New house new build!

Michael pugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes nothing!

I've been in the hobby only 5 years and had the dream of setting up a fish room dedicated to this hobby. Well my time is now. I recently purchased my first home. To my surprise my wife gave me the go ahead to build the room of my dreams. I'll be documenting everything I can along this journey of building a room from ground up. Everything from electrical, ventilation, plumbing, and construction of the stands and tank setup.

First things first, stands.

I picked up a deep sea frag tank that came with a stand for a good price. The stand was half way done in my opinion and needed some extra support on the sides and an actual paint job.
I broke out the saw and cut out 2x4s to add to the legs and got some kilz primer to waterproof the wood.
Also while I was at it I figured I'd build an additional short stand to put a water mixing station on so worst case I can get a 5 gallon bucket under it.
I painted everything with an oil based black gloss paint to add to the appeal.

I then proceeded to plum the rodi unit.
I wanted to make sure I have as much redundancy to the mixing station that I'd have every possible chance to stop the water if in the event a leak or flood.

I added 2 optical sensors into the mix. One to say "hey turn on" and one to say "yo stop!" Also added a float valve. There is more to come but haven't gotten that far yet.

Stay tuned!
20190622_170737.jpeg
20190625_182152.jpeg
20190625_182236.jpeg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your new home. Following>>>

OP
OP
Michael pugh

Michael pugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got the water flowing today! Happy 4th of July right!?

I added a 2 way split valve on my hot water and a 4 way split on my cold water lines today. The reason for the 2 is to eventually get an utility sink installed in the laundry room right next to my fish room and the 4 way was also for the sink but also to supply the rodi unit. I couldn't find a 3 way I liked and didnt want to add a 2 way on a single output of an additional 2 way.

I noticed my di bed in the 1st chamber is changing colors fast. Is this normal? I have a 2nd di bed added to help but I haven't seen a change in color there.
Hopefully one of you gurus can explain to me what's up ha!

I hope you all have a happy 4th and care with the fireworks.

OP
OP
Michael pugh

Michael pugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got the water flowing today! Happy 4th of July right!?

I added a 2 way split valve on my hot water and a 4 way split on my cold water lines today. The reason for the 2 is to eventually get an utility sink installed in the laundry room right next to my fish room and the 4 way was also for the sink but also to supply the rodi unit. I couldn't find a 3 way I liked and didnt want to add a 2 way on a single output of an additional 2 way.

I noticed my di bed in the 1st chamber is changing colors fast. Is this normal? I have a 2nd di bed added to help but I haven't seen a change in color there.
Hopefully one of you gurus can explain to me what's up ha!

I hope you all have a happy 4th and care with the fireworks.
20190704_143656.jpeg
20190704_143732.jpeg
20190704_143746.jpeg
20190704_144739.jpeg
20190704_144754.jpeg

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes nothing!

I've been in the hobby only 5 years and had the dream of setting up a fish room dedicated to this hobby. Well my time is now. I recently purchased my first home. To my surprise my wife gave me the go ahead to build the room of my dreams. I'll be documenting everything I can along this journey of building a room from ground up. Everything from electrical, ventilation, plumbing, and construction of the stands and tank setup.

First things first, stands.

I picked up a deep sea frag tank that came with a stand for a good price. The stand was half way done in my opinion and needed some extra support on the sides and an actual paint job.
I broke out the saw and cut out 2x4s to add to the legs and got some kilz primer to waterproof the wood.
Also while I was at it I figured I'd build an additional short stand to put a water mixing station on so worst case I can get a 5 gallon bucket under it.
I painted everything with an oil based black gloss paint to add to the appeal.

I then proceeded to plum the rodi unit.
I wanted to make sure I have as much redundancy to the mixing station that I'd have every possible chance to stop the water if in the event a leak or flood.

I added 2 optical sensors into the mix. One to say "hey turn on" and one to say "yo stop!" Also added a float valve. There is more to come but haven't gotten that far yet.

Stay tuned!
20190622_170737.jpeg
20190625_182152.jpeg
20190625_182236.jpeg
Good luck on the build! I to just bought a new home and am starting my dream/ final build. Just ordered my 300g tank and plan to start setting up the fish room when the tank is in place. Going to be fun!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 190 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back