New Mandarin Dragonet Gill Issue?

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I recently ordered a pair (male and female) of mandarin dragonets from BlueZoo Aquatics, and they arrived yesterday. Everything looked ok in the bags, but I noticed shortly after getting them in tank the female has a white protruding spot around her pectoral fins/gill and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I thought maybe it was stress related from shipping, but it can still be seen prominently today. I also noticed the female swipe against the sand once (haven't seen it again) on the side of her body opposite this gill/fin thing... which gave me further pause.

I have both these fish in a QT tank away from my display, but they're being QT'd with some other fish and a couple inverts. Had I noticed this before getting all the fish in the tank, I would have created a quick QT tank for the female by herself. Aside from this, she seems super healthy and has been very inquisitive and munching on copepods. Not sure what action if any I should be taking at this moment.

Any ideas on what this might be and how to treat it? Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.

IMG_1594.jpg IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1596.jpg IMG_1593.jpg

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I recently ordered a pair (male and female) of mandarin dragonets from BlueZoo Aquatics, and they arrived yesterday. Everything looked ok in the bags, but I noticed shortly after getting them in tank the female has a white protruding spot around her pectoral fins/gill and I'm not entirely sure what it is. I thought maybe it was stress related from shipping, but it can still be seen prominently today. I also noticed the female swipe against the sand once (haven't seen it again) on the side of her body opposite this gill/fin thing... which gave me further pause.

I have both these fish in a QT tank away from my display, but they're being QT'd with some other fish and a couple inverts. Had I noticed this before getting all the fish in the tank, I would have created a quick QT tank for the female by herself. Aside from this, she seems super healthy and has been very inquisitive and munching on copepods. Not sure what action if any I should be taking at this moment.

Any ideas on what this might be and how to treat it? Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.

IMG_1594.jpg IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1596.jpg IMG_1593.jpg
#fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mandarins get injured/abraded there, I think their gill covers catch on nets or something. I would just observe it for now, since mandarins don't tolerate some medications very well, and a good diet and water quality is the best way to get them through an observational quarantine.

Jay

OP
OP
BasicBitz

BasicBitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen mandarins get injured/abraded there, I think their gill covers catch on nets or something. I would just observe it for now, since mandarins don't tolerate some medications very well, and a good diet and water quality is the best way to get them through an observational quarantine.

Jay
Thank you for the insight, Jay! Will definitely keep a close eye on it in the QT.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back