New G2 Red Sea Reefer XL 300 Return Valve Nightmare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Red Sea custom plumbing kit and put a real gate valve in mine. I’m running dual return pumps so I get some issues with the pumps fluctuating but my water level stays somewhat consistent. I had some issues with the ATK and roller Mat when the fleece rolls it raises my return chamber a few mm and sets off the atk alarm but I solved that by lowering the advance distance on the fleece. My water level in the overflow is rock solid though

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0218.jpeg
    IMG_0218.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0219.jpeg
    IMG_0219.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 143

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Red Sea custom plumbing kit and put a real gate valve in mine. I’m running dual return pumps so I get some issues with the pumps fluctuating but my water level stays somewhat consistent. I had some issues with the ATK and roller Mat when the fleece rolls it raises my return chamber a few mm and sets off the atk alarm but I solved that by lowering the advance distance on the fleece. My water level in the overflow is rock solid though
Aaron, would you mind detailing what parts you used to put in the new gate valve and how you connected it to the ReefMat? I have a new RedSea 525 G2 with Reefmat and am considering doing these upgrades before filling the tank with water. Your setup looks perfect and would like to copy it if possible.

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought the adapters from this company (search for your correct model number). I think red sea sells them too but they were sold out for my size when I tried to get it directly. It came in Red Sea packaging though so its the right part. After that I had to adapt the return lines from .75 to 1 inch but if you're not running a UV you might be able to just keep the return line .75 inch pipes (assuming your 525 is .75 too - check the adapter size description). The drains were already 1 inch so I just glued the pipes into the adapter. I used a schedule 8 reducing fitting. After that its all just schedule 80 fittings/unions/gate valves and schedule 40 colored pipes. I purchased all of that from BRS.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought the adapters from this company (search for your correct model number). I think red sea sells them too but they were sold out for my size when I tried to get it directly. It came in Red Sea packaging though so its the right part. After that I had to adapt the return lines from .75 to 1 inch but if you're not running a UV you might be able to just keep the return line .75 inch pipes (assuming your 525 is .75 too - check the adapter size description). The drains were already 1 inch so I just glued the pipes into the adapter. I used a schedule 8 reducing fitting. After that its all just schedule 80 fittings/unions/gate valves and schedule 40 colored pipes. I purchased all of that from BRS.
Thank you. I appreciate the link as well as the pictures of your setup!

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently experiencing this nightmare with my Reefer 170 G2. It’s throwing my salinity off by as much as 0.8ppm. For now, i’m resorting to two “solutions”:

- ReefWave set to uniform wave (so it’s more consistent and less random), and a slightly lower intensity (20%, which I’ll raise if l see stability, just want to remove variability where I can for now)
- Running a high overflow level where it’s barely trickling into the emergency overflow; this doesn’t make extra noise for me

Will see how that goes! I found getting the level to 1cm below the emergency was easy enough to set with micro adjustments, but it just doesn’t stay there for good. I usually get a pretty stable level for most of the day, but then over night something changes and I wake up to 2 litres of RO added, and the level is now at the top again. I’m wondering if it’s the temperature of my house, as I don’t have heating on through the night. Only variable I can think of.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m currently experiencing this nightmare with my Reefer 170 G2. It’s throwing my salinity off by as much as 0.8ppm. For now, i’m resorting to two “solutions”:

- ReefWave set to uniform wave (so it’s more consistent and less random), and a slightly lower intensity (20%, which I’ll raise if l see stability, just want to remove variability where I can for now)
- Running a high overflow level where it’s barely trickling into the emergency overflow; this doesn’t make extra noise for me

Will see how that goes! I found getting the level to 1cm below the emergency was easy enough to set with micro adjustments, but it just doesn’t stay there for good. I usually get a pretty stable level for most of the day, but then over night something changes and I wake up to 2 litres of RO added, and the level is now at the top again. I’m wondering if it’s the temperature of my house, as I don’t have heating on through the night. Only variable I can think of.

Try running more water in your sump. These tanks like to be full, like an inch from the top of the glass in the display and the sump should be over the baffle going to the return pump chamber.

Then, turn up your return pump if you have a DC pump. Too slow of flow on the return can cause trouble too. Then, make SMALL adjusting your dial and let it sit for an hour to bleed air out.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running more water in your sump. These tanks like to be full, like an inch from the top of the glass in the display and the sump should be over the baffle going to the return pump chamber.

Then, turn up your return pump if you have a DC pump. Too slow of flow on the return can cause trouble too. Then, make SMALL adjusting your dial and let it sit for an hour to bleed air out.
what do you mean with turn up your return pump?
I mean I have the 200XL and my return pump can do 1321 gph and I use 30% of it.

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for your ATO?
I'm using the Red Sea Reef ATO+, works really well... but this overflow issue plays havoc with the levels in the sump, so can cause the ATO sensor to trigger more. I think the "solution" is to simply run the tank "full", where the display volume is always high.

Basically what happens is, you get your level correct in the overflow box (by Red Sea's instructions, it should sit 1cm lower than the emergency overflow). That might hold steady for 12 hours or so, but for whatever reason, it might decide to just start rising, essentially pulling more water out of the sump and into the main display, so that will trigger the ATO sensor. So then later, it decides to lower in the overlflow box for whatever reason, now there's a lot more water in the sump, meaning if it stays like that, you can go a whole 24 hours or more before the ATO triggers. And this whole back and forth process continues.

So I think if you just run the tank where the overflow is always sorta maxing out, you can then maintain consistency in the two volumes.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Red Sea Reef ATO+, works really well... but this overflow issue plays havoc with the levels in the sump, so can cause the ATO sensor to trigger more. I think the "solution" is to simply run the tank "full", where the display volume is always high.

Basically what happens is, you get your level correct in the overflow box (by Red Sea's instructions, it should sit 1cm lower than the emergency overflow). That might hold steady for 12 hours or so, but for whatever reason, it might decide to just start rising, essentially pulling more water out of the sump and into the main display, so that will trigger the ATO sensor. So then later, it decides to lower in the overlflow box for whatever reason, now there's a lot more water in the sump, meaning if it stays like that, you can go a whole 24 hours or more before the ATO triggers. And this whole back and forth process continues.

So I think if you just run the tank where the overflow is always sorta maxing out, you can then maintain consistency in the two volumes.
Well, that describes my problem on point!
I have the same issue...

But I can hear the noise when the overflow box is maxed and the water runs down the emergency overflow.
Cant you hear that?

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that describes my problem on point!
I have the same issue...

But I can hear the noise when the overflow box is maxed and the water runs down the emergency overflow.
Cant you hear that?
I can't hear it right now, no. I have it where it's barely trickling into the emergency overflow. It could be that the noise from my filter sock "silencer" is simply louder than any noise from the overflow, though. I have chosen to not instal my Reef Mat for now, as the tank is new and cycling, so I don't really need to export a lot of nutrients. Planned on adding it after a few months and higher livestock.

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you're adding RO (and not saltwater), the salinity should always stabilize (even if it does fluctuate a bit during the day).
Yeah, I have RO water in my RO reservoir.

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the end of my rope here, It's 4am and I've been up for 3 days working on this nightmare. Either I've forgotten everything I've ever learned in my 30 years of keeping reef tanks or my Red Sea has gremlins.

Red Sea finally sent a new valve. Didn't do a thing. I replaced the Ecotech Vectra S2 with a new Ecotech Vectra S2, I've adjusted the baffles in the sump, I've cleaned pipes that are only 6 months old, I mean I've done everything.

Took my ReefMat 500 out, cleaned it, checked the hose, etc. I have always had a bit of this issue, but it got unbearable recently. When I bought the tank and all equipment, one of those pieces was the ReefMat 500. I bought 6 extra rolls when I purchased the tank.

I recently ran out and ordered 6 more from BRS. Same place I bought the first 6 from. The water WILL NOT hardly flow through these new fleece rolls. It is like Red Sea went from 200 micron fleece, down to 100 or 50 as the flow just cannot be adjusted.

I have my return pump on 15 percent...... 15 percent and it still is occurring. I mean this is maddening and Red Sea you can't even call them.....
Sorry for refreshing an older thread, but I have the Reefer 300 G2 and have the exact same issue. I got mine about two months ago and am running the ReefRun 5500 return pump. No matter what I do the level is inconsistent. It's either too high and rushing down the emergency pipe, or not enough and the overflow chamber is dry. I've adjusted the reef mat to move at the smallest increments, I've got the pump set to 50% and monitoring the power with the Apex and it's steady, and Red Sea is all but useless in their help. I think it's just the design...

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer owner, I will put in my 2 cents.

Don't even attempt to get all of the water flowing through the primary drain. You need to have a slight amount going through the secondary drain. If even a slight amount is going through the secondary you will have no issues. if you find that the secondary is too loud, then add a Durso or maggie muffler to it. I added a maggie mini to my secondary drain and could not be happier. The prospect of perfectly dialing in the main drain so that no water is going through the secondary drain is nothing but foolish.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry for refreshing an older thread, but I have the Reefer 300 G2 and have the exact same issue. I got mine about two months ago and am running the ReefRun 5500 return pump. No matter what I do the level is inconsistent. It's either too high and rushing down the emergency pipe, or not enough and the overflow chamber is dry. I've adjusted the reef mat to move at the smallest increments, I've got the pump set to 50% and monitoring the power with the Apex and it's steady, and Red Sea is all but useless in their help. I think it's just the design...

Hey Sheldon,

I've pretty much corrected mine. Adjust your return pump where you need it. If you want it faster, then adjust it or leave it like it is.

This happens because there isn't enough water in the system. Add a gallon or two and wait. Since I started running my level higher, I don't have any trouble.

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sheldon,

I've pretty much corrected mine. Adjust your return pump where you need it. If you want it faster, then adjust it or leave it like it is.

This happens because there isn't enough water in the system. Add a gallon or two and wait. Since I started running my level higher, I don't have any trouble.
No kidding? That's great to hear.

When you add more water, does the water no longer fall into the bubble trap before the return chamber? If I add much more water it's going to be entirely over that baffle wall.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No kidding? That's great to hear.

When you add more water, does the water no longer fall into the bubble trap before the return chamber? If I add much more water it's going to be entirely over that baffle wall.

Hey, sorry for the late response, been a bit busy. This isn't a good Pic, but where your sponge is, yes my water level is over that about an inch above it. I have a rollermat and a skimmer so it's a tight fit. I don't currently have the sponge in there.

Taking a Pic looks really dirty in there haha. I need to clean.

20240330_210735.jpg

Back