New Kole tang shows no interest in vegetation

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends, I picked up a new kole tang last Saturday at my lfs. I've been trying different foods with him in my qt. Loves any of the meaty foods like brine, mysis, and Marine Cuisine. Gobbles it all up no problem. I have chaeto and calupra growing in the qt but haven't seen it touched. Also tried feeding some nori and showed no interest. I've got a frag with gha on it. I purposely put it in the qt to see if the tang would mow it down and it hasn't. Is this normal and ok of a Kole? Thanks!

Last edited:

Jack Eskay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is typical, took my tank a week or two before he started eating the nori I fed him

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't really eat nori off the clips (my wrasses do, though, and they make such a tremendous mess). I do have some nori ground up in the home brew fish food that he seems to eat. He is constantly grazing on the rocks, though.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole and my sailfin wont touch nori at all. They pick at the rock, but want nothing to do with the whole stuff. I supplement their diet now with spirulina enriched brine and seaweed extreme pellet foods.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kole are not really a leafy type algae or seaweed eater, they prefer slime type algae and the kind of algae that coats the glass and rock etc. and algae in the gravel.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome sounds like it'll be a perfect mate for the Reefer!

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine cleaned up all algae I had in about 2 weeks and keeps it to almost unobservable levels despite heavy feeding and infrequent water changes.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick video of the fish in my 30 gallon quarantine. I have a Yellow eye kole tang (from Hawaii), and a cute young juvenile/female Blue sided fairy wrasse (indo region). There is a small white spot over the koles eye. I believe this is a lymphocyte and should heal soon. Fingers crossed. Otherwise I feel that these will develope into beautiful specimens.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole are not really a leafy type algae or seaweed eater, they prefer slime type algae and the kind of algae that coats the glass and rock etc. and algae in the gravel.

This. They're detritivores more than herbivores. My Chevie never eats off the clip.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @shred5 and @ca1ore said.

You'll never have a cyano problem with him around. :)

As a bonus, they're apparently almost always found living singly in the wild....not a schooling or shoaling fish really at all.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back