strain fish.
Would a trio of fire fish of the 3 different species work? Like 1 helfrichi, 1 regular and 1 purple? Or do they not recognize each other as fire fish to interact.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back