New Florida Reefer

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a couple questions for all.
1. What are your thoughts on buying used equipment? Are there certain items you wouldn't buy used?
2. What do you look for or ask when buying that used equipment?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris and while some will say tanks are something they wouldn't buy used, both my main tanks were used. My 180 gallon I'm its third owner and I found that on a local hobby website for sale - his daughter was starting college and it was a way for me to return to hobby without hunting down everything (and save a LOT of money over new). My recent FOWLR tanks both came thru FaceBook, one was a local FB group and the other thru FB Marketplace.

When buying used, SEE it in person. I've been hearing a LOT of scammers out there so don't pay money without seeing it. Also don't post your cell where just anyone can see, only PM/IM/conversation that personal info to someone - someone who personally knows someone was still scammed by sending money for a coral but thought the person they knew just had a new cell number... Internet is turning into the wild west... just use common sense

JamaicanReefer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am new to this forum and consider myself a beginner. I did have a nanocube 13 years ago which I really enjoyed. My brother has a 36g BF that he is passing on to me. He has drained the water and still has all his LR. He had his setup for fish only and most of his equipment is pretty old or needed to be replaced. With that being said, below you will find a few questions & list of what I intend to purchase in order to make this a reef & coral tank. I am definitely open to suggestions on equipment, setup and pointing me in the direction of threads I should read.

Questions:
1. I have not had my eye's on the tank since he drained, but I believe I will need to clean the glass. What would be the best method for this? Vinegar?
2. LR: Would you recommend I do anything prior to putting in the tank prior to cycling?

Equipment:
In my experience with my other hobbies, your equipment plays a vital roll in your success. Buy once cry once! As I don't have an open checkbook, this is what I was thinking. Please let me know what you think.

Light: Prime 16 HD LED Reef Light - Black Body - Aqua Illumination
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 1000 Hang-on-Back Protein Skimmer
Heater: 100W Titanium Aquarium Heater w/ Helio Controller - Bulk Reef Supply
Powerhead: Nero 3 Powerhead (2000 GPH) - Aqua Illumination
Auto Top-off: Prism Auto Top Off - ReefBreeders
Testing Kit: BRS Master Test Kit Bundle - Bulk Reef Supply
RO Filter: Aquatic life RO Buddie plus DI four stage RO deionization unit 50 GPD

Thanks for your input.
Welcome to the hobby you will enjoy it where in Florida your from?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back