OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a really nice pic! Did you end up changing your settings?

nope, same settings, just better luck i think.

i have a REALLY hard time seeing if the small polyps on sps are in focus through the tiny eye piece. i'm gonna get some sort eye piece extender that has a built in magnifier.

i'm still having better luck with my fstop at 16-22.

i think with the sigma lense, the DOF is much narrower than the cannon lense. thus i gota get the fstop up higher to get a better DOF.

its still frustrating that i cannot get closer than 1.5feet, considering the min focusing distance is 1.25feet. but oh well. the lense definitely has "sweet spots" when things are sharp.

its also extremely sensitive to the angle of the glass. i figured out today, that b/c i'm sitting off the glass about 6inch to a foot for some shots, that my lense isn't perfectly perpendicular to the glass. its a no brainer to get the lense perfectly perpendicular to the glass when you have to get so close you press it up against the glass. but i cant do that with my camera. the slightest angle to the glass will cause ALOT of distortion which may have been attributing to some of my blurriness.

oh yeah, that first pic i posted today of the tricolor acro had a little bit of help in photoshop, you definitely cant get an image like that without some touchup work on the computer.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you really should set your iso to 100, then it will be much less sensitive to noise and you'll get much sharper shots

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have problems getting perpendicular to my glass to. I usually take my pics from about 2" away and alot of the times my shots are at a slight angle.
That last pic is that the ORA green with blue polyp acro?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you really should set your iso to 100, then it will be much less sensitive to noise and you'll get much sharper shots

i believe those last 2 shots were at iso 200.

I have problems getting perpendicular to my glass to. I usually take my pics from about 2" away and alot of the times my shots are at a slight angle.
That last pic is that the ORA green with blue polyp acro?

yup, thats the ora green acro with blue polyps. its lost some color here in the past week b/c my radium bulb just shifted spectrums and probably lost a bunch of PAR. the bulb is almost at 6months so i'm gonna swap it out with a new bulb here real soon cuz the colors in alot of my corals dont look as cool in the last 2 weeks.

divecj5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pics Al...I just read through the three pages and the pics got progressively better :). I think you are doing a great job and all of them look awesome.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back