New here!

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m Lauren! I’ve had a few saltwater aquariums but never got too big into it as far as mechanics and so on until now. I have the Fluval Evo 13.5 and I did a fish less cycle with Dr Tim’s ammonia and bacteria. My ammonia went up to 4ppm and never came down. When I added the bacteria I didn’t take out my sponge filter. Dumb move I guess. The back said to take out a filter sock, which I don’t have which is why I didn’t take it out. After days of it not doing anything I went to my lfs and bought Fritz 9 and took out my filter sponge for 2 days. Finally my nitrites went up but ammonia never went down. I did a water change and my ammonia went down to 1ppm and the tank cycled itself from there. My ammonia and nitrites were and are 0.

Now my tank has a diatom bloom. A few other lfs’s I called said because my ammonia and nitrite were 0 my tank is technically cycled. When I asked on a Facebook group about the diatom bloom which I thought was something every new tank goes through at the end of a cycle. Anyways everyone is telling me my tank is screwed and it’s going to fail. I do have a head of frogspawn, some zoanthids, gsp, and a toadstool in there. No fish. Started the tank with live sand and dry rock. Everything looks fantastic except the diatoms.

One more thing, sorry this is such a long post! So I had two pieces of dry rock that I got from BRS. I went to my lfs and purchased a piece of dark red live rock. They said it was man made, already cured and pest free. It was in a tank of saltwater with other live rock you can pick from. Before I got my gsp I had a different coral, like a trumpet coral or something like that. I purchased it from Indy with a dead head on it. Eventually in my tank it all started to turn brown and I took it to the lfs where they gave me the gsp as a trade and said my calcium was through the roof according to their api test. They actually called off the test at 50 drops, but I came home from Chicago with a saliferts test kit just days after they tested it and my calcium was 355. They had me take the rock out and put a caribsea rock in and the diatom bloom started. I added a CUC so I have 4 snails and 4 hermit crabs.

image.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank!

My understanding is the diatoms are normal. You've not destroyed your tank.
IMHO, you're moving a little fast though. You might consider not adding anything else for a solid month or so.

If your cycle is done, the system may actually benefit from a small fish or two.
Stocking the tank is one of the most fun parts. Make it last :)

spockwelcome.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep moving forward with patience - this is all part of the normal settling in phase. Good luck!

...oh, and welcome to R2R! :)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :) :) !! The diatoms are normal in a new tank....nothing to worry about. Also, for what it is worth, I would trust the Salifert tests over the API tests. I am actually kind of surprised your LFS uses API.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to this addictive forum ! Your in early ugly stages . Par for the course . Leaving the sponge In wasn’t an issue with Dr Tim’s z. That would actually be colonized by bacteria .
Have fun with your new tank and biggest thing I’ve learned when I started was to go slow..

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

I did the same thing with my first tank, pretty much. I wasn't sure how long a cycle would take to be established. At least to the nitrate phase.

The bottled additives help, but the tank will still do it's thing over time. The diatoms is an indication of that and that your going in the right direction. People here refer it as "The Ulgy Stage". Lol.

The hardest part of this hobby, for me at least, is waiting in the beginning. I have Zero patience. My wife supports my reefing because there is really no way around it. To get a well established tank, it's going to take time.

All the Best to You, and please, please start a thread of your tank in the "Members Tanks" forum. A lot of us love going through the experience of watching a tank come to life.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I’m Lauren! I’ve had a few saltwater aquariums but never got too big into it as far as mechanics and so on until now. I have the Fluval Evo 13.5 and I did a fish less cycle with Dr Tim’s ammonia and bacteria. My ammonia went up to 4ppm and never came down. When I added the bacteria I didn’t take out my sponge filter. Dumb move I guess. The back said to take out a filter sock, which I don’t have which is why I didn’t take it out. After days of it not doing anything I went to my lfs and bought Fritz 9 and took out my filter sponge for 2 days. Finally my nitrites went up but ammonia never went down. I did a water change and my ammonia went down to 1ppm and the tank cycled itself from there. My ammonia and nitrites were and are 0.

Now my tank has a diatom bloom. A few other lfs’s I called said because my ammonia and nitrite were 0 my tank is technically cycled. When I asked on a Facebook group about the diatom bloom which I thought was something every new tank goes through at the end of a cycle. Anyways everyone is telling me my tank is screwed and it’s going to fail. I do have a head of frogspawn, some zoanthids, gsp, and a toadstool in there. No fish. Started the tank with live sand and dry rock. Everything looks fantastic except the diatoms.

One more thing, sorry this is such a long post! So I had two pieces of dry rock that I got from BRS. I went to my lfs and purchased a piece of dark red live rock. They said it was man made, already cured and pest free. It was in a tank of saltwater with other live rock you can pick from. Before I got my gsp I had a different coral, like a trumpet coral or something like that. I purchased it from Indy with a dead head on it. Eventually in my tank it all started to turn brown and I took it to the lfs where they gave me the gsp as a trade and said my calcium was through the roof according to their api test. They actually called off the test at 50 drops, but I came home from Chicago with a saliferts test kit just days after they tested it and my calcium was 355. They had me take the rock out and put a caribsea rock in and the diatom bloom started. I added a CUC so I have 4 snails and 4 hermit crabs.

image.jpg
Welcome - all of those things can happen when you start a new tank. It actually looks quite nice. It will get better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back