0   0   0
Got new tank today lots room for my buddies. About week before all set up

A438294B-A7B4-4467-BB3A-83993D854750.jpeg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Be sure to take your time in setting up and getting it properly cycled. Once you feel it is cycled, challenge the tank by adding ammonia to at least 2ppm, but probably a bit more as you will start out with a lot of seahorses to place in it at first. If the ammonia clears overnight then you most likely would be ready to go. If it doesn't, cycle is not completed sufficiently yet.
I'm personally NOT in favour of using canister filtration. I've never found one that is built to easily and quickly clean out, and as seahorses are SO prone to bacterial diseases, I feel they have to be cleaned AT LEAST once a week or the decaying detritus trapped in it becomes food and bedding for the nasties.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Be sure to take your time in setting up and getting it properly cycled. Once you feel it is cycled, challenge the tank by adding ammonia to at least 2ppm, but probably a bit more as you will start out with a lot of seahorses to place in it at first. If the ammonia clears overnight then you most likely would be ready to go. If it doesn't, cycle is not completed sufficiently yet.
I'm personally NOT in favour of using canister filtration. I've never found one that is built to easily and quickly clean out, and as seahorses are SO prone to bacterial diseases, I feel they have to be cleaned AT LEAST once a week or the decaying detritus trapped in it becomes food and bedding for the nasties.
What type or name of filter system do you recommend. You have been doing this longer than me. Tank is 125gal

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something best left to others to recommend as my decades of salt water hobby have been strictly using live rock as my biological filter, and quick filters on power heads for solid waste removal as they are VERY easily cleaned. My live rock is in the sumps of my seahorse tanks to make cleaning of the display easier and while I have some macro in my displays that is on rock, it is minimal as I use mostly easily cleaned artificial hitching.
An extremely oversized protein skimmer is probably the best possible addition you can make as it removes the dissolved organics that degrade the water quality.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank!

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something best left to others to recommend as my decades of salt water hobby have been strictly using live rock as my biological filter, and quick filters on power heads for solid waste removal as they are VERY easily cleaned. My live rock is in the sumps of my seahorse tanks to make cleaning of the display easier and while I have some macro in my displays that is on rock, it is minimal as I use mostly easily cleaned artificial hitching.
An extremely oversized protein skimmer is probably the best possible addition you can make as it removes the dissolved organics that degrade the water quality.
Thank you Ray Jay you’re like an encyclopedia of Seahorse information which I do want you to know I take all of your advice seriously and truly think about it because I want my horses to be as happy as they possibly can be one of the reasons why I agreed to take on this huge tank which I know you still think it’s too small

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back