New in-wall 110 tank build

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of the tank is going to remain open. I will have something at the rear of the tank to block out the view of the fish room. I was going to have a wood shelf on hinges that would be lifted up to access the back of the tank but I may just use a black curtain for now.
Love it! Following

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out a use for my reef savvy tank crate.
IMG_5479.JPG

It is the checkout counter at our new art studio.

That's legit [emoji7]

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. It's a paint-your-own pottery studio. We also have painting classes as well as a chef teaching cooking classes. It's on the side of my regular job and reef keeping:)

How's the build?

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it has been so long for an update. I appreciate you all keeping me honest [emoji38]. The last time I posted anything we had just opened our doors for our new art studio which has taken a huge amount of time and effort (not to mention [emoji383][emoji383]) to get it off the ground. Shortly afterwards we found out that my wife is pregnant and to top it all off I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease for which we have been trying to figure out treatment.
So the tank has been status quo. No new additions except for a hippo tang, yellow tang, cleaner shrimp and a coral beauty. I have a healthy amount of copepods and an even greater number since my mandarin took a fatal leap.
I have a bit of GHA but nothing that I can't get rid of. I was dosing some homemade no3pox but my nitrates were so low that I think I starved some corals I had purchased so I stopped that and took out the filter socks. I also turned the skimmer down. Hopefully I can get the nitrates to stabilize so I can add some corals (when I get some money[emoji30])
Future plans are to get some tanks so I can set up a mixing station and hopefully automate some water changes.

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That was a while ago. Sorry about falling off the face of the earth. Perhaps you have seen some of my other threads about low nitrate/phosphate issues, low pH and GHA outbreaks. I guess if anyone could do it, I probably wouldn't be interested in it o_O
I'll try to get some updates posted soon!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Jack. I love your build and fish room! I saw your crate somewhere...might have been pinterest? I hope your business is thriving, but more importantly that you are well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Jack. I love your build and fish room! I saw your crate somewhere...might have been pinterest? I hope your business is thriving, but more importantly that you are well.
Thanks Victoria! I know it has been a while and I appreciate the forum keeping me honest! I'm doing much better and the fam is doing great. The tank is doing pretty good. I bought a bunch of frags during a live sale and they all died. My conclusion is that my tank was too "clean" with no nitrates or phosphates. I think that my Alk was a little too high in regards to the lack of nitrates so I have removed the Chaeto from my fuge and have started to feed heavier. I did have a pretty good GHA outbreak but with manual removal and scrubbing, it appears to be doing much better. I will try to get some pics loaded soon!

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are those picks you promised us?
I totally forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder! I finally decided to rent a PAR meter from BRS and turns out my light levels were horribly off, so I broke down and bought a T5 LED hybrid. I haven’t ER-checked my levels yet but I plan to soon. I have been able to get my Nitrates up (around 10) and my phosphate up to around .025. I’m just waiting a bit to let everything stabilize before I decide to kill (I mean buy) another frag. I have some green striped mushrooms and some zoanthids that seem to be doing ok.
B832407D-202A-4D8D-85E0-A6F95AC8B8CE.jpeg
34185482-24E2-4C45-BE8B-43FC870392F4.jpeg
EF5FD462-5E7C-424C-A89B-D5240FF4F784.jpeg

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jackcarp! I found your build thread again and wanted to follow up and see how you are doing and then how the tank is? I hope you and your family are well during these crazy times! Pics if you have time...

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly the update I was hoping to give but I got a call from my tank-sitter that my gfci outlet tripped cutting power to my tank room. Power had been off for about 24 hours before she checked on it and found it that way. Temp got down to about 73 but the lack of water movement killed all but 3 of my fish. I got home the next day and the water parameters surprisingly were still stable and the coral doesn’t appear to be phased. (Not yet at least).
I have an apex that alerts me about things but how do you get notified that the power is out when the apex doesn’t have any power? Suggestions?

Attachments

• 4DEB5E86-939D-4DA6-AE96-4887C2DE07C1.jpeg
    4DEB5E86-939D-4DA6-AE96-4887C2DE07C1.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 25

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back