NEW IceCap AIO Protein Skimmers

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let everyone know that the production versions of the IceCap prototype skimmers I’ve been using for the last 7 months will be released in the coming weeks. You should be able to get them at Saltwatwr Aquarium, Premium Aquatics, and Champion Lighting.

The IceCap AIO 120 fits perfectly in the rear chamber of the smaller IM tanks like my 25 lagoon and other smaller aio aquariums. The 110 is rated for 10-30 gallons and it’s powered by a controllable 5 watt DC pump. It’s footprint is 3.375in x 2.5in, perfectly sized for many of the AIO aquariums on the market.

The larger model, the IceCap AIO 240 fits in the rear chambers of the Nuvo 40 and similar sized AIO aquariums. The 240 is rated for 20-65 gallon aquariums. It’s
footprint is 2.75in x 3.625in and powered by a controllable 6 watt DC pump.

Feel free to ask any questions. I know how hard it is to find quality skimmers for our AIO tanks that function and fit well. After using the prototypes for the last 7 months, I think AIO hobbyists will be satisfied.

(I do not work for CoralVue or IceCap. Just a fellow hobbyist that was afforded the opportunity to test some gear.)

64326C08-2F6D-4839-AD21-4B1D757918CE.jpeg
B70C8B7C-357C-4732-A20D-68515D84B1EE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look infinitely more useful than the IM ones!

They are amazing. I’ve been using the prototypes for roughly 7 months. They skim well and are easy to clean. If I didn’t have the prototypes I would probably purchase these. I still might as there are a couple design changes I suggested that I want that are on the retail version.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I know what I'm replacing my IM one from my drop off with! I've loved ice cap on my bigger systems and I'm stoked to have one that'll fit in my drop off :D

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh, I don't know, I tried the K1 nano multiple times and they were terrible..this one looks like it utilizes the same style of pump too. At least it's DC this time, but still, hard pass.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I know what I'm replacing my IM one from my drop off with! I've loved ice cap on my bigger systems and I'm stoked to have one that'll fit in my drop off :D

They are great. The 240 is running on my 40 Fusion. It’s great and I have it hooked up to my medium IceCap CO2 scrubber. I’ve used the IceCap K1 nano. I liked it but it was somewhat difficult to adjust and the mounting style wasn’t friendly to aio aquariums. I’ve used the Tunze 9001 DC but it also never fit well although the controllable pump made it worthwhile. I was recently using the Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB. It’s a beast and works amazing well, but when the output slows down it’s a chore to remove and clean. On my 25 lagoon I was using the Bullet 1 from Aquamaxx, it was good, but again, cleaning was a chore and priming it was a headache.

I’ve had these two skimmers going for 7 months and they are great. I’m actually thinking about buying the production versions as I want the changes that were made since these prototypes. I think people will be very happy with them. :)

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have is does the pump need to be primed every time it is turned off? For example, during nightly dosing/feeding via Apex, my current Aquamaxx HOB 2 is turned off for an hour on the IM Nuvo 20 system, but after an hour via Apex it is turned back on. However, there are various times that I would have to prime the pump to get enough suction into the pump so it can start skimming as designed, or else nothing will happen.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have is does the pump need to be primed every time it is turned off? For example, during nightly dosing/feeding via Apex, my current Aquamaxx HOB 2 is turned off for an hour on the IM Nuvo 20 system, but after an hour via Apex it is turned back on. However, there are various times that I would have to prime the pump to get enough suction into the pump so it can start skimming as designed, or else nothing will happen.

Absolutely no priming. I use to have to do that with my Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 and Bullet skimmers. No more. Starts right up after feed mode or water change mode for me. It’s nice!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing for me is I have a k1 nano from coral vie and the pump sucks it didn’t even last 6 months

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely no priming. I use to have to do that with my Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 and Bullet skimmers. No more. Starts right up after feed mode or water change mode for me. It’s nice!
Which version would you recommend for the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 AIO? I currently have the Aquamaxx Bullet 2 (the middle one) hooked up to an Aquaforest air scrubber and want the same type of skimming power

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing for me is I have a k1 nano from coral vie and the pump sucks it didn’t even last 6 months

Did you ever submit a support ticket. They would have replaced the pump.

Which version would you recommend for the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 AIO? I currently have the Aquamaxx Bullet 2 (the middle one) hooked up to an Aquaforest air scrubber and want the same type of skimming power

So I have a 25 lagoon and the chambers are the same in the 20. The smaller, 120, skimmer will fit. The larger one will not. I have the larger on my 40 hooked up to a medium IceCap CO2 scrubber and it’s great. The smaller skimmer, I do not know it’s strength when paired with a scrubber as I have not done that yet.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That K1 nano pump is trash. Send me a message and I'll send you a link to the skimmer I use, if you'd like; it'll fit in the same chamber.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the new skimmers for over 7 months and both the DCair200 and 400 pumps have been great. With that said, the skimmers do have manufacturers warranties.

EL_Perron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
who is selling these and does the bottom for the pump open to clean that as well?

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who is selling these and does the bottom for the pump open to clean that as well?

They should be at Saltwateraquarium.com, premiumaquatics and Champion soon.

Everything opens to be cleaned. The pump drops out the bottom and the clear piece comes off as well.

AirNairb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to check the sizes for the second chamber in the IM Fusion 30 Long, but glad there are more options now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back