Hector23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to the hobby!
Definitely addictive.
I have some questions please help.
I just started my first 20g tank with 20 lbs of live sand from caribsea. with 20lbs of dry reef rock from caribsea witch I cleaned extremely well, and 5lbs of live rock from my local pet store witch looked in pretty good condition but after a week it has some white parts like very little why is that? And is it dying?

I set my tank up about a week and a half ago.
I let it sit for two days and had no ammonia nitrite or nitrate. So I added two shrimps. And let it sit for 24 hours. I then took them out and tested again. I had 4.0ppm on my ammonia, 0.25ppm on my nitrite and 0ppm on my nitrate.
I've from then done two small water changes. And I have not yet gotten any different results with my testing.
I did go to my local pet store and the guy I talk to said he set up tanks like I did and used bio spira after a couple of days with ammonia and added fish within 5 days later? And never has had any problems with his tank at all so I guess I can say he convinced me... how I said I'm new and should I use this product or wait and see what happens. Also if I have dry rock in my tank and after I am done with my cycle and add fish, how long after I can add any coral?... and is so can I out and coral on my dry rock or just on my live rock??

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club! I started with a 20 gallon myself...err...20 years ago its seems ;)

On the rocks, what kind of rocks did he sell you and can you provide a picture? What color was it and was it hard and smooth, soft and rough, sponge, etc. Most likely it is either die off of some encrusting hitchhiker or you have some coralline that is receding. Either way, nothing to be worry about, all part of the tank and rock cycling.

I would not do any water changes right now! You want that ammonia in the tank so your tank can develop its nitrogen cycling capacity. Wait until ammonia and nitrite is 0 before you start the water changes. Adding bio spiro is a good idea to help speed things along. I personally use Seachem Stability. While you *can* add fish that quick, I would not.

As far as adding corals, it has more to do with tank maturity rather than tank cycling. The nitrogen cycle is only first and most important cycle to balance in the tank. I still even today wait 30 days, although with the new bacteria products there is no reason you can't go 2 weeks. I have done QT tanks in only a few days, but I don't recommend haste if its not needed.

Once you do pull the trigger, stock the tank slowly. See what works for you and what does not. Start with the easier corals and work your way up to the harder corals.

...and don't forget to enjoy.

Back