New Hippo Tang QT

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your fish is doing better now. I will be using this as a reference when my Hippo arrives this week.

In response to running carbon, don't. Reading about Hippos in preparation, it seems like running carbon is often associated with Lateral Line Disease, along with poor water quality.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200712-152137_Gallery.jpg
the tang is doing well. Eating. Swimming. Etc.

But, today I've noticed two white things on her left side - one near dorsal fin and one near tail. They seem to extend off the body, tho very short. To me, it doesn't look like ich. Any ideas? Flukes? Lympho? I haven't treated with anything yet at all. Just observed. She's been a perfect fish so far once she got settled in.

I'm considering doing a round of General Cure. Hospital cabinet includes:
API General Cure
Furan 2
Cupramine
Coppersafe
Reef Rally Pro
Metroplex
Prazipro
Focus
Kanaplex

What should I do?
Screenshot_20200712-152056_Gallery.jpg
20200712_150044.jpg
20200712_145517.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent photos! You can clearly see the white growth extending away from the body. It's probably lympho. It can present as a bulbous cauliflower like growth, a fibrous growth as well.
Feeding the fish food mixed with Beta Glucan can help with this condition. The fish's immune system is responding to stress probably from the new tank. Here's a thread that may help. I mix 6-8 frozen cubes of the appropriate fish food for the particular fish's dietary needs. "Slump" the cubes, mix well, strain off excess liquid as it will spike your nitrates and phosphates. Add a 1/2 capsule of Beta Glucan + Focus + a bit of water to get the consistency you like to work with.

Can also use fish "Masstick" and mix with BG and some shredded nori. Smear the mix on a rock, tank wall for the fish to feed.

IMG_2165.jpg

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent photos! You can clearly see the white growth extending away from the body. It's probably lympho. It can present as a bulbous cauliflower like growth, a fibrous growth as well.
Feeding the fish food mixed with Beta Glucan can help with this condition. The fish's immune system is responding to stress probably from the new tank. Here's a thread that may help. I mix 6-8 frozen cubes of the appropriate fish food for the particular fish's dietary needs. "Slump" the cubes, mix well, strain off excess liquid as it will spike your nitrates and phosphates. Add a 1/2 capsule of Beta Glucan + Focus + a bit of water to get the consistency you like to work with.

Can also use fish "Masstick" and mix with BG and some shredded nori. Smear the mix on a rock, tank wall for the fish to feed.

IMG_2165.jpg
Thanks so much!! I dont have any BG, ill have to order some.

I've Been feeding Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets, NLS Marine Formula pellets, Omega One Green Seaweed sheets. Also Selecon soaked Frozen PE Mysis and San-Fran Bay Spirulina Brine. She eats it all!! Literally. None of it even makes it to the bottom. Maybe feed more? I tend to randomly select one of the above and feed 2x per day - something dif each time.

So, you think this is Lymphos? Just need more vitamins and goodness to help heal?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much!! I dont have any BG, ill have to order some.

I've Been feeding Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets, NLS Marine Formula pellets, Omega One Green Seaweed sheets. Also Selecon soaked Frozen PE Mysis and San-Fran Bay Spirulina Brine. She eats it all!! Literally. None of it even makes it to the bottom. Maybe feed more? I tend to randomly select one of the above and feed 2x per day - something dif each time.

So, you think this is Lymphos? Just need more vitamins and goodness to help heal?
Lympho is very common. Especially when fish are stressed. Can help with stress if you cover the back wall and end walls with dark colored paper (I paint mine dark blue). Add a few plastic floating aquarium plants. And when newly introduced, leaving the lights off for a few days and only having ambient room light. Can also add some sand to the bottom. Just enough to cover the glass. It's amazing how much fish will relax and do better.

The other possible that presents similarly is a gram positive bacterial infection that seems to pop up near the end or after treating with copper. But it doesn't respond well to anitbiotics. Better to feed the fish foods augmented with vitamins to help the fish's immune system. Antibiotics don't really cure anything. They just help the fish's immune system by stalling off the infection long enough for the immune system to adapt and heal the fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back