New Hanna Marine Master Available in BRS

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how it's being advertised as a "game changer" everywhere. It's just a regular Hanna checker, but one tester instead of multiple ones.
So, you still have to add reagents. You still have to do the individual powder packets. You still have to wait, and that's where this really goes bust. You're stuck waiting for a test to be completed before you can start another one.
I run a Trident, so I've got Calc, Mag and Alk already taken care of. When I need Nitrate, PO4 or to double check my Alk, I can crack out my individual Hanna's and run all 3 tests at the same time: Once one is in the countdown, I start up another test.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd rather spend more money and get the WaterLink SpinTouch. Add 3ml of water to a reagent disc, wait a few minutes and have everything tested at once. The Hanna isn't necessarily going to be more accurate anyway, since it can be heavily influenced by a myriad of human factors.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd rather spend more money and get the WaterLink SpinTouch. Add 3ml of water to a reagent disc, wait a few minutes and have everything tested at once. The Hanna isn't necessarily going to be more accurate anyway, since it can be heavily influenced by a myriad of human factors.
You need to be a retailer to get the spin tester (unless something has changed). And, if you're concerned about accuracy, those spin testers have horrible margins of error.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be a retailer to get the spin tester (unless something has changed). And, if you're concerned about accuracy, those spin testers have horrible margins of error.
How much do you think the human component is on the Hanna testers?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you think the human component is on the Hanna testers?
No idea. I'm not a scientist, nor have I seen a white paper on the matter. From personal experience, I can tell you that I've run back-to-back tests on a number of my Hanna checkers with the same result. Your mileage may vary.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
i have just seen that Hana HI97105 is out on the BRS website
the price of it 395$

what do you think about it? is it going to be best to pick for testing ?

I cannot see why anyone would get it, rather than just the checkers they want.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was excited at first because I thought it might do automatic water assessments! That would have been a game changer.

Replacing my existing Hana checkers with another manual Hana checker -- is an example of not being in touch with your customer's needs. This only addresses the needs of someone that does not already have Hana kits. Had they been automatic testers --- they would be flying off the shelf.

matmatoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The waterlink is INCREDIBLY inaccurate. We sent a unit back 2 months ago as the +/- 15% accuracy caused calcium to be 100-150ppm higher than it actually was. You might as well just guess your numbers and save you the cost of the super expensive disks imo!

Last edited:

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PO4 is only ULR. That wouldn't work for me so I'm out.
I have the ULR. When my PO4 was over 1.0, I just did a 10x dilution (1 ml sample, 9 ml RODI). Worked like a champ as I got mine under control.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you can only do 1 at a time is a deal breaker. 3 minutes for PO4 and 7 minutes for NO3. I do NO3 first and then PO4 while NO3 is testing. If it's faster I might think about it, but I have had to redo tests enough times as it is because I missed a timer. That has no longer an issue with the times now.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a money grab. A lot spent on a machine to test a bunch of different things (still one at a time, so not time saving) and if one is out of calibration or if it breaks... you are out a lot more than just buying separate testers of what you actually need.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to feel like Hanna didnt think this one through very well...

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This device doesn't do away with the testing steps/reagents etc. but it consolidates several of the tests into one unit. The positives besides the multiple tests in one unit are (1) the unit will store each reading by test and by tank thereby eliminating the need to keep a log. (2) the unit has an optional tutorial menu for each test so if you can't remember how to perform an individual test or lost your manual, the tester will walk you through the test step by step. And lastly the batteries are a lot easier to change than the current "eggs" i.e. no tiny screw to loose.

That said, if I was just starting out and was buying my initial Hanna Checkers, I would probably would buy this unit over the individual checkers but since I almost exclusively use Hanna eggs, I probably will keep what I have.

Last edited:

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At $300 it would be very very tempting as I only have a single hannah checker right now and use salifert for everything else.

At $400 Ill just stick with my saliferts and maybe ask santa for another checker.

The log function is nice, but otherwise there is not enough difference to make up for the massive price.

jacalhou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this any different then the regular checkers, other then you have 1 "machine" and not 5.

Already have all the hanna's I like to use, do not see how this is any different. It still uses reagents, you still have to do each test separately. The only advantage this has is again just 1 machine to read all the test, instead of 5 different "eggs".

At $50 an "egg" this is substantially more money for no real advantage in my eyes($250 for all 5 "eggs", or $400 for an AIO)
You have some valid points about if you already have them, it wouldn’t make as much sense, especially if it breaks. However, there are a few differences with the all in one Marine Master. It can log up to 10 different aquariums and stores up to 200 tests in a log. If you put them in an Apex or the like, it won’t matter that much, but it’s nice to have. If you get sidetracked while waiting for the timers and it turns off before you come back, it’s automatically stored, so you don’t have to retest.

it’s also got a sealed testing vial, so it always sits in the right way, doesn’t allow in any light, dust, etc. it also uses the same reagents as the eggs. Another neat thing from the video is it has step by step instructions on the screen, so you don’t have to pull out the paperwork for the ones you don’t memorize. Supposedly, it also lets you calibrate them to a standard, unlike what I’ve found with the eggs. If they’re off, you can change the calibration from what I’ve seen. It’s also IP67 waterproof, in case someone wants to dump it in the aquarium lol.

However, it wouldn’t make as much sense for those that have all of the checkers anyway, unless they want to pay a premium for those extra features.

Freakmachine01

Guess who I'v seen today... Everyone I looked at.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree if somebody doesn't already have Hannah checkers this might seem like a good investment but if you already have the eggs you could do all of your tests in less time than this machine will do it.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure this is a newbie question but why don't I see more testers (all-in-one or individual) that use probes instead of requiring reagents?

Just not possible for most parameters?

jacalhou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a money grab. A lot spent on a machine to test a bunch of different things (still one at a time, so not time saving) and if one is out of calibration or if it breaks... you are out a lot more than just buying separate testers of what you actually need.
You’re right with the exception of the calibration, I believe. From what I watched on the BRS video and the Saltwater Aquarium.com video, there is a way to calibrate to a standard solution that’s supposedly included.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back