New here. Help needed ASAP!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A good choice, although until the tank and disease issues are rectified adding fish is not a good idea...
I have three tanks with one in each. Adding fish is not impacted as would be adding coral. This one is beneficial for removal of aptasia and quickly

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Obviously he needs to address that issue first which is priority over aptasia

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. If you are going to start fresh I would take the extra time and effort to eradicate and clean all pests/diseases in the tank, otherwise you will end up back where you are now I would think..

and

DB2CA52D-903A-4646-99B8-6FA539403028.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
AYquincy

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually dose together with my mixed salt water. but i put in around 10ml mixed solution at a time.
sorry i didn't make myself clear. I only mix in the water part. I leave the solid part out of the mixture. worked for me so far, but i know others who do it differently. I only go by the kh and ph in the system, and did not use any online calculator.

OP
OP
AYquincy

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! There is a great reefing community in Hong Kong that will be able to let you know what medicines and treatments are available there as well as what to do with fish that do not work in your tank any more.

@ScottR may be able to provide additional thoughts about reefing in Hong Kong.
yes i understand there's a local clubs section. if there's a fb group or something please send me an invite @ScottR

OP
OP
AYquincy

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be i a bit of a pickle. This is going to be a long post...

Let’s start with the fish.. all fish need to be removed from coral tank, and this must remain empty for 80 day (72 min). I don’t know how your “fish only” tank is set up, but depending on this, you may be able to add fish from coral tank to this and medicate that tank..if not you will have to remove all fish from both tanks into a separate tank, but this will need mature bio filter (which you could get from either tank, sponge floss etc) -I need more details of your setups...

Fish should be treated with a h202 dip on the way to the QT tank if you can. As this will alleviate immediate issues temporarily..

I would then use copper and api general cure together and that will sort fish problems.

As for coral tank, you have high nutrients else algae wouldn’t be growing...by removing the fish to a qt this will help reduce nutrients in the coral tank for the time being...I would use this time to do some watercahnges. (Don’t go crazy, just 20% a week to get the tank back on track-make sure to parameter correct the waterchange wateralso) this will reduce nutrients further, but you must still feed a small amounnt To the tank during the fallow period.. as for KH swings are you using a doser or calcium reactor to maintain all and calcium levels, (also what is your mag reading)

Aiptasia products only end up multiplying them...I had great success with a copperband and but I DO NOT suggest adding one with everything else going on

I’ll leave it here for now, and await further details / questions from you
Thanks for detailed reply. I have not heard of H2O2 dip on the fish. I will do some research on it. Just noticed that a new fish that I got has ich like symptoms. (blue face) going to give him some Cupramine. (by the way, can someone tell me the speices it is?) Let me show you the tangs which are in much worse condition. (please see the pictures below).

As for coral yes they definitely have high nutrients! Actually I like to spoon feed them once a week with some squid. They also like fish pellets. Besides... I have fish in the tank so I must feed them sometimes. I'm using a Deltec calcium reactor (set to the lowest setting) and also dripping A,B,C supplements hourly (includes buffer and also kasswasser). My numbers are generally good. 420-430 for calcium, 1290 for magnesium. NO2 is 0.1 but NO3 is 2 (or lower). These are done using Salifet test kits. KH is about 10.2 - 10.9 in the morning. Salinity 1.024. Phosphate was 0.01 6 weeks ago. I will test it again tomorrow.

Killing the Aiptasia one by one is just not an option. There are so many behind rocks etc they are impossible to get to. I'm going to remove the rocks and hopefully that will help, but there are so many things going on I must prioritize what needs to be done first.

IMG_20201020_200756.jpg

IMG_20201020_200821.jpg

OP
OP
AYquincy

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is the start of another question. Since I nuked all the ceramic rings fresh water and prazipro and other nasty stuff like Waterlife Myazin. Since I'm looking for a fresh restart, I'm going to add hot boiling water to them, in case there are any bad bacterias.

But you know. maybe the source of water may also be a problem. like buckets which I use to mix salt, fish nets, etc. Because I have similar fluke and ich like condition in ALL my tanks. btw I am also keeping sharks, like the one in my avatar.. but they are not affected by fluke and ich right. Sometimes I put my bigger fish in the shark tank before they become shark food. And of course they died from parasites once I move them to my DT or QT. Or am I thinking too much?

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right ...if I’m understanding correctly from your posts....

You need to remove all fish and h202 dip (humble.fish) website details fully..
It looks to me like velvet, if it is that then time is a massive factor, like you need to do this today..
Then copper for 2 weeks. API general cure will help too and can be dosed either after or at the same time..
Another option is chloroquine phosphate if you have that in HK?

I’m assuming The shark is in another tank?! as you can’t copper a shark...

Strip out your corals and clea the display whilst this is happening... corals go be situated in a tank or tub

The displays must remain fish less for 72 days

Last edited:

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must not cross contaminate nets etc...anything you put in tank, must be used for that tank alone.
Same goes for your hands, you need to wash before going to another tank....

If I may be as rude as to say it seems to me you have taken on too many tanks at once and I would consider reducing them to a number you can fully commit too and give the full attention it requires

OP
OP
AYquincy

AYquincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right ...if I’m understanding correctly from your posts....

You need to remove all fish and h202 dip (humble.fish) website details fully..
It looks to me like velvet, if it is that then time is a massive factor, like you need to do this today..
Then copper for 2 weeks. API general cure will help too and can be dosed either after or at the same time..

I’m assuming The shark is in another tank?! as you can’t copper a shark...

Strip out your corals and clea the display whilst this is happening... corals go be situated in a tank or tub

The displays must remain fish less for 72 days

Which fish did you think has velvet? the blue face or the tang? I suspect that some of the ones which died had velvet. The tang is already under copper treatment for 1 week. The blue face should start tomorrow.

Sharks are in shark tank. Totally different setup from others. But the rings are being used in Q tank now. so that's why I also suspect cross contamination.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back