New Harlequin Tusk Blind?

SCH14

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2023
Messages
332
Reaction score
79
Location
Saint Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey everyone, I just opened a saltwater store and this is our second order of fish. We have a 220g tank with a harlequin tusk we got in yesterday.

Last night all night and all morning he laid in the sand under a rock and did not move once. I noticed he kind of bumps into things like the glass, wave maker, algae clip etc. he also swims right to the surface and then back to the sand but never runs into the sand.

Within the last hour or two he has been swimming for the first time since we got him.

Would love some input on this on what you guys think. I feel like he is blind but not completely sure. I have put clams on the half shell but hasn’t gone near them yet.

I uploaded to Google drive since it is a 1min video.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Y1y2YcnR9IvoMXGky6byxh2UR44C0hxo
 
Hey everyone, I just opened a saltwater store and this is our second order of fish. We have a 220g tank with a harlequin tusk we got in yesterday.

Last night all night and all morning he laid in the sand under a rock and did not move once. I noticed he kind of bumps into things like the glass, wave maker, algae clip etc. he also swims right to the surface and then back to the sand but never runs into the sand.

Within the last hour or two he has been swimming for the first time since we got him.

Would love some input on this on what you guys think. I feel like he is blind but not completely sure. I have put clams on the half shell but hasn’t gone near them yet.

I uploaded to Google drive since it is a 1min video.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Y1y2YcnR9IvoMXGky6byxh2UR44C0hxo
Beautiful fish. Mine sort of does this and I would add pieces of scallop (mine's favorite) to see if it responds to going after it.
For the eyes, unless it struggled with shipping/temperature and oxygen which may affect its motor functions, Look at retina to see if there is a white dot in the center which may restrict its ability to see. Clam is a good choice but its spending time on upper tank as many spend time on the bottom
 
Beautiful fish. Mine sort of does this and I would add pieces of scallop (mine's favorite) to see if it responds to going after it.
For the eyes, unless it struggled with shipping/temperature and oxygen which may affect its motor functions, Look at retina to see if there is a white dot in the center which may restrict its ability to see. Clam is a good choice but its spending time on upper tank as many spend time on the bottom
Thanks for the reply. I dont see a white dot. However I just saw him hit his nose on a rock overhang, I really just can’t tell. I’m leaning towards yes blind, I’ll try some scallops and see what happens.
 
I had a blind clown for a little. Unfortunately she passed. But she would swim on the bottom or along the top/touching the glass. Best way to test is to slowly put your hand in front of the fish to see if there is a reaction. My blind fish couldnt see my hand until she felt the waves it made. I would try that to see!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new