OP
OP
B

BanditoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! And welcome back to the hobby!!

My tank was disgusting when I got it and I couldn't get it cleaned for the life of me, someone told me ORIGINAL magic erasers, and that worked like magic making my tank look brand new with minimal effort, just be careful not to scratch it, and I wouldn't use it on acrylic

And your live rock are you getting from a store that's currently in a tank, or are you putting in dry rock to make it live?
Thanks JZ199! I was planning on using the rock my brother had in the tank.

OP
OP
B

BanditoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Where at in Florida? As others have said, magic erasers are wonderful. Vinegar works but I prefer citric acid . It's a little bit more gentle on pumps and silicone also, plus it stinks a lot less. You can fill the tank up with water and citric acid and let it run for a day and then drain it and the scrubbing will be easier.

What kind of livestock do you plan on keeping? The single prime will probably be ok to start, but you might want to add a second if you want a lot of demanding corals.
I am planning on keeping soft corals and a few fish. Yeah, I was wondering if one would work or not.

OP
OP
B

BanditoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome!
happy red panda GIF

for your questions:
1. vinegar or citric acid. Citric acid doesn't make you smell like vin does.
2. at least one bug water change after you get the tank wet and before adding livestock. there will be a lot of die-off if it hasn't stayed active.

you look set up for success, but I would go with a bigger ro filter. 50 gpd is really not a lot. I would also add a way to mechanically remove solid waste, hob filter or sump.
With regards to what you said about a filter. Would the Tunze Comline Multifilter 3163 do the trick? It mentions using built in skimmer, so would that take away needing the Octopus skimmer?
Comline Multifilter 3163 Internal Power Filter - Tunze

OP
OP
B

BanditoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). Its never too early to start, and your above plans seem ideal to just copy into new thread to get it started!

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks! I will definitely be doing a build thread once I get started.

OP
OP
B

BanditoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! What region of Florida are you in? I'm outside of Pensacola.

The only equipment listed here that I can speak about is your lighting. I have two AI prime 16HDs on a 40g tank. I ran one for a while and was able to grow softie corals with it but I had to position the corals directly under the single light and the edges of the tank were pretty dark. The concentrated puck on the AI prime puts out a ton of light but they don't spread the light out much, that seems to be mostly the norm with LED lighting. I am about to add this T5 fixture and I think it will help a lot with the spread and shadows. The other issue with the AI is the software that programs it is difficult to work with at times. All of that being said, I would probably choose the AI Primes again if I was starting over.

Also, BRS is a great resource for finding equipment and info, but shop each piece of equipment around. When I was setting everything up on my tank I just blindly purchased from BRS and then found many items were cheaper elsewhere.
I'm in Jacksonville. Yeah I was wondering if (1) would do. Yeah BRS looked like a great site to researching equipment and planned on shopping around for better deals if possible.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to what you said about a filter. Would the Tunze Comline Multifilter 3163 do the trick? It mentions using built in skimmer, so would that take away needing the Octopus skimmer?
Comline Multifilter 3163 Internal Power Filter - Tunze
It would work for my purposes. as far as removing the need for a protein skimmer, in the beginning, yeah. I am not the expert, but as far as I understand, what you linked or something like this would be for suspended solids. What i'd do is the filter, yours or the one I linked, then when you get really stocked and nutrients become an issue, add the protein skimmer. the protein skimmer removes bound protein offering something different. to get in the weeds, you'll have to look elsewhere.

The one you linked would do the same as the one I linked.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Jacksonville. Yeah I was wondering if (1) would do. Yeah BRS looked like a great site to researching equipment and planned on shopping around for better deals if possible.
Nice, I grew up in Jacksonville. I miss that area.

Good luck to you on your journey!

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Jacksonville.

I'm in Ocala now but lived in Jax for a long time, and did my first two years of college there. There is a Duval reef keepers group over on the book of faces that posts a lot of good trades and deals.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean everything with citric acid...wear gloves it will irritate your skin.

For the tank you said it was drilled...sides or bottom?? I ask cause if you aren't going to plumb in a sump tank you will have to plug those holes with bulkheads and plugs to close them off. I recommend a sump...a 20!gallon and you can buy sump inserts that glue to the glass....space for equipment and more water volume

I can't say the lights, I run Noo-psyche with T5s

Check market place too...and honestly I wish I would have saw Saltwateraquarium.com hanna test kit bundle.

Enjoy the ride!! I am very new but I love it!

reef.jpg

OP
OP
B

BanditoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a couple questions for all.
1. What are your thoughts on buying used equipment? Are there certain items you wouldn't buy used?
2. What do you look for or ask when buying that used equipment?

Thanks,
Chris

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so you are in duval? Download the Band app and find “duval reefekeepers fish and coral sales” and “Duval reef deal and trade”. You will find all the coral you ever want at really great hobbyist pricing.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a couple questions for all.
1. What are your thoughts on buying used equipment? Are there certain items you wouldn't buy used?
2. What do you look for or ask when buying that used equipment?

Thanks,
Chris

Id say buying used is great. I specifically avoid used tanks and heaters though. But skimmers, lights, sumps, power heads, etc. are good to go and usually cheap.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back