New Gyre knock off

Rutrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this warning is how they are getting around the patent issue.

Notice : CrossFlow Pump is NOT a WaveMaker ! You cannot using Normal WaveMaker compare with CrossFlow Pump. WaveMaker is create a wave on your tank in One Area (Very strong flow), but crossflow pump is generation a flow Only in your tank ! It;s will not very strong or create a wave in your tank! For Jebao RW15 Flow Gereration is more better than CP-40 on a center area! Do Not order if you not Agree on it

I got the email from the site where this is quoted from. It was interesting to note at the bottom of the product page it also says "Shipping: Can send to Worldwide except USA"

Most interesting.

I'm sure there are patent infringments, and not a bit surprised if Coral Vue sends a cease and desist letter....which the Chinese will just chuckle at. Total disregard for patent law. The US Patent Office is what Chinese companys call "Product Development."

The funny thing is Maxspect who made the "original" product that CoralVue distributes and reps in the US is also a Chinese company. I don't know anything about Chinese patent law or if there even is such a thing, but you'd think that Maxspect would be going after Jebao in China.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only product that has a positive review is the box that the pumps come in........ you can use them as critter box :p

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are basically the Flea Market for pumps. Cheap Chi for s Cheap price
I got the email from the site where this is quoted from. It was interesting to note at the bottom of the product page it also says "Shipping: Can send to Worldwide except USA"

The funny thing is Maxspect who made the "original" product that CoralVue distributes and reps in the US is also a Chinese company. I don't know anything about Chinese patent law or if there even is such a thing, but you'd think that Maxspect would be going after Jebao in China.

Saw the same thing on their website not shipping to the USA. Lets see if that is true

OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed the link to the sale of this product. We are not going to support this in any way. Thanks.
Hi Rev,
This was an omg thread....not a suggest you buy it thread.....just wanted you to know where I was coming from starting it....couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this...

Brandon Chi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some Jebao and can't beat the affordable prices and never had an issue with their products. TeamJebao

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just talked to a LFS owner in Houston and he told me that Jeabo can't import these to the US, thank God!

But this doesn't stop the international retailers.....internet sales.....from selling them here.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But this doesn't stop the international retailers.....internet sales.....from selling them here.

Problem is the voltage.
As of now they have them in Europe only and the wall plugs only are so weeeeeeird there.

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I got a 300 gallon last week and was going to get the maxspect gyre. I just ordered 2 of these instead. Not the WiFi ones.

Is the Jebao 40 equivalent to the gyre 130 or 150?
Careful with the Non Wifi. If you read the fine print, you'll see that the non wifi ones are a Pump ONLY. The have an adjustable speed, that is all. The wifi is what unlocks the alternating settings and different modes. This is how I read it at least on fish-street dot com. They are quite adamant, in broken English, that without the wifi option you acknowledge that you're just getting a basic constant speed pump. And for the $175 for the wifi one shipped, I would prob just spend the extra $ on the maxspect gyre. Think of all the improvements that have been made to the gyres mounts, controller, wiring, paddles and God knows what else, since it's release. I'm sure the Jebao/Jecod won't have the same improvements and if so, it'll be just as shaky and problematic, if not more, than the original released Gyre.

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some Jebao and can't beat the affordable prices and never had an issue with their products. TeamJebao

Good luck with that. . Just a warning.. My friend who happens to be my neighbor and fellow reefer as well as a member here nearly had his house burn down as a result of the Jebao WP series power supply catching fire. That is not the only case of that happening either. Had he not been home, it would have been a disaster. I have another friend with a Jebao DC Pump that the controller shoots sparks out of it when plugged in and powered on and would surely start a fire. When Jebao initially released the WP series, the power supplies were being shipped with counterfeit UL labels to make it through customs. They are a real stand up company who really cares about the well being on your family let alone your tank. They produce second rate copies of products that are prone to failure and are poorly made. The failure rates on the WP series and RW series are in the 50% + range in the first 12 months based on what I have seen first hand on friends tanks as well as somebody I know who has sold dozens of them. The failure rates are nearly 90% in 16 months.

Furthermore, Jebao is currently in litigation with Hydor over their RW series for patent infringement. They had cease and desist notifications from Tunze over patent infringement and now are facing litigication from Maxspect over their Gyre knock off. It's a shame that people support and reward companies by lining the pockets of companies who steal designs of other companies by knocking off products. The WP series was quickly end of lifed due to infringing on Tunze's designs, the Gyre knockoff is currently prohibited from being shipped to the states and the RW series will be next due to the Hydor complaint. Certainly not the signs of an innovative or trustworthy company.
http://www.itcblog.com/images/hydorcomplaint.pdf

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Tunze's in my tank and they have had the hell beaten out of them for the last 5 or so years and only get cleaned every few years yet they never skip a beat. I'd love to see a Jebao anything look like this and still function. While I may be affiliated with Royal Exclusiv, I am pretty unbiased and support any innovative company who produces quality equipment such as Tunze, Ecotech, Maxpsect etc and advocate all of their products. We have too much invested in our systems to jeopardize our livestock let alone homes with shoddy equipment that is poorly made and prone to failure. Sometimes, you actually do get what you pay for or worse, sometimes you get more than you bargained for which was nearly the case for my friend.

While not Gyre related, these are my two 6205's and one 6105 after 3 years without cleaning. These pictures were taken a month or so ago when I finally decided to clean them. That's all coraline buildup and despite turning on and off every fraction of a second for the past 5 years straight and over 3 years without being cleaned, they still produced great flow and have never skipped a beat. The comparable Jebao wouldn't hold a candle to a Tunze or Ecotech Vortech in terms of flow, quality and reliability.
image_zpsb1z67i6d.jpeg

image_zpszw7nnfc7.jpeg

image_zpsxtyzcssu.jpeg

image_zps0zewgtb4.jpeg

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my $.02 and take it at what you will. I have a real Gyre and I'm not sure if I have a bad unit, or I've just gotten too old to figure it out. But I'm have a ton on problems with mine. I'm not saying this to bash Coralvue at all.. Quite the opposite actually.. I'm currently working with @Carlos@CoralVue to figure out what is going on with it... But I can say this FROM EXPERIENCE.. There's a ton of little moving parts inside this thing.. Important pieces too.. And I've had tons of experience with Chinese quality over the years.. And while it may be good enough for the average power head there's not way possible it would last in a delicate, complex, little device like this. It's for sure not going to be "more better".. And when it's not working out for you I guarantee you won't have a guy like Carlos or @Chris@CoralVue to help you get where you need to be. You'll get "send hundred dollar and we send pump".. And if you keep buying the knockoffs instead off the originals than the innovation will stop. There was a difference the first round as the mp40 knockoffs were really a knockoff of about 10 different pumps.. But now with the water blaster knockoffs and the gyre knockoffs.. We as hobbiest need to decide where the future of the hobby is going to be.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with that. . Just a warning.. My friend who happens to be my neighbor and fellow reefer as well as a member here nearly had his house burn down as a result of the Jebao WP series power supply catching fire. That is not the only case of that happening either. Had he not been home, it would have been a disaster. I have another friend with a Jebao DC Pump that the controller shoots sparks out of it when plugged in and powered on and would surely start a fire. When Jebao initially released the WP series, the power supplies were being shipped with counterfeit UL labels to make it through customs. They are a real stand up company who really cares about the well being on your family let alone your tank. They produce second rate copies of products that are prone to failure and are poorly made. The failure rates on the WP series and RW series are in the 50% + range in the first 12 months based on what I have seen first hand on friends tanks as well as somebody I know who has sold dozens of them. The failure rates are nearly 90% in 16 months.

Furthermore, Jebao is currently in litigation with Hydor over their RW series for patent infringement. They had cease and desist notifications from Tunze over patent infringement and now are facing litigication from Maxspect over their Gyre knock off. It's a shame that people support and reward companies by lining the pockets of companies who steal designs of other companies by knocking off products. The WP series was quickly end of lifed due to infringing on Tunze's designs, the Gyre knockoff is currently prohibited from being shipped to the states and the RW series will be next due to the Hydor complaint. Certainly not the signs of an innovative or trustworthy company.
http://www.itcblog.com/images/hydorcomplaint.pdf

What upsets me is litigation will ultimately cost the consumer in the end. Even if they win we lose because they'll have to raise the price of the product to pay for court and lawyer costs. When we as a hobby could just band together for free and put an end to them.

Brandon Chi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Tunze's in my tank and they have had the hell beaten out of them for the last 5 or so years and only get cleaned every few years yet they never skip a beat. I'd love to see a Jebao anything look like this and still function. While I may be affiliated with Royal Exclusiv, I am pretty unbiased and support any innovative company who produces quality equipment such as Tunze, Ecotech, Maxpsect etc and advocate all of their products. We have too much invested in our systems to jeopardize our livestock let alone homes with shoddy equipment that is poorly made and prone to failure. Sometimes, you actually do get what you pay for or worse, sometimes you get more than you bargained for which was nearly the case for my friend.

While not Gyre related, these are my two 6205's and one 6105 after 3 years without cleaning. These pictures were taken a month or so ago when I finally decided to clean them. That's all coraline buildup and despite turning on and off every fraction of a second for the past 5 years straight and over 3 years without being cleaned, they still produced great flow and have never skipped a beat. The comparable Jebao wouldn't hold a candle to a Tunze or Ecotech Vortech in terms of flow, quality and reliability.
image_zpsb1z67i6d.jpeg

image_zpszw7nnfc7.jpeg

image_zpsxtyzcssu.jpeg

image_zps0zewgtb4.jpeg

To be honest I am working on getting a higher end power head like gyre . I said Team Jebao I was joking . I make a living battling American made products vs China made products because I deal with that in the skateboard industry . "We have saying never let friends ride Chinese skateboards" because my competitor is Not other US made but China so I understand all that. Like I have mostly and American made for my tank other than a couple powerheads and never thought of dishing the Jebao I have because they work for me. So I understand this thread a lot and agree on fighting off Chinese products.

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Sigh*
How do well managed companies deal with cheaper, lower quality clones? They either acquire a company to make cheaper versions of their products, or create a subsidiary. At some point almost every single premium brand does this. Litigating is the worst option. Litigating is best done only on products that share the same economic market segments.

A lot of successful startups, or smaller companies tend to believe that opening or buying a subsidiary dilutes their brand. In the real world. Dow Chemical produces to different market segments, microsoft, Apple, Exxon, GM, ext ext ext.

Gibson faced similar problems. Today if people want a gibson "clone" they buy an Epiphone. The Gibson example has been used in Colleges for decades. If people are copying your Premium product with lower quality versions, simply do the same under a subsidiary or acquisition company. The Epiphone drives sales of Gibson guitars, and the Gibson drives sales of the Epiphone. It is win win. It also prevents today's Jebao from becoming tomorrow's Samsung, or Nissan.

Someone may not be able to afford a Gibson today, but if they are going to play a cheaper version they want the one that is the next best thing. People may get a Epiphone now and in 10 years be in a different economic bracket and get a Gibson.

Gibson is made in the USA.
Fenders flagship guitars are made in the USA.

Both outsource cheaper versions, and prevent losing market share to clones. Those clones if given an opening will become the next Nokia, Samsung, Nissan, facebook ext and start eating your premium brands lunch.

Here is a simple test if you agree with me or not.

If Tunze got into the mid range market under a subsidiary and made a version of Jebao RW pumps, what brand pump would you want to buy, and what brand would you trust more in your tank. Tunze subsidiary or Jebao.

Last edited:

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Sigh*
How do well managed companies deal with cheaper, lower quality clones? They either acquire a company to make cheaper versions of their products, or create a subsidiary. At some point almost every single premium brand does this. Litigating is the worst option. Litigating is best done only on products that share the same economic market segments.

A lot of successful startups, or smaller companies tend to believe that opening or buying a subsidiary dilutes their brand. In the real world. Dow Chemical produces to different market segments, microsoft, Apple, Exxon, GM, ext ext ext.

Gibson faced similar problems. Today if people want a gibson "clone" they buy an Epiphone. The Gibson example has been used in Colleges for decades. If people are copying your Premium product with lower quality versions, simply do the same under a subsidiary or acquisition company. The Epiphone drives sales of Gibson guitars, and the Gibson drives sales of the Epiphone. It is win win. It also prevents today's Jebao from becoming tomorrow's Samsung, or Nissan.

Someone may not be able to afford a Gibson today, but if they are going to play a cheaper version they want the one that is the next best thing. People may get a Epiphone now and in 10 years be in a different economic bracket and get a Gibson.

Both outsource cheaper versions, and prevent losing market share to clones. Those clones if given an opening will become the next Nokia, Samsung, Nissan, facebook ext and start eating your premium brands lunch.

This is completely different.. It costs money to R&D new product lines. When we in the hobby see these new product lines we often pay a little more at first to offset the cost of R&D.. (The recent price drops in LED technology is a good example of this.. Companies have started to recover the R&D costs and the prices are starting to reflect that.) In this case with the Maxspect Gyre you have a company that has spent all the money in R&D and a Chinese company stealing the design.. So not only is it hurting Coralvue from undercutting production costs.. But also all the cost (and it's probably more than you might think) because the research and development of this product. So if you support this then sooner or later Coralvue won't be here and Jaebo won't be coming up with new and exciting things for us. Jaebos idea of R&D is buying a real gyre and reverse engineering it. That's not creativity at all, that's theft.

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Sigh*

Here is a simple test if you agree with me or not.

If Tunze got into the mid range market under a subsidiary and made a version of Jebao RW pumps, what brand pump would you want to buy, and what brand would you trust more in your tank. Tunze subsidiary or Jebao.

Do you realistically think that Tunze could design and produce a pump, however slightly lower quality it may be than their flagship line, manufacture it, export it to the US and retail it for $45-$55; pump, controller and power supply included?

I'm not arguing your point, I agree with and understand what you're saying, I'm just not sure that it's 100% plausible in this particular case.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back