New here and returning to the hobby

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am 36 years old and live in the Denver area, been here for 2 years now. I just bought a condo and moved in a couple weeks ago. I had been looking at getting a tank again and decided on the super popular 40 breeder with 20 gallon sump.

I had a 70 gallon reef way back in high school, 2000-2002. The hobby was way different back then, as expensive or more than it is now too. My tank was a pretty basic setup with no sump and all hang-on gear. I did have a pair of 150w HQI double ended metal halides which was pretty awesome for back then though.

I went off to the Army after high school, did 4 years as a combat tanker (hence the name Reef Tanker). Then came back and got a degree, had that same 70 gallon tank as an African cichlid tank in college. I also tried a 12 gallon JBJ nano cube reef. The 12 gallon was a piece of junk so I gave up on that. So I've been out of saltwater since 2008 and totally fish-less since 2010.

So far I am working on the 40 now. I have the overflow and return holes drilled, the Eshopps M overflow, and hopefully all the plumbing. I also have the Fiji Cube sump kit that I need to install. My next project is to paint the back and bottom of the tank and then install the sump kit. Or should I buy the skimmer and return pump first?

Anyway, thanks for having me. I've been a member of Reef Central since I was 16 but it has really died down over there. This forum seems a lot more active now.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

njreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am 36 years old and live in the Denver area, been here for 2 years now. I just bought a condo and moved in a couple weeks ago. I had been looking at getting a tank again and decided on the super popular 40 breeder with 20 gallon sump.

I had a 70 gallon reef way back in high school, 2000-2002. The hobby was way different back then, as expensive or more than it is now too. My tank was a pretty basic setup with no sump and all hang-on gear. I did have a pair of 150w HQI double ended metal halides which was pretty awesome for back then though.

I went off to the Army after high school, did 4 years as a combat tanker (hence the name Reef Tanker). Then came back and got a degree, had that same 70 gallon tank as an African cichlid tank in college. I also tried a 12 gallon JBJ nano cube reef. The 12 gallon was a piece of junk so I gave up on that. So I've been out of saltwater since 2008 and totally fish-less since 2010.

So far I am working on the 40 now. I have the overflow and return holes drilled, the Eshopps M overflow, and hopefully all the plumbing. I also have the Fiji Cube sump kit that I need to install. My next project is to paint the back and bottom of the tank and then install the sump kit. Or should I buy the skimmer and return pump first?

Anyway, thanks for having me. I've been a member of Reef Central since I was 16 but it has really died down over there. This forum seems a lot more active now.
Welcome back

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Witty name haha! If I am understanding you correctly, go ahead and buy the return (skimmer can wait if you arnt cycled yet). Pump is easy to just pop on and off so I doubt it matters when you buy as long as you do it before you start cycling obviously lol

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey reef tanker,
Welcome back let us know what you need,
and please chime in with your expertise.
Using the eshoppes s on a 20 g acrylic, slave to my main dt.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back