new macro pics

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't had time to mess with this new lense. its a sigma 150mm. i'm still concerned about it being able to focus at the extremes min focus distance. as i cant get any closer than 1.5feet or things are too blurry. not sure if its a defect or not. but it should go up to 1.25feet.....i need more time to experiment.

here are my first decent pics...not photoshop or cropping.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang! Looking good man!!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! Looking good man!!

i'm still not convinced yet. way too many of them are slightly blurry. i just can't seem to figure out why, other than 1.25feet b/w 1.5feet is just too blurry, and i cannot get good shots. something has gota be wrong with the lense.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet nikonguy would have some good tips....

I agree, some of the shots of your SPS have some noticeable blur. Good to see the great color and healthy corals though! What do you call the purple with green polyp montipora? I have one like it.

toddman74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice shots surfn... maybe the last 2 are a little blurry.

what is the name of that zoa in the pic with the goniopora? I have the same ones..

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a setosa frag i got from patedship recently. its about the size of my pinky fingernail.

its cropped obviously, but i think it came out really good.

setosacloseup.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet nikonguy would have some good tips....

I agree, some of the shots of your SPS have some noticeable blur. Good to see the great color and healthy corals though! What do you call the purple with green polyp montipora? I have one like it.

yup, been talking to nikon guy and some other people. they do have good advice. :) the purple w/ green polyps is new, lost a bit of color due to shipping. kinda like a bonsai acro but with alot thinner branches.

are you using a remote?
i assume tripod in use?

what settings are you using?

no remote, just a timer and tripod. i'm also using something called mirror lock to min vibration from the shutter.

i'm using aperature priority at F20-F22, ISO is b/w 400-800 on most shots.

i'm gonna get a eye piece magnifier, b/c the polyps on sps are so tiny i can't tell if they are in focus or not until i get them on the computer and zoom in. i hope that will help.

nice shots surfn... maybe the last 2 are a little blurry.

what is the name of that zoa in the pic with the goniopora? I have the same ones..

dont have a goni, but if you are referring to the ones with a green skirt and red circle on the inside. they dont have a name that i'm aware of. :) sloooooooow growers though.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well of course you need practice, but for a brand new lens you are rocking along IMO.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the above picture for a better reference in size. its on a standard sized frag plug. no cropping, this is the original picture.

IMG_0829.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would set iso to 100, that will give you the sharpest pic without noise, ala the graininess which i can see in the setosa shot,

i usually get my best shots somewhere in the middle f8-12, having it as high as 20 give you great depth of field but with a macro that is not what you are looking for.

assuming you have your pumps shut off, you can set your shutter speed to something really slow, like 1/4 or slower, you'll have to play around with it

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pics came out good Al. I'm really liking that M. setosa.
I tend to get my best pics with iso 100, somewhere around f9 with the cam set on AV mode. I usually take a pic at each fstop between 6-12 and then in processing I decide which one looks the best.

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Al, is that setosa red or orange? It looks a little red give it some time to settle in from shipping and it will be BRIGHT!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back