New fish were introduced now all fish are dying

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to make an emergency post I added three new clownfish to my tank around a month ago the new fish have since died and now it seems that my older fish that have been in the tank for months are dying now I need help identifying a disease a bacteria or a fungus of some sort my ocillaris are all dead now and they had white splotches along their bodies and gills and now it's on my sand sifting gobies any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20230330_184525324.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to make an emergency post I added three new clownfish to my tank around a month ago the new fish have since died and now it seems that my older fish that have been in the tank for months are dying now I need help identifying a disease a bacteria or a fungus of some sort my ocillaris are all dead now and they had white splotches along their bodies and gills and now it's on my sand sifting gobies any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20230330_184525324.jpg
params. Pics in white (corpses don't help), list of symptoms (itching, white dots, heavy breathing, etc)

#fishmedic

OP
OP
Wrothgar

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters were taken 3-26 and tested salinity and pH today they are still the same. I didn't really notice any kind of off behavior everybody was feeding just fine it seems to come on really quick like they'll be fine first thing in the morning and when I return home from work they are dead. I also need to know if any of those things that you guys are mentioning affect shrimp feather duster worms and corals. Picture in the original post are showing me that it leaves behind a white residue I'm thinking it may be ich. What are you guys recommend I treat with knowing that there are corals and other critters in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_152439679.jpg
    IMG_20230331_152439679.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 60

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters were taken 3-26 and tested salinity and pH today they are still the same. I didn't really notice any kind of off behavior everybody was feeding just fine it seems to come on really quick like they'll be fine first thing in the morning and when I return home from work they are dead. I also need to know if any of those things that you guys are mentioning affect shrimp feather duster worms and corals. Picture in the original post are showing me that it leaves behind a white residue I'm thinking it may be ich. What are you guys recommend I treat with knowing that there are corals and other critters in there.
if its ich or another disease, it won't harm corals and inverts.

Ich spots look like sugar sprinkles. Its hard to ID from a corpse.

There's not really any reef safe treatments for ich, velve and brook (and most fish diseases for that matter), they need to be treated in QT with proper medications.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is likely velvet. No one will know - if there are still fish - and if you haven't quarantined them - I would put them through the protocol at the top of the page. You will need a fallow period - Unfortunate - I'm choosing the worst case scenario - i.e. a fallow period - 2.5 months. There are numerous protocols. BTW - you also need to treat any remaining fish (I'm not sure there are any). Pictures of dead fish do not show disease as well. Unfortunately - if you could give more history - etc - as per the link in my signature - it might help

J&K Reefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
params. Pics in white (corpses don't help), list of symptoms (itching, white dots, heavy breathing, etc)

#fishmedic
It’s most definitely Brook. Same thing infected
My tank after I added a white cheek tang and killed a clown pair I had for 4 months. They started to loose their color on their sides near the dorsal fins and became sluggish. It only took 3 days for them to die. Sorry for your lose!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s most definitely Brook. Same thing infected
My tank after I added a white cheek tang and killed a clown pair I had for 4 months. They started to loose their color on their sides near the dorsal fins and became sluggish. It only took 3 days for them to die. Sorry for your lose!!
most definitely? Why? Just curious

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because it's significantly more common in clownfish then velvet and kills just as fast. OP added clowns then his fish deaths started. Ich doesn't kill that fast.
I know these things - I was asking the person that posted the answer: (i.e. jkreefers)). No offense. Of course Brook is more common in clownfish - I don't remember suggesting it was Ich? Brook does not kill other fish as quickly IMHO. Perhaps you know something different? This was my answer:
"This is likely velvet. No one will know - if there are still fish - and if you haven't quarantined them - I would put them through the protocol at the top of the page. You will need a fallow period - Unfortunate - I'm choosing the worst case scenario - i.e. a fallow period - 2.5 months. There are numerous protocols. BTW - you also need to treat any remaining fish (I'm not sure there are any). Pictures of dead fish do not show disease as well. Unfortunately - if you could give more history - etc - as per the link in my signature - it might help"

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these things - I was asking the person that posted the answer: (i.e. jkreefers)). No offense. Of course Brook is more common in clownfish - I don't remember suggesting it was Ich? Brook does not kill other fish as quickly IMHO. Perhaps you know something different? This was my answer:
"This is likely velvet. No one will know - if there are still fish - and if you haven't quarantined them - I would put them through the protocol at the top of the page. You will need a fallow period - Unfortunate - I'm choosing the worst case scenario - i.e. a fallow period - 2.5 months. There are numerous protocols. BTW - you also need to treat any remaining fish (I'm not sure there are any). Pictures of dead fish do not show disease as well. Unfortunately - if you could give more history - etc - as per the link in my signature - it might help"
I agree with you, will never know for sure but if you consider the ratio of sick clownfish posts on the site with brook versus velvet I think you can say brook most likely. Plus the timeline, his clowns were in the tank a month and then every thing starts dying. When I had brook, my clowns showed initial symptoms about a month in then as the disease took hold in the tank death came quick for the fish. Totally agree with the fallow recommendation. It's funny, clowns are my favorite reef fish but I'll never add one to the tank again. I got mine from LFS in business 40 years and QT. They were the first fish in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the fact diagnosis is tough.
Brooklynella hits clownfish first. You’ll see white mucus on their bodies. It can spread to other fish in severe cases.
Velvet causes only rapid breathing and death in 48 hours or so.
Ich has the classic white spots and fish don’t seem sick for the first few days.

Are any fish left alive?

Jay

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its nice to be able to rule out a parameter issue. it makes the round two very correctable

can fallow clear out brook?

only installing disease-prepped fish and fallowing all entrants added from a pet store/snails corals etc will fix that right up in the future.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the speed of progression it seems like either brooks or velvet to me. Ich possibly too but usually fish can overcome that especially if eating normally as you said they have been. As others have mentioned a fallow period for the tank would be wise. Sorry for your fish losses.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read once that velvet can't be cleared from a system by fallow...would that indicate him restarting the entire system/is that the only way to clear out velvet after introduction via unprepped fish or surfaces

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back