OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update Time: Good and bad
Changing filter floss daily without fail, skimmer was left off only one night so that’s an improvement. New larger power strip on the way to make it a little easier to do from my phone. Still not where I’d like my numbers but it’s better
pH -8 and dropping to about 7.8 middle of the night
DKH 8.1
Nitrate 19.8
Phos .26 this and nitrate were lowers before the skimmer was left off.
Cal 420
Mag 1170- starting to add supplemental very slowly. On about 60ml so far using the BRS calculator. I just started the mag yesterday and maybe it’s a fluke but everything looks good and open today.

Refugium is running pretty good, Chetao growing well but slow. Not much growth but not sure how much light was really getting in.
@dangles holy crap does it get other algae growing fast back there!

After my big rearranging last week I suffered some losses. RIP blue tip torch, I had moved it higher in the tank, dead within a day. Only one other torch is showing signs of stress and prob won’t make it but this is one I’ve brought back from the grave once before so we’ll see.

Rented a PAR meter this past weekend, (great podcast btw). Had a few surprises, had a hotspot right in the front bottom which makes sense but was really helpful I feel like. Was going to put up a pic with my numbers around but haven’t had time.

Spacing for some coral will need adjusted, def getting some growth!

Lastly I was happy about self control and not buying any coral last week. Threw that in the trash this weekend… got 2 new RFA in and a box coming from cornbred corals this Wednesday!

Thanks for checking in, here some pics I just took and have a great week!
IMG_2168.jpeg
IMG_2167.jpeg
IMG_2160.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg
IMG_2157.jpeg
IMG_2156.jpeg
IMG_2155.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg
IMG_2153.jpeg

Last edited:

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking good! You have SO MUCH CORAL :face-with-tears-of-joy:

And yes the fuge chamber gets gross quick! What's your lighting schedule like for it? I actually put a turbo snail in that chamber to see if he keeps it under control. I have my fuge light running 24/7 so hopefully that doesn't cause any issues with him :grimacing-face:

Are you using GFO?

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! You have SO MUCH CORAL :face-with-tears-of-joy:

And yes the fuge chamber gets gross quick! What's your lighting schedule like for it? I actually put a turbo snail in that chamber to see if he keeps it under control. I have my fuge light running 24/7 so hopefully that doesn't cause any issues with him :grimacing-face:

Are you using GFO?
Thank you sir!
I have been using BRS high capacity GFO, their calculator suggested 1/3 cup. I started with half that but running the full amount now. I had in a mesh bag folded into the intank basket but it was getting clogged in that chamber causing the filter floss to just float and didn’t think it was being effective. Now it is just hanging in the return chamber for now. My local guy suggested to just use phosphate E but I’d rather not if possible. I’ve looked at a little reactor like the IM ones for AIO but I’m not sold nor do I want to add more back there, it’s already cramped!

I had been running 24/7 but planning on with the new power strip will have timers and going to set it to opposite of my main and see what that does different. I did have one of the 2 emerald crabs back there prior to the refuge and it was spotless. Was back there because I caught it nipping at some coral, moved him back to the display after the refuge install. Caught it nipping at some zoas again over the weekend so they have an eviction notice! If I can catch the darn things I’ll just throw them both back there for sure!
I have noticed it seems it really grows the GHA between the back glass and the intank basket, that’s the only spot I’d really don’t think they could get to. Do you have that same issue?
IMG_2175.jpeg

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use the IM media basket for the floss and carbon in the first chamber. The second chamber is where my fuge caddy is sitting. The first chamber is still blacked out so I don't get any algae there. I do however get hair/film algae growing on the back glass in the fuge chamber. I remove the fuge caddy from that chamber and scrape it off about once per week. We'll see if the snail helps with that.

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time: Good and bad
Changing filter floss daily without fail, skimmer was left off only one night so that’s an improvement. New larger power strip on the way to make it a little easier to do from my phone. Still not where I’d like my numbers but it’s better
pH -8 and dropping to about 7.8 middle of the night
DKH 8.1
Nitrate 19.8
Phos .26 this and nitrate were lowers before the skimmer was left off.
Cal 420
Mag 1170- starting to add supplemental very slowly. On about 60ml so far using the BRS calculator. I just started the mag yesterday and maybe it’s a fluke but everything looks good and open today.

Refugium is running pretty good, Chetao growing well but slow. Not much growth but not sure how much light was really getting in.
@dangles holy crap does it get other algae growing fast back there!

After my big rearranging last week I suffered some losses. RIP blue tip torch, I had moved it higher in the tank, dead within a day. Only one other torch is showing signs of stress and prob won’t make it but this is one I’ve brought back from the grave once before so we’ll see.

Rented a PAR meter this past weekend, (great podcast btw). Had a few surprises, had a hotspot right in the front bottom which makes sense but was really helpful I feel like. Was going to put up a pic with my numbers around but haven’t had time.

Spacing for some coral will need adjusted, def getting some growth!

Lastly I was happy about self control and not buying any coral last week. Threw that in the trash this weekend… got 2 new RFA in and a box coming from cornbred corals this Wednesday!

Thanks for checking in, here some pics I just took and have a great week!
IMG_2168.jpeg
IMG_2167.jpeg
IMG_2160.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg
IMG_2157.jpeg
IMG_2156.jpeg
IMG_2155.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg
IMG_2153.jpeg
Looks fun! Will everything have room to grow?

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
O my does time fly, I believe 2/25/23 was the start date!
Been trying methods for filter changes, have been doing pinky filter cut in 4x4 squares in the intank basket then floss on top, changing the floss daily, pinky filter every other. Seems way better than floss alone.
Still rocking a 10g water change weekly, water parameters are still a work in progress. Po4 is still .15-.25, No3 10-15, Alk is my only steady @ 8.4, dosing now 12ml of All for Reef throughout the day. I know my heavy handed feeding is the cause of the higher #s but admitting you have a problem is the most important thing right?! Refuge is not growing like I think it should, been 2-3 months and only thrown out a pinch of growth off it. Still running refuge light opposite of the main. Would it wise to toss it and get new clean chateo? Something just isn't working.
I've not changed much equipment wise. I did add a light diffuser to the AI Hydra 32, seemed to help the disco ball effect a little but not sure if its really worth it. The Tunze 9004 skimmer is my own personal nightmare, I'm sure it works fine but for my application in the back of the AIO its not working out. It would be one thing if it was easy to disassemble and clean but it is not. Looking at picking up a AquaMaxx Bullet 2 or 3, I don't want the eyesore it comes a HOB with but it seems like the best option and seems easier to clean. (if its easier I tend to do it more)
Managed not to kill much during a 11 day vacation, had a buddy come change filter floss 2x and top off the ATO and went great!
Fish stock:
2 clowns, 2 Fire fish, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Mandarin, 1 Midas Blenny (living in the rear, jumped and haven't been able to get him out), 1 Melanurus Wrasse, 1 Flame Hawk, 1 *baby* Hippo(bad idea). CUC is still going strong, pods are going crazy
Hey @dangles, I was really on the fence about trying a clam but I finally found one about the right size, I hope I'm not slowly killing it but seems to be happy!
I have done quite a bit of changing, adding, moving coral around. Keep finding places to stick things! Some visible progress but always looking to improve on that. I'll load up some pics shortly.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Photoooooos!

Daily filter floss changes. OOF.

Did you see BRS's recent video with the guy who owns Clam Mania? Must-see if you haven't.

Your poor Midas blenny! I had a pistol shrimp find his way back there. I took everything out, drained it to about an inch or two, and used one of those specimen containers to corral him. I had to cut the hanger off so it would fit in the back. I used that as an excuse to clean out the back chamber as well :)

If you're not already dosing Chaeto Grow try that. I'd also try going 24/7 on your fuge. That should probably help your nutrients. That being said, if you're not growing algae in the display, I wouldn't stress it too much. My chaeto does grow, but the chamber also grows a ton of other algae. I just let it go for a few weeks, then clean it out on occasion.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey dangles!
Yes I did see that, was a very good video! I have been using live phyto and seems to be happy!
I will get the Midas out one of these days soon, that’s a great point to just give it a deep clean!
I will order some chaeto grow and try that first and switch the lights back to 24/7. I’ve had some bubble algae off and on but always been able to stay on top of it, gha in/around the refuge grows like crazy but very manageable.
Here’s some pics! Going to try and get a video up soon!
IMG_3611.jpeg
IMG_3609.jpeg
IMG_3610.jpeg
IMG_3615.jpeg
IMG_3607.jpeg
IMG_3606.jpeg
IMG_3605.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg

Only having real issues with one toadstool refusing to open for going on 2 months but I’d made it quite mad…and a few zoas giving me fits. Torches have been moved a lot, trying to get the flow balanced but seem happy!

Attachments

• IMG_3611.jpeg
    IMG_3611.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3617.jpeg
    IMG_3617.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3618.jpeg
    IMG_3618.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3619.jpeg
    IMG_3619.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 37

ChaseS10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you switch from the Nero power head to the MP-10? I'm building a 40 breeder now, and am considering an upgrade.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your rockscape.

I had this tank for 7 years, curved glass. It's great to see the tank quality hasn't got any better. PH was always low in it just given the way the baffles were. They made a massive change to them in your model so I am surprised your PH is on the low end. I had stagnant areas without a powerhead in the back. Then there was still a phosphate nitrate factory under the second baffles. It was always a struggle to keep the levels consistent when it came to phosphates and PH. It was always a chore to add things like reactors or refugium's. Personally I am glad I got rid of the darn thing. You in less than one year did way more than I ever did in 7 years. LOL! I look forward to your bigger build in the future when you outgrow this tank. By the looks of that it will be soon.

Again LOVE that rockwork.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What made you switch from the Nero power head to the MP-10? I'm building a 40 breeder now, and am considering an upgrade.
Hey! I started with the Nero 3, decided I needed 2 very soon after. My lack of experience led me to buy a used MP-10 for close to the same price, my thinking was no cord in the tank. The MP-10 is nice but in comparison I really like the Nero. My 2 cents
MP-10 is louder, not as friendly setting up/making adjustments. Lots of tinkering before it quiets down, and I’ve had the guard come off laying on top of corals. Nero can be dropped in, moved/angled, does have that ugly cord, the app is so easy to use, easy to clean, small footprint.
If I was to do it again I would do 2 Nero 3s or Nero 4s.

ChaseS10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I started with the Nero 3, decided I needed 2 very soon after. My lack of experience led me to buy a used MP-10 for close to the same price, my thinking was no cord in the tank. The MP-10 is nice but in comparison I really like the Nero. My 2 cents
MP-10 is louder, not as friendly setting up/making adjustments. Lots of tinkering before it quiets down, and I’ve had the guard come off laying on top of corals. Nero can be dropped in, moved/angled, does have that ugly cord, the app is so easy to use, easy to clean, small footprint.
If I was to do it again I would do 2 Nero 3s or Nero 4s.
I have two cheap powerheads right now, but am considering adding two Nero 5s and just turning the flow down. I already have AI Prime 16 lights and love the app. It seems they would use the same app.

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like your rockscape.

I had this tank for 7 years, curved glass. It's great to see the tank quality hasn't got any better. PH was always low in it just given the way the baffles were. They made a massive change to them in your model so I am surprised your PH is on the low end. I had stagnant areas without a powerhead in the back. Then there was still a phosphate nitrate factory under the second baffles. It was always a struggle to keep the levels consistent when it came to phosphates and PH. It was always a chore to add things like reactors or refugium's. Personally I am glad I got rid of the darn thing. You in less than one year did way more than I ever did in 7 years. LOL! I look forward to your bigger build in the future when you outgrow this tank. By the looks of that it will be soon.

Again LOVE that rockwork.
Thanks you so much!
I most certainly struggled with pH, I’ve ditched the glass lid and with the refuge seems to fixed that portion. I’m not sold I’m doing the best job keeping the rear compartments as clean as they could be. My main phosphate issue I believe is myself but getting better every day haha!

I’m def “almost” out of room lol but I keep finding a spot…. I am on a coral buying freeze, it’s been over a month since anythings been added! I would love a bigger tank in the future!!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two cheap powerheads right now, but am considering adding two Nero 5s and just turning the flow down. I already have AI Prime 16 lights and love the app. It seems they would use the same app.
Sounds like a good plan, I have adjusted mine around 45-65% and MP-10 is about 50%. I have they hydra 32, just pull up the app and both pump and light are there. Easy to click and drag to set the schedule.
IMG_3623.png

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You should look into kalk. I couldn't get my pH higher than 7.85 for the life of me, even with the fuge and 2-part dosing. I switched to kalk, and after a couple of weeks my pH got up to 8.4! It's been fluctuating between 8.31 and 8.38 for a few weeks since then. It's definitely worth a try.

You must have spent a FORTUNE on corals lol. It's all looking really good man. I wouldn't worry about the nutrients honestly. Your display doesn't seem to be telling you it needs lower nutrients!

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should look into kalk. I couldn't get my pH higher than 7.85 for the life of me, even with the fuge and 2-part dosing. I switched to kalk, and after a couple of weeks my pH got up to 8.4! It's been fluctuating between 8.31 and 8.38 for a few weeks since then. It's definitely worth a try.

You must have spent a FORTUNE on corals lol. It's all looking really good man. I wouldn't worry about the nutrients honestly. Your display doesn't seem to be telling you it needs lower nutrients!
Thanks sir!
I have everything need to dose for the kalk and the kalk, was concerned that when I ran 14ml daily on AFR my alk got up around 9.2, coral was not as happy. I was worried adding this trying to balance the alk. I’d say now it’s about 8-8.2 according to my high tech API master test kit lol. That 7.8 ph was before I kept the open top, skimmer running 24/7, and the refuge. Seems to be holding pretty steady, need a better test and do a test in the middle of the night. Any suggestions on a ph meter?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks sir!
I have everything need to dose for the kalk and the kalk, was concerned that when I ran 14ml daily on AFR my alk got up around 9.2, coral was not as happy. I was worried adding this trying to balance the alk. I’d say now it’s about 8-8.2 according to my high tech API master test kit lol. That 7.8 ph was before I kept the open top, skimmer running 24/7, and the refuge. Seems to be holding pretty steady, need a better test and do a test in the middle of the night. Any suggestions on a ph meter?

I have an Apex set up on mine. I recalibrate it monthly to make sure it doesn't drift. I think a lot of people use the Milwaukee meter.

My alk runs consistently between 9 and 9.5ish. But I don't have corals (yet!) :grimacing-face:

I'm building a new tank if you didn't see. I updated the "My Tank Thread" in my profile with the new build details :)

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quite a bit has changed, good and bad but its getting close to a year and would like to better at updates! Not sure where to start so here we go!
-Black friday I decided to add another flow up, Gyre 2K. Was really strong but thought it was ok, great movement. Went out of town a weekend, my largest coral frogspawn was pretty well dead, had been getting slammed against the rock work and I didn't catch it in time so that was a sad day. Pump removed and collecting dust now.
-New Pices EXO ClearView lid is awesome, really looks good and I'm not getting the condensation buildup in the corners like I though!
-Flamehawk(sat on every coral, killed 2 coral) Melanurus Wrasse(too large), and Coral Beauty (clam and zoa was new diet...nope!) were relocated/traded. I added a Naoka fairy wrasse and a tomini tang and 4 cardinals all doing well.
-pH has been stable, using a Milwaukie monitor.
-15w AquaUV is now up and running, took lots of playing to get it working but its working! Using a TMC 2500 return pump in a rear compartment next to the refuge and returning in that same chamber, not ideal but with the size of pump needed this was the best I could do with the room I had.
-Adding with UV has created a heating issue w/ pump, causing my tank to run at about 80-81, now also running a fan on the top to keep it right at 77-78.
-While installing the UV, about 3 days after noticed my coral seemed off. Tested and Alk 6.5, retested 5.5 on the Hanna :eek:. Somehow I managed to pull my dosing line off and was dosing 15mL of all for reef a day into the stand. Been doing water changes every other day for 6 days and I'm just getting back to 8dkh. No death...yet but everything is mad and rightfully so.
-Prior to this..... corals all doing pretty well, no crazy growth but color seems to be doing very well. Incrusting on the rock work in places, got my first few acro frags and they are still alive so that's the best I could hope for!
-1 issue I did run into with a frogspawn, seemed have white bugs of some kind. I dipped aggressively with Revive, Coral RX, and the red sea one with no luck. Was losing tissue (best I can describe is it looked like it had ick) and no polyp extension. Few posts of the same thing here recommended Interceptor which requires a vet, after emailing back in forth with one it was going to cost quite a bit for that script. So I was coming to grips with having to get rid of it since it seemed contained to one coral. Was watching some youtube dipping videos and saw the Bayer method on acro, figured why not. 1 dip and 20 rinses later it seems to have all but rid them, plan to dip once more. Been a week and it looks way better.
-I do really like the ocean design mag frag holders but some of my torches are getting top heavy making them rock a bit, don't think they will fall it just bothers me.
-I got on a softie coral kick for a bit, I'm afraid I'm creating a little chemical warfare. Don't know this for sure but it's stuck in my head. I know once they grow they won't have any room anyway so was planning on a big remodel and maybe trade off some of the toadstools.
*This is when the bad ideas started rolling*
I was lucky enough to win one of those reef breeders pico lights on here...hmm maybe just get a little 2nd tank. Just kept my eyes out for something used and figured I've got enough junk to set up at least 1 more tank. Everything I looked at or saw was so nasty and priced like gold, its winter so I'm not trying to clean up a mess outside. So I started looking new, ended up getting a IM Nuvo 15. All the junk I planned to use I've changed my mind on so it got expensive quick. This will be mainly softie tank is the plan. Bigger was my plan but not ready for that investment yet!

All I can think of at the moment, will post pics when I get home this evening.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back