2” blue hippo defending itself

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new 2” blue hippo tang to the general population, which includes a 3” Watanabe Angel, who started showing some pretty fierce aggression to the new addition. After breaking it up a couple of times with a gentle tap on the glass, and placing a mirror, now I see the blue hippo defending itself! I was super happy to see that, as well as the fish swimming in open water quite a bit. I certainly didn’t expect that and thought it would go straight to a cave and call it a night.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new blue hippo tang to the general population, which includes a 3” Watanabe Angel, who started showing some pretty fierce aggression to the new addition. After breaking it up a couple of times with a gentle tap on the glass, and placing a mirror, now I see the blue hippo defending itself! I was super happy to see that, as well as the fish swimming in open water quite a bit. I certainly didn’t expect that and thought it would go straight to a cave and call it a night.
Hippos surprise me all the time with stuff like this! When I added mine he was the smallest tang and the purple and yellow harassed him non stop. This dude just casually swam away and threw tail strikes back until they backed off! How big is yours??

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippos surprise me all the time with stuff like this! When I added mine he was the smallest tang and the purple and yellow harassed him non stop. This dude just casually swam away and threw tail strikes back until they backed off! How big is yours??
Love it! Mine is about 2”…meant to mention that in the OP

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new 2” blue hippo tang to the general population, which includes a 3” Watanabe Angel, who started showing some pretty fierce aggression to the new addition. After breaking it up a couple of times with a gentle tap on the glass, and placing a mirror, now I see the blue hippo defending itself! I was super happy to see that, as well as the fish swimming in open water quite a bit. I certainly didn’t expect that and thought it would go straight to a cave and call it a night.
Aggression to me has 2 faces. 1. And most common is what looks like “talking smack” a new fish will get pushed around, brushed up against, tail whipped etc. but no real physical damage. 2. Real damage. Chasing, biting, ripping off fins and so on. Both are tough to watch but it’s all about territory. Congrats on your new Tang. I’ve had mine (Van Gogh) for over 10 years. (The kids have named the fish) :smirking-face:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression to me has 2 faces. 1. And most common is what looks like “talking smack” a new fish will get pushed around, brushed up against, tail whipped etc. but no real physical damage. 2. Real damage. Chasing, biting, ripping off fins and so on. Both are tough to watch but it’s all about territory. Congrats on your new Tang. I’ve had mine (Van Gogh) for over 10 years. (The kids have named the fish) :smirking-face:
This is where I think there’s a difference between aggression and boisterousness. I’d say the pushing round and no actual damage is the fish being boisterous but as soon as there is actual damage shown that’s aggression.

I’ve noticed my wrasses don’t actually cause harm to eachother but do push eachother around. I’ve never described them as aggressive but definitely boisterous.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back