New flasher wrasse looking rough

  • Thread starter Thread starter jadedog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jadedog

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2025
Messages
382
Reaction score
206
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first time ever ordering a fish online i usally pick up locally. The flasher wrasse looked pretty rough in the bucket when I was acclimating him so I currently have him in a observation tank with sand and rock hes the only fish in there. He has hardly moved for 8hours hes just sitting in the sand. I have a towel half way over the display with the lights off so he feels calm. Is this normal behavior for a fish that is shipped? When he was in the bucket he was having a hard time keeping himself upright so im kinda worried. Ive been trying not to bother him is there anything else I can do? Also there was a ton of waste in the bag he came in so im wondering if he was dealing with high ammonia.
 
This was my first time ever ordering a fish online i usally pick up locally. The flasher wrasse looked pretty rough in the bucket when I was acclimating him so I currently have him in a observation tank with sand and rock hes the only fish in there. He has hardly moved for 8hours hes just sitting in the sand. I have a towel half way over the display with the lights off so he feels calm. Is this normal behavior for a fish that is shipped? When he was in the bucket he was having a hard time keeping himself upright so im kinda worried. Ive been trying not to bother him is there anything else I can do? Also there was a ton of waste in the bag he came in so im wondering if he was dealing with high ammonia.

Do you know the salinity of the shipping water versus your tank? Any major rise in salinity, even if acclimated, can cause that issue. Another issue is with shipped fish - the ammonia in the bag becomes elevated, but the pH drops due to carbon dioxide given off by the fish. That makes the ammonia less toxic, but during acclimation, the pH rises faster than the ammonia is diluted, and that makes it more toxic and the fish suffers....

This article discusses that issue:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/acclimation-methods.903/
 
Do you know the salinity of the shipping water versus your tank? Any major rise in salinity, even if acclimated, can cause that issue. Another issue is with shipped fish - the ammonia in the bag becomes elevated, but the pH drops due to carbon dioxide given off by the fish. That makes the ammonia less toxic, but during acclimation, the pH rises faster than the ammonia is diluted, and that makes it more toxic and the fish suffers....

This article discusses that issue:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/acclimation-methods.903/
Yes it was 1.019 when I opened it I got him up to 1.024. He was having trouble controlling himself as soon as I cut the bag open. Im guessing I just leave him be and see what happens. I think your right about the ammonia his bag had a ton of poop
 
Yes it was 1.019 when I opened it I got him up to 1.024. He was having trouble controlling himself as soon as I cut the bag open. Im guessing I just leave him be and see what happens. I think your right about the ammonia his bag had a ton of poop

How does it look this morning?

That could have been due to the ammonia, the salinity rise, or shock in general.

There is also this issue:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/
 
He ate some food and now he is swimming around slowly.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new