The 15.2 Peninsula (Waterbox) Mangrove Tank is ready!!

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Waterbox 15.2 peninsula is about a few months old and dedicated entirely for a Mangrove. I only have some liverock and a kenya tree frag I was gifted isolated on a front rock. The tank is still finding stability as you can see with all the algae. I feel like after about 3 months I am ready to introduce a Mangrove or two. I don't think they will mind the instability in terms of nitrates/phosphates and may even add some balance seeing they consume organics on such a high level. You may have seen some of my last posts here getting ready for this tank. I am happy to finally be ready to start! Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

On this tank I am running:
- AI Prime 16 HD geared with high whites,reds,greens.
- Relassey LED Plant Light attached to the ceiling for any extra/outgrowth
- Nero Wavemaker
- Stock Return pump / custom return nozzle
- Basic Heater
- Macro algae in the front and back chambers

waterbox mangrove 4.jpeg
waterbox mangrove 2.jpeg

Here is my other current tank - a Fluval Evo mixed reef
fluval .jpeg
waterbox mangrove 3.jpeg waterbox mangrove.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Hulahoop and yellow submarine poster are a nice touch in your photos.
Thank you sir! I love the Beatles and my roommate is into fire spinning.

We are getting two Mangrove saplings this Saturday :cool: The person has them at 10.24 converted from fresh to salt so perfect for the tank!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that pink RFA is gorgeous!
Thank you! Unfortunately a lot of my RFAs have been declining in size even though I spot feed. I am amping up spot feeding and thinking it may be the Aiptasia problem I have that is outcompeting the RFAs for space. Berghias should be coming soon.

Here is an update on the Mangrove tank! I got them yesterday. It was tough to get them situated without falling over and also being to far in the water. Had to move all the rock. I think it looks good though. I guess I will be able to know their is progress if the Mangrove stops shaking, as that means the root system is clinging on the rock.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tried adding a Bangai cardinal a few days ago but it died overnight. Going to go slower and add some snails/hermits the next few days. Not sure why the fish would’ve died when the params check out fine. Big crush on my morale. Here’s an update though! The back mangrove looks to be doing well. Not sure if the other front two are getting to much flow or they don’t like being so far in the water. I think they’re all growing though
9E4CD178-D7BA-4C59-A558-221E571231D9.jpeg
E1EDBE10-16D9-49FB-9E87-EDD32562330A.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely slow down the flow. I live in Florida we have lots of mangroves and they are found on the shoreline. There is not a whole lot of water movement.
The mangroves are doing well, rooting, and not shaking around anymore. Still think I should decrease the flow? I am having pretty bad algae problems which is odd to me because I am not feeding much and only have the mangroves in the tank with some hermits and macro algae.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an update! I’m definitely going to get the 18 inch flex arm soon for the Ai prime for more spread. This algae problem has been annoying though. Maybe becuase nutrients bottomed out?
F309842C-6618-4B83-9E9D-B06D4C799D15.jpeg

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mangroves are doing well, rooting, and not shaking around anymore. Still think I should decrease the flow? I am having pretty bad algae problems which is odd to me because I am not feeding much and only have the mangroves in the tank with some hermits and macro algae.
Lower flow is sometimes is a cure for cyanobacteria. That looks like green hair algae do to a new tank. It looks like you tank is about 4-5 months old which would be normal for a tank that age you can re move it manual, do weekly water changes and add more of a clean up crew.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower flow is sometimes is a cure for cyanobacteria. That looks like green hair algae do to a new tank. It looks like you tank is about 4-5 months old which would be normal for a tank that age you can re move it manual, do weekly water changes and add more of a clean up crew.
Greatly appreciate the post. You are literally on the nail. About 5 months old. Most of my other tanks seem pretty stable and figured out by now. Guess this one is just taking its time. The water has been a bit cloudy for a month even with water changes so Im guessing just a long lasting bacterial bloom. I will take your advice and lower the flow. Largely because I would like to make this a lagoon style tank and lower flow would definitely fit the into the style I am looking for. Also I would like to make the Mangroves as happy as possible.

The mangrove in the back is making new leaves already as you can see by the photos. The two in the front are definitely growing a bit, but the leaves are slightly curling inward.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone with experience help me here? Will Mangroves act as a macro algae and suck out the nutrients for the tank? Or should I start a little refugium in the back chambers with a reverse schedule going?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mangroves will suck up nutrients but they grow pretty slowly. Obviously the larger they get the more they will pull out. I grow them more for ornamental reasons then nutrient control. You could add a couple more instead of adding a seperate refugium in the back. I would try to remove some of that GHA on the back. Odds are that is soaking up the nutrients much faster than the mangroves.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics
Screenshot_20220302-205925_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220406-155606_Gallery.jpg
Thank you very much for chiming in. Your setup is super cool. Mind my tank is only a 15 gallon already with 3 mangroves. 2 in the front, 1 in the back. I feel like adding more would just be overdoing it. The GHA has been a battle. The tank is 4-5 months old and every couple weeks im pulling it out. Im feeding once or twice a week with nothing but some hermits in there.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I did was to collect a number of seed pods (forgot their special name) last fall on the beach into holes punched into styrofoam and floated them in the chaeto mass under red light till they had well established roots.

then planted them in firm clear glass flower vases and in miracle mud, (topped off last week for some Hawaiian mud) and placed in the back and scaped around the pots a in a 90 lagoon set up

Bought 2 Neat feeding ports so that they could grow up through the screen top (cannot bear finding jumped fish)

What I find is that they prosper with regular DI water misting

Am doubtful that they play much of a nutrient uptake role, certainly compared to the Chaeto/sargassum refugium, just love the look and dig finding the occasional snail climbing up on the base out of the water

Will send pictures in a bit

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I did was to collect a number of seed pods (forgot their special name) last fall on the beach into holes punched into styrofoam and floated them in the chaeto mass under red light till they had well established roots.

then planted them in firm clear glass flower vases and in miracle mud, (topped off last week for some Hawaiian mud) and placed in the back and scaped around the pots a in a 90 lagoon set up

Bought 2 Neat feeding ports so that they could grow up through the screen top (cannot bear finding jumped fish)

What I find is that they prosper with regular DI water misting

Am doubtful that they play much of a nutrient uptake role, certainly compared to the Chaeto/sargassum refugium, just love the look and dig finding the occasional snail climbing up on the base out of the water

Will send pictures in a bit
Thank you as well for chiming in. Excited to see photos. I have an AI prime geared with high whites, reds, greens, plus a grow light attached to the ceiling as you can see. No miracle mud or anything they are just placed into the rocks. The roots are growing a bunch of those little white tendrils and slowly growing so that must be a good sign. Just a bit worried about the leaves curling, but it was the first set of leaves since I got.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you as well for chiming in. Excited to see photos. I have an AI prime geared with high whites, reds, greens, plus a grow light attached to the ceiling as you can see. No miracle mud or anything they are just placed into the rocks. The roots are growing a bunch of those little white tendrils and slowly growing so that must be a good sign. Just a bit worried about the leaves curling, but it was the first set of leaves since I got.
not an expert, second try, but the first, left to root in the rocks fizzled out
the second, with the mud, are thriving

easier to hide to glass vases in a 90, but if you can find the right on for your 16, it may be worth a try, based on on the other great things you are doing

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not an expert, second try, but the first, left to root in the rocks fizzled out
the second, with the mud, are thriving

easier to hide to glass vases in a 90, but if you can find the right on for your 16, it may be worth a try, based on on the other great things you are doing
I just bought some Fiji mud and hoping to add that and mangroves to my refugium. Has the mud made a noticeable impact?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back