New Mangrove Peninsula

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread for my Mangrove peninsula tank, but I think because Mangroves are together with macro algae it does not receive a lot of views or comments. I am going to try to transition the thread here to get more comments. I have a few questions that I would love some help with either here or at the build thread:

mangrove 1.jpeg

mangrove 2.jpeg
mangrove 4.jpeg
mangrove 5.jpeg
mangrove 6.jpeg
mangrove 7.jpeg

1. Do I need less flow? The mangroves seem to be slightly growing, but there is a good amount of flow in the DT.
2. Should I setup a refugium in the back chamber? Or will the Mangroves sucking out nutrients suffice?
3. The two mangroves in the DT are very close to the AI Prime. Is that a problem? The leaves are slightly curling inward.

Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...-mangrove-tank-is-ready.897897/#post-10222556

Here is my other tank I am running a Fluval Evo
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/13-5-fluval-evo-build-thread-mixed-reef-exotic-invert-tank.822855/
fluval 3.jpeg

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup looks great, I would take the power strip and mount it under the stands lip having the outlets facing down to avoid water splashing into it. They seem to be reaching for the light. They tend to grow with a more yellow spectrum Good luck

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell by their leaf coloration if they are getting enough light and nutrition. Light green is a sign of low light/ low nutrition. Red/green coloration is a sign of proper light and nutrition. I understand this is a super simplistic perspective but it has been a good indicator for me over time.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very interesting stand!
Thank you! Pretty make-shift, but it gets the job done. Sometimes I worry about its stability, but it was rather hard to find any stand that fit the dimensions of the tank and wasn't $500+.

Your setup looks great, I would take the power strip and mount it under the stands lip having the outlets facing down to avoid water splashing into it. They seem to be reaching for the light. They tend to grow with a more yellow spectrum Good luck
Appreciate you chiming in. I will definitely try doing that to avoid any electrical issues. They do somewhat look like they're reaching for light/ What surprises me though is I have an AI Prime running high whites, red, greens running very high power for my size of a tank. I also have a grow light mounted on the ceiling. Should this not be more than sufficient?

You can tell by their leaf coloration if they are getting enough light and nutrition. Light green is a sign of low light/ low nutrition. Red/green coloration is a sign of proper light and nutrition. I understand this is a super simplistic perspective but it has been a good indicator for me over time.
Thank you for chiming in as well. That is a good rule of thumb and they have definitely gotten a bit more light green since getting them. They had virtually no root system though when I put them in the tank and with the flow were shaking around. Since getting them 2 months ago they have stopped moving around with the flow and created a solid root system. The one in the back is doing extra well (surprising with the less flow/light). It's leaves were folded up when I first got it and now it is already growing a second set of leaves. Maybe I have to much light on the two in the DT? Maybe the light is to close to them and they're acclimating to it? Just some thoughts..

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Pretty make-shift, but it gets the job done. Sometimes I worry about its stability, but it was rather hard to find any stand that fit the dimensions of the tank and wasn't $500+.

Appreciate you chiming in. I will definitely try doing that to avoid any electrical issues. They do somewhat look like they're reaching for light/ What surprises me though is I have an AI Prime running high whites, red, greens running very high power for my size of a tank. I also have a grow light mounted on the ceiling. Should this not be more than sufficient?

Thank you for chiming in as well. That is a good rule of thumb and they have definitely gotten a bit more light green since getting them. They had virtually no root system though when I put them in the tank and with the flow were shaking around. Since getting them 2 months ago they have stopped moving around with the flow and created a solid root system. The one in the back is doing extra well (surprising with the less flow/light). It's leaves were folded up when I first got it and now it is already growing a second set of leaves. Maybe I have to much light on the two in the DT? Maybe the light is to close to them and they're acclimating to it? Just some thoughts..
You will get to know your mangroves over time. I won't say that your leaves are not green or that you light is not strong enough. You alone will know your plants. Mine start with thin wite roots and develop onto thick dark red roots. I grow mine in water only so the root structure is aberrant. I wouldn't pay as much attention to the leaf direction as I would it's fullness and depth of color. I would probably move you ceiling mounted light out a bit to be more centered over the tank. I look forward to watching this grow out.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if root systems dictate a Mangroves health than mine is doing great so far! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

But really in like 2 months this thing is growing a ton of roots. Cant say the same about the leaves, but I guess a strong root system starts first. @Sean Clark thank you again for the advice. Last night I spent some time trying to get the ceiling hang on more centered. It seems a lot better now. I also gave the rocks a good scrub and I am surprised how much the roots have started growing through the rock work. Definitely going to keep the mangroves where they are as of now.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if root systems dictate a Mangroves health than mine is doing great so far! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

But really in like 2 months this thing is growing a ton of roots. Cant say the same about the leaves, but I guess a strong root system starts first. @Sean Clark thank you again for the advice. Last night I spent some time trying to get the ceiling hang on more centered. It seems a lot better now. I also gave the rocks a good scrub and I am surprised how much the roots have started growing through the rock work. Definitely going to keep the mangroves where they are as of now.
Any more updates on the status of your mangrove?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more updates on the status of your mangrove?
Hey thanks for bringing this back. All three mangroves are doing incredibly well. The root systems are getting huge and extending into the sand. The tank is not doing well though. I made another post about this last week. Apparently my Caulerpa went asexual and released gametes / toxins and all died (I did not know it could do this). It has made the tank poisonous so I cant add anything in quite yet. I will add photos of the mangrove progress in a moment.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights are about to go off and the tank has a lot of algae - but here’s some progress photos. Since readjusting the mangrove plant light and getting a higher flex arm for the AI prime they seem a lot happier and still recovering from light shock a bit. New leaves are starting to open on all three of them. Also in the third photo you can see the giant roots I am pointing at extending into the sand bed.
09911557-CA54-4CD3-9244-43E243754445.jpeg
23DD99EB-7A21-47C7-9DD6-1587A3FA0E19.jpeg
ADBBC772-6FDC-4265-95E1-260B48E2EBBA.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back