new here and could use some advice!

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I'm new to the forum, I'm desperate for help. I've done everything I can possibly think of and still battling these awful algae blooms.
I have a 75 gal. Reef tank with mostly softies left.. I had transferred my quite successful 38 nano into this and thought (for a minute) that I had done so with no casualties.
I ran the 38 for 3 years before upgrading in may 2018 to the 75.
I have 200 reef octopus HOB skimmer, two marineland HOB filters running c size cartridges.
I have an aquatic life t5 fixture running 3 true blues and 1 true actinic.
X2 koralia 425gph and 2x koralia 850gph
My lighting schedule is all four bulbs for 8 hours, then just 2 of the true blue for the last hour before the night LEDs switch on.
I keep a very detailed journal of water changes and water parameters and only just recently went all out on testing obsessively. Before that I was sporadic at best and I am suffering the consequences of my negligence obviously.
Over the past few weeks my tank parameters have been outstanding and consistent, no outside lighting besides my beardies tank about 4 feet away as it's in the basement.
I have an RODI system in my basement that I use for my 10 to 15 percent wc's and I use red sea coral pro salt.
Any advice, encouragement etc would be helpful as I am in love with the hobby of but am tired of fighting the same battles and losing livestock

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry about your troubles. When were your rodi filters changed out? How much and how often are you feeding? Can you post your exact paraneters? Dont worry, there are thousands upon thousands of outstanding users here that will get you helped out :)
ezgif-6-e3f059e4827c.gif
#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry about your troubles. When were your rodi filters changed out? How much and how often are you feeding? Can you post your exact paraneters? Dont worry, there are thousands upon thousands of outstanding users here that will get you helped out :)
ezgif-6-e3f059e4827c.gif
#WelcometoR2R
Hey thanks!
My parameters are salinity .25, alkalinity is 8.6 calcium 420 and I changed my ro cartridges as well as my di filter maybe a month ago, probably about 7 to 8 months use on the old ones, I feed my 2 clowns 1 blue fairy wrasse 1 green clown goby 1 blue damsel and 1 pearl jawfish enough frz brine shrimp to keep them eating for about 30 to 45 seconds 1 time daily
Hey all I'm new to the forum, I'm desperate for help. I've done everything I can possibly think of and still battling these awful algae blooms.
I have a 75 gal. Reef tank with mostly softies left.. I had transferred my quite successful 38 nano into this and thought (for a minute) that I had done so with no casualties.
I ran the 38 for 3 years before upgrading in may 2018 to the 75.
I have 200 reef octopus HOB skimmer, two marineland HOB filters running c size cartridges.
I have an aquatic life t5 fixture running 3 true blues and 1 true actinic.
X2 koralia 425gph and 2x koralia 850gph
My lighting schedule is all four bulbs for 8 hours, then just 2 of the true blue for the last hour before the night LEDs switch on.
I keep a very detailed journal of water changes and water parameters and only just recently went all out on testing obsessively. Before that I was sporadic at best and I am suffering the consequences of my negligence obviously.
Over the past few weeks my tank parameters have been outstanding and consistent, no outside lighting besides my beardies tank about 4 feet away as it's in the basement.
I have an RODI system in my basement that I use for my 10 to 15 percent wc's and I use red sea coral pro salt.
Any advice, encouragement etc would be helpful as I am in love with the hobby of but am tired of fighting the same battles and losing livestock

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Algae blooms suck. Have you determined what type of algae it is?
Its cyano and some other nasty crap that looks like GHA (which I was dealing with heavily before switching my lightbulbs) and i did a lot of rock dipping in peroxide. I have about 20 hermits and 10 asst. Snails

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use strips for the n02 n03 and ammonia I use the api p04 test kit, salifert for magnesium and alkalinity and api for calcium

Get yourself some good quality N03 and P04 test kits.

It's common with tanks that have little nutrients, that have pest algae issues.

Get those and let's go from there. Report back when you have the numbers.

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself some good quality N03 and P04 test kits.

It's common with tanks that have little nutrients, that have pest algae issues.

Get those and let's go from there. Report back when you have the numbers.

Roger that! Do you recommend a certain brand over for those? I do like the salifert brand

Back