OP
OP
DarthRaiderBob

DarthRaiderBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @DarthRaiderBob and welcome to R2R!! Glad you joined us!! We would like to know which species of livestock you have?
Currently in this tank is a sailfin tang, coral beauty angel, black saddle back clown, dwarf pygmy angel, 2 splendid dottybacks a cleaner goby and a Picasso clown along with a long spine sea urchin.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm Bob and my wife Holly and I were just gifted a 75 gallon setup fish and all. We've had freshwater for a few years now and were given the opportunity to make the leap to saltwater. Currently no corals but we are ready to dive in! Our tank is the home to 9 fish and a long spine urchin. Hope to get to know some folks and if you're from the mercer County area let's connect.

20220322_070951.jpg

WESTERN PA STEELER COUNTRY GANG ROLLLLL CALL! I’m in butler county. Gotta fellow reefer in Mercer. Shoot me a message!

OP
OP
DarthRaiderBob

DarthRaiderBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, hopefully the last gasp of winter. The robins in my yard are probably wondering why they came back north so early.
I sure hope so. Got a couple test kits yesterday. Did a small water change today and retested. Nitrate is still 10 but alk is 9.3 so, I am thinking it's doing really well. Are you thinking about going to Pittsburgh on the 9th?

reef6111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope so. Got a couple test kits yesterday. Did a small water change today and retested. Nitrate is still 10 but alk is 9.3 so, I am thinking it's doing really well. Are you thinking about going to Pittsburgh on the 9th?
I haven’t tested nitrates in my tank in a while now. Your alk is right where I like to keep mine, I also like to check my calcium every once in a while ( I try to keep it around 480 ppm). I don’t test as often as I used to, I add about 25 ml of alk and calcium per day and that seems to keep the numbers where I need them. I struggle to keep my ph above 8, but that’s more of a winter related problem ( higher CO2 in the house with no windows open= lower tank PH). Bulk Reef supply has dry soda ash and dry calcium mix that works well for maintaining alk and calcium ( I also have used their dry magnesium). Won’t be going to Pittsburgh as we have other plans that weekend, but it sounds like a great event. I don’t really have any more room in my tank right now for additional coral anyhow.

OP
OP
DarthRaiderBob

DarthRaiderBob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tested nitrates in my tank in a while now. Your alk is right where I like to keep mine, I also like to check my calcium every once in a while ( I try to keep it around 480 ppm). I don’t test as often as I used to, I add about 25 ml of alk and calcium per day and that seems to keep the numbers where I need them. I struggle to keep my ph above 8, but that’s more of a winter related problem ( higher CO2 in the house with no windows open= lower tank PH). Bulk Reef supply has dry soda ash and dry calcium mix that works well for maintaining alk and calcium ( I also have used their dry magnesium). Won’t be going to Pittsburgh as we have other plans that weekend, but it sounds like a great event. I don’t really have any more room in my tank right now for additional coral anyhow.
I want to go but, it's also the wife's birthday so we will do what she wants of course. I'm probably going to test alot until I'm very comfortable with how the tank is doing. Being new I probably worry too much. It is an established tank, I didn't start from scratch but the previous owner never did well with corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back