New here, but no reefing....yet?

fishfriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have 4 tanks, 2fw and 2sw. I actually have fowlr tanks, but definitely interested in reefing, but like beginner reefing. I keep a spearing mantis stomatopod (R.komaii) in a tank by himself, and then a smasher stomatopod a N.Curacaoensis, he shares a tank with dominoes and plenty of cleanup crew.
I guess the things I want to learn about, are easy corals for beginners, 15g fluval and a 32g biocube. From what I understand Damsels form symbiotic relationship with anemones or urchins. But any great info is much appreciated.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to the team

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome

Sounds like you have a solid background to move into reefing. I am not too familiar with urchins or nems with damsels like you mention, but @ca1ore may.

1596338078136.gif

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for Xenia and green star polyps first, those things are tough. Unfortunately when I had damsels they didn’t do anything but beat up my shy fish. A clownfish is always a good bet for a small tank but they can be a little mean too, mostly just don’t overload the tank with fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
pic's ...we all love pic's :)

OP
OP
fishfriends

fishfriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for Xenia and green star polyps first, those things are tough. Unfortunately when I had damsels they didn’t do anything but beat up my shy fish. A clownfish is always a good bet for a small tank but they can be a little mean too, mostly just don’t overload the tank with fish

Thank you! I don't plan on having anymore fish in the 32g, and I don't want any fish in with the spearing mantis (for obvious reasons). I will definitely look into those suggestions. My dominoes are jerks but my peacock mantis (r.i.p) I had in my pvp kept them in line. My N.Curacaoensis is just a baby, so I'm hoping beyond hope he'll stay out of their way til he gets bigger.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have 4 tanks, 2fw and 2sw. I actually have fowlr tanks, but definitely interested in reefing, but like beginner reefing. I keep a spearing mantis stomatopod (R.komaii) in a tank by himself, and then a smasher stomatopod a N.Curacaoensis, he shares a tank with dominoes and plenty of cleanup crew.
I guess the things I want to learn about, are easy corals for beginners, 15g fluval and a 32g biocube. From what I understand Damsels form symbiotic relationship with anemones or urchins. But any great info is much appreciated.
Welcome,sounds like you can share lots.
To oversimplify, easy corals = soft corals. Are a little more forgiving, water wise.
Soft corals can be weeds, but are confidence builders and make very beautiful gardens. Great starting point.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Clownfish form symbiotic relationships with anemones. Certain Gobies and Pistol Shrimp form symbiotic relationships as well! Easy corals for beginners would be some softies like pulsing xenia, GSP, toadstools, frogspawn etc. Keep asking questions!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back