new fishes added need advice on feeding (moorish idol,Flame Angel, Blue Hippo Tang)

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello i just got some new additions and i need a little help on the care and feeding advice on these new fish i bought i don't have a quarantine tank and i just added them to my tank via 35min. temp. acclimation following 45min. drip acclimation and those fishes are moorish idol AKA. Black & White Heniochus,Flame Angel, Blue Hippo Tang currently I'm feeding my tank (fishes) LRS FISH FRENZY frozen food once per day maybe twice alot

Last edited:

Averill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 55g I have a sail fin, blue hippo, 3 clownfish, a blenny, a flasher wrasse, and various algae eaters and I feed a serving of brine shrimp, morning and night and a sprinkle of flakes and pellets 1 time a day

Averill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good way to tell is by how much food is still floating in your tank after 2 minutes. If there is a lot of uneaten food at that time then they are being over fed. Otherwise twice a day should be fine. Also if you have tangs remember they are nibblers and like seaweed to snack on as well

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be praying for you as you just placed an ick magnet in you display tank a Hippo Blue tang. Moorish Idols are very difficult fish to keep and may eat but do not do well in aquariums.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? How long has it been setup?

A Moorish idol and a black and white heniochus are two different fish. Moorish idols are notoriously difficult, heniochus are significantly easier.

Feeding a varied diet is best, as well as more frequent, smaller meals, instead of one or two larger meals. Feed only what they can eat in about 30 seconds, unless it is something to graze on, such as algae sheets or clams on the half shell. Ffed less than you think you need to as well, since you can always add more food, but it is difficult to take out if you overfeed.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morish idols should be left to the experts and a very established tank that's at least 200 gallons. It needs lots of sponge in its diet and needs to be fed throughout the day in the wild they are very fat fishes. I've been in the hobby over 15 years and I have always wanted one but not enough to chance it. Hope it works out for you just remember to feed it lots of sponge

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Banner Butterfly you won't be able to put any acros in you tank and the Hippo Tang is going to get big, so I hope you have a larger tank. Be sure to add nori or some other green algae as well. Just a FYI Good Luck!:)

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all that was helpful ohh by the way my fish is not a moorish idol it's a heniochus I made a mistake all this fishes are juvenile and turns out the heniochus is voted out of the tank sad to say he started picking on my zoas

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all that was helpful ohh by the way my fish is not a moorish idol it's a heniochus I made a mistake all this fishes are juvenile and turns out the heniochus is voted out of the tank sad to say he started picking on my zoas
There are a few species of Heniochus, diphreutes are mostly reef safe, the remaining species are not.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back