New light stress? Loosing colour

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I recently had a frag that changed from an established tank to a pretty new one ( 4 months old). The coral lost much of it's coral , I doubt it is light stress because the new aquarium has a much stronger light , but wanted to hear from you.
Old tank Light : AI Prime HD - Distance from frag - 36cm
Old tank Params:
36 cm
9.0 dKH
3-5 ppm No3
0.046 Po4

New tank Light : GNC Bluray Pro + 2 Actinic bars - Distance from frag 63 cm
New tank Params:

7.3 dKH
3-5 ppm No3
0.046 Po4

Thanks everyone!!

Photos taken under the same light - Right one is 15 days after being changed to the new aquarium , Left one is the first day in the new aquarium

25 days diff .png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a bit of a difference with alkalinity (not sure about salinity?) I'm not clear on the two photos. The new tank has different lighting, but you seem to indicate that both photos are with the same light in both tanks?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont blame your lights or parameters , the tank (4 months old) is pretty new and I dont think that its ready for SPS yet .

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a bit of a difference with alkalinity (not sure about salinity?) I'm not clear on the two photos. The new tank has different lighting, but you seem to indicate that both photos are with the same light in both tanks?
Hi, salinity remains the same (1.026) , just lower alk on the new one. Yes both pictures are with the light on the new tank , but the first picture is minutes after introducing the frag to this tank so it looks about the same that it looked on the old tank. The right picture is 15 days after migrating the frag from the old tank

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, salinity remains the same (1.026) , just lower alk on the new one. Yes both pictures are with the light on the new tank , but the first picture is minutes after introducing the frag to this tank so it looks about the same that it looked on the old tank. The right picture is 15 days after migrating the frag from the old tank
Ah, ok - gotcha. Yeah, there's a definite change. The only way to know for certain if you're getting too much light would be to test with a PAR meter.

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok - gotcha. Yeah, there's a definite change. The only way to know for certain if you're getting too much light would be to test with a PAR meter.

Too much light would be weird as the coral is at the bottom of the glass, so even if it is getting 400-500 PAR it should be ok ... Can't get a PAR Meter around here .

Also , I have some LPS that I changed at the same time , they are at the same distance as the Acro from the light , some lost a bit of colour , others didn't...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably a combo of new tank, transfer and lighting. Are you sure that the new light is high quality? I have never heard of it... many new lights on the market are not better than the older ones.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jcosta98

Here is a reference to start with that shows PAR and mounting height along with settings for Blueray Pro's that also includes the bars. Also the Italian forums have a bunch of info on settings. More than likely you are putting down far more PAR than you expect.

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably a combo of new tank, transfer and lighting. Are you sure that the new light is high quality? I have never heard of it... many new lights on the market are not better than the older ones.
Thank you, yes they are pretty good, very known in europe
@jcosta98

Here is a reference to start with that shows PAR and mounting height along with settings for Blueray Pro's that also includes the bars. Also the Italian forums have a bunch of info on settings. More than likely you are putting down far more PAR than you expect.

@Hydrored Thank you for the reference!! Although those are 2 BluRays , I can kinda get the Idea. I will try cut my whites in 20% and see if it Improves, I'm only afraid of messing it even more! :( I guess I will give them more 15 days or so to see where it goes. Most of the LPS look completely fine , sitting 15 cm away from the frag , like this ones :
IMG_7122.JPG
IMG_7120.JPG

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back