New leopard wrasse not eating

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a leopard wrasse 4 days ago and placed in 20 gallon QT. He will not eat.

I called the LFS. They say they fed him frozen mysis. I have tried frozen mysis, Hikari pellet, 3 day old live brine shrimp, and raw scallops and raw wild shrimp from grocery store. He ignores it all.

Im about to leave on a work trip. I’m thinking of picking up some copepods next Monday so that will be 6 days without food.

Any other food suggestions?

nicholas.babb@gmail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two that are big copepod eaters; they constantly hunt for that stuff. Took a couple of days to eat prepared food but eventually took to all of it.

Is there sand in the QT? Leopard Wrasses require sandbed in order to sleep.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Leopards I never buy without seeing the eat first. Live food is a big help. Mine love pods but will also eat frozen foods

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get your hands on some live blackworms try that.

OP
OP
Clownfish2

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you buy blackworms.....bait and tackle store? The wrasse does have a sand bed in a Cool Whip container lol, he likes it.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your local fish store may have them or be able to get them, LRS fish eggs are also a good idea.

OP
OP
Clownfish2

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get your hands on some live blackworms try that.

How do you feed the black worms? I assume the black worms are too long to fit in the wrasses mouth so would need to dice them up to very small pieces or would you just toss them live into the tank ?

88C43C74-7204-4297-9F7D-26BEF57379D5.jpeg

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave whole and target feed a few at a time and see how it responds.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the blackworms whole and alive (they'll die shortly after being added, so just a few at a time). Fish with smaller mouths eat 'em like spaghetti.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live black worms, fish eggs(you can get tobiko from an Asian food store), reef plankton.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have never seen a leopard wrasse make it, that had not been treated for internal parasites. His qt tank needs to outfitted with sand as well or he will be super stressed. Live pods, live brine shrimp, live black worms, and depending on his size and the size of live ghost shrimp you can get; my leopard loves hunting ghosties. Fish with internal parasites may not eat, this is usually the case that gives some fish their difficulty in feeding. Immediately dose prazi pro, then follow up with metro/focus once he starts eating. I would establish some pods before I left on my trip, even the ones in tghe bottle at the lfs if necessary.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have never seen a leopard wrasse make it, that had not been treated for internal parasites. His qt tank needs to outfitted with sand as well or he will be super stressed. Live pods, live brine shrimp, live black worms, and depending on his size and the size of live ghost shrimp you can get; my leopard loves hunting ghosties. Fish with internal parasites may not eat, this is usually the case that gives some fish their difficulty in feeding. Immediately dose prazi pro, then follow up with metro/focus once he starts eating.
A container of sand will suffice. But I definitely agree that internal parasites often is what keeps a fish from feeding.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ornate leopard took a long time to start eating prepared foods. Months. Live pods are the key, lots of them. I went through quarantine with her only eating live pods, and one day in the DT she decided to start eating frozen foods randomly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back