New Hanna Gear

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure some saw BRS giving out some new untold gear today with their orders. Anyone have any clue what it is?

I see the word “Marine Master” on it

F5664F9D-8BB6-4D57-8601-63B1902D48DF.png 3DF9F4FB-9EE6-431F-AE7E-5038CBCAC10F.png

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoomed in on the site pic it’s testing Mg… but for the price tag I would be willing to be maybe it’s a tester for everything they have mini testers for? One stop shop?

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a little too late for some of us hehe
hanna.jpg

Looks like they are reusing the mold for some of their other photometers that offer internal logging and fancy LCD with menus.
Similar to this: https://www.hannainst.com/calcium-magnesium-photometer-hi97752.html
Internal logging is nice but it would be awesome if the meter offered an API to download the logs wirelessly (one can hope, right?)

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good find @joshwaggs !
It is actually a trademark, not a patent. They wouldn't be able to patent "programable photometers that can interface with cloud-based software" because that is exactly what Reefbot and Mastertronic do.
I'd think they will use the cloud connectivity to download updates to the colorimeter settings and enable the tool to work with new reagents or test new parameters. This reminds me of @wacky123 's DIY colorimeter with the color settings.

@Hanna Instruments, way to go! After seeing the possibilities I went from not caring much (since I already have all the marine testers) to being very interested,
I really hope you enable a local API for customers to download the logs using CSV or JSON. Just make it a local path that dumps the logs please!! No need to build a user interface.
If you did that I might find myself buying yet another tester :p

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITs been posted on the English Hannah website now along with the manual.
Unfortunately you have to do each test individually according to the manual.
I don't see ammonia listed, So your paying 400ish dollars (if its priced similar to European prices) for the equivalent of 7 Hannah testers (2 different nitrate tests) in one unit.
Will be nice to save space but meh I was really hoping it would be a competitor to the 1000$ spin touch that does most the tests you would do weekly at once

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see ammonia listed, So your paying 400ish dollars (if its priced similar to European prices) for the equivalent of 7 Hannah testers (2 different nitrate tests) in one unit.
Will be nice to save space but meh I was really hoping it would be a competitor to the 1000$ spin touch that does most the tests you would do weekly at once
I was hoping it did all the tests at one time. I would get that instead of a trident.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there is no mention of WiFi capability. That's a bummer :(
I was also hoping for better accuracy than the current colorimeter/checkers but the site has somewhat disappointing news there too.
The page says "The advanced optical system provides lab-quality accuracy" and "A Light Emitting Diode (LED) provides more light while using less power and a narrow band interference filter results in more accurate and repeatable readings" but after comparing the details on the website, the range, resolution, and accuracy of each of the tests have the same values as their individual checker/colorimeter counterparts.
I'd think this new "photometer" must be reasonably cheaper than buying the individual checkers for people to be interested in it or maybe for people that are really constrained with storage space. Having independent devices helps spread the risk of breaking something. If I break one of the "checkers" I just need to spend $50 but if I break this one, I'd need to replace the whole thing.
Seems that the main benefit is the internal logging which can't be exported. I wonder how much would they charge for that...

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe I just noticed that while the Hanna website doesn't show the price, the Google ad does.
It seems to be priced at $395 for the kit with starter set of reagents.
So lets see pH, Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Phosphate that's 6 tests. If you really needed all of them in a reagent based test and paid $50 to buy the individual checkers that would be $300. That leaves an additional $95 for the logging. Not sure if it logs "50 measurements" or "200 readings" (the website seems to be contradicting).
I'd be interested to see if people would spend the extra $95 for the local (not exportable) logging and maybe for the fancier screen. I think it is going to be a hard sell considering there no improvement on the accuracy specially for someone that already owns one or more of the individual checkers.

Hanna.png

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe I just noticed that while the Hanna website doesn't show the price, the Google ad does.
It seems to be priced at $395 for the kit with starter set of reagents.
So lets see pH, Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Phosphate that's 6 tests. If you really needed all of them in a reagent based test and paid $50 to buy the individual checkers that would be $300. That leaves an additional $95 for the logging. Not sure if it logs "50 measurements" or "200 readings" (the website seems to be contradicting).
I'd be interested to see if people would spend the extra $95 for the local (not exportable) logging and maybe for the fancier screen. I think it is going to be a hard sell considering there no improvement on the accuracy specially for someone that already owns one or more of the individual checkers.

Hanna.png
It depends if new tests will be available with a firmware update it might be worth the money but to be honest if this won’t remove the need of messing with syringes I wait for a device does that for me.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the patent for it. It will test kh, ca, mg, ph, no3, and po4. (And ammonia and nitrite)
The thing on the Hanna website is not the marine master.
Super Sleuth, nice work!!!

This is fine for folks who are looking to upgrade their test kits, but I already have $200 invested in the individual Hanna's I need, I'm not doling out more money to have a one in all.

Last edited:

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't see magnesium listed on there either. Living in the UK, I would say that the price is probably significantly lower in the US, because that's the case with all of Hanna's other products. Most Hanna Checkers are $50 in the US, but £70 (~$100) in the UK.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is - does it require reagents? If not I’ll buy it. I’d it does - not a lot of reason to.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the link, yes it requires reagents. And all the tests have to be performed individually.
Well see, most reefers already have at least 2 or 3 Hanna's and it would be a stretch for folks to pay for what they already have.
If it were half that price, perhaps...

I'll just keep looking for a Magnesium kit .... hopefully soon.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well see, most reefers already have at least 2 or 3 Hanna's and it would be a stretch for folks to pay for what they already have.
If it were half that price, perhaps...

I'll just keep looking for a Magnesium kit .... hopefully soon.
I only have the Copper Checker, so for me it would come down to how expensive the reagent refills are. If it's the same price as for the current Checkers then I'll probably stick with test kits.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back