Which 6 foot peninsula tank would you buy?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have looked at them not sure I have felt the additional cost compared to the others seems worth it.
Although the tank is the most expensive single item, in the long run you will probably end up spending more on other equipment, livestock, maintenance, etc. I think finding the features, dimensions, sump layout, etc that matches your needs and wants is the most important. I suspect the Cade, WB, and IM are all good options, just depends on what is the best fit for you.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking at Red Sea g2+ peninsula. But heard bad stories of older Red Sea’s. Never heard of IM, is that American?
Yes stay away from redsea large tank except the 1000. The rest are all has front pannel overhang. You dont know how many emergency I had to do due to busted seems on the redsea. I have a client redsea 625 peninsula is on a ticking time bomb now as the silicone is giving out.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The IM sits perfectly on the stand.
Doors are nice but their is a noticable gap on some panels.
The 2 side doors are nice.
Make sure you shim the bottom crossbars. The stand is rock solid when shimmed correctly.
Never saw a waterbox. Anyone have a pic of the glass overhang?
The only thing that I dont like is the overflow section of the sump. Not sure why they made it so small.
20240203_113632.jpg

20240302_070819.jpg
For the benefit of all IM owners, how did you shim the bottom crossbars? I've never shimmed this type of stand, only wood stands. How far apart did you place the shims? Any photos would be great! Thanks for the help!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the benefit of all IM owners, how did you shim the bottom crossbars? I've never shimmed this type of stand, only wood stands. How far apart did you place the shims? Any photos would be great! Thanks for the help!
My tank was off over 1/2" left to right. I used plywood and plastic shims cut to size. Once the stand was level I used wood and plastic shims under the crossbars and around the bottom of the stand.
This creates a very stable system.
The crossbars are now supported against the floor. When you put the sump in place its rock solid.
If your crossbars have contact with the floor then they do not need shims.
I had a large gap around the base of the stand. I slid plastic shims under the gaps.
In these pics you can see the wood shims leveled at all corners. I then filled in the gap with wood and plastic shims.
You can see the start of the crossbar shims in the second pic.
To hide the gap I used caulking tape ran around the bottom.
Tanks rock solid with no movement.
I also used caulking tape to seal the inside bottom piece so any spilled water can not go under the stand.
Zoom in to see the shims.
20240109_152056.jpg

20231225_125054.jpg
20240203_113632.jpg
20240203_113618.jpg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank was off over 1/2" left to right. I used plywood and plastic shims cut to size. Once the stand was level I used wood and plastic shims under the crossbars and around the bottom of the stand.
This creates a very stable system.
The crossbars are now supported against the floor. When you put the sump in place its rock solid.
If your crossbars have contact with the floor then they do not need shims.
I had a large gap around the base of the stand. I slid plastic shims under the gaps.
In these pics you can see the wood shims leveled at all corners. I then filled in the gap with wood and plastic shims.
You can see the start of the crossbar shims in the second pic.
To hide the gap I used caulking tape ran around the bottom.
Tanks rock solid with no movement.
I also used caulking tape to seal the inside bottom piece so any spilled water can not go under the stand.
Zoom in to see the shims.
20240109_152056.jpg

20231225_125054.jpg
20240203_113632.jpg
20240203_113618.jpg
Great explanation! Nice clean finish too! I forgot that the bottom braces are accessible before the bottom board is installed. I'm too used to leveling wood stands where only the outer edges are accessible. I am thinking about building a level platform out of 2x4s with a 3/4" plywood top to give a little extra height. Are you guys happy with the height of the stand or would you go a little higher if you could?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great explanation! Nice clean finish too! I forgot that the bottom braces are accessible before the bottom board is installed. I'm too used to leveling wood stands where only the outer edges are accessible. I am thinking about building a level platform out of 2x4s with a 3/4" plywood top to give a little extra height. Are you guys happy with the height of the stand or would you go a little higher if you could?
Stand height is fine. I would prefer a 30". I can almost reach the bottom. I use a small 9" step platform to work in the tank and it works well.
I dont think anything is needed as the stand is already 36" but thats a personel choice.
The entire bottom edge is easily shimmed before you add the supplied bottom.
Just shim the corners level and then shim the gaps.
20240306_130550.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back