2” blue hippo defending itself

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefer911
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Messages
1,536
Reaction score
888
Location
Pensacola, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new 2” blue hippo tang to the general population, which includes a 3” Watanabe Angel, who started showing some pretty fierce aggression to the new addition. After breaking it up a couple of times with a gentle tap on the glass, and placing a mirror, now I see the blue hippo defending itself! I was super happy to see that, as well as the fish swimming in open water quite a bit. I certainly didn’t expect that and thought it would go straight to a cave and call it a night.
 
Last edited:
I just added a new blue hippo tang to the general population, which includes a 3” Watanabe Angel, who started showing some pretty fierce aggression to the new addition. After breaking it up a couple of times with a gentle tap on the glass, and placing a mirror, now I see the blue hippo defending itself! I was super happy to see that, as well as the fish swimming in open water quite a bit. I certainly didn’t expect that and thought it would go straight to a cave and call it a night.
Hippos surprise me all the time with stuff like this! When I added mine he was the smallest tang and the purple and yellow harassed him non stop. This dude just casually swam away and threw tail strikes back until they backed off! How big is yours??
 
Hippos surprise me all the time with stuff like this! When I added mine he was the smallest tang and the purple and yellow harassed him non stop. This dude just casually swam away and threw tail strikes back until they backed off! How big is yours??
Love it! Mine is about 2”…meant to mention that in the OP
 
I just added a new 2” blue hippo tang to the general population, which includes a 3” Watanabe Angel, who started showing some pretty fierce aggression to the new addition. After breaking it up a couple of times with a gentle tap on the glass, and placing a mirror, now I see the blue hippo defending itself! I was super happy to see that, as well as the fish swimming in open water quite a bit. I certainly didn’t expect that and thought it would go straight to a cave and call it a night.
Aggression to me has 2 faces. 1. And most common is what looks like “talking smack” a new fish will get pushed around, brushed up against, tail whipped etc. but no real physical damage. 2. Real damage. Chasing, biting, ripping off fins and so on. Both are tough to watch but it’s all about territory. Congrats on your new Tang. I’ve had mine (Van Gogh) for over 10 years. (The kids have named the fish) :smirking-face:
 
Aggression to me has 2 faces. 1. And most common is what looks like “talking smack” a new fish will get pushed around, brushed up against, tail whipped etc. but no real physical damage. 2. Real damage. Chasing, biting, ripping off fins and so on. Both are tough to watch but it’s all about territory. Congrats on your new Tang. I’ve had mine (Van Gogh) for over 10 years. (The kids have named the fish) :smirking-face:
This is where I think there’s a difference between aggression and boisterousness. I’d say the pushing round and no actual damage is the fish being boisterous but as soon as there is actual damage shown that’s aggression.

I’ve noticed my wrasses don’t actually cause harm to eachother but do push eachother around. I’ve never described them as aggressive but definitely boisterous.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new