The 15.2 Peninsula (Waterbox) Mangrove Tank is ready!!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cool things about Mangroves is if your getting the water/lightning right I think they will grow on anything. Rock, sand, mud, and even nothing floating in suspension! Pretty interesting. I imagine the mud would likely be best because it copies the wild, but I am sure there are mangroves growing in all sorts of places in the wild.

I would love to see anyones setups if they have not shared yet! As of now I think I am going to buy a higher flex arm for my AI prime and see if this helps with the adjustment of the ceiling grow light. Wish me luck.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some Fiji mud and hoping to add that and mangroves to my refugium. Has the mud made a noticeable impact?
my previous mangrove try, with roots in the rocks never took. off
in mud they are seeming to thrive
there are a few other changes between the two efforts but I am going with this one
I also think mud does the tank a little good
good luck

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my previous mangrove try, with roots in the rocks never took. off
in mud they are seeming to thrive
there are a few other changes between the two efforts but I am going with this one
I also think mud does the tank a little good
good luck
I have personally seem some incredibly healthy mangrove trees just rooted to rocks and sand. Again I think mud would probably be closest to the environment, but clearly anything can work long term. I have them just in my rock work and their root system is growing like crazy all through the rocks. I imagine within a month or two it will start growing in the sand as well.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves are not good for nutrient export. Fast growth = Fast expor. When you physically remove algae from the refugium then you are removing nutrients. That’s why people use cheato and before that it was caluerpa. Algae scrubers use hair algae. Can you theoretically use mangroves for nutrien export yes if you have a large number, 100’s. I have seen pictures of someone years ago who had a closet growing mangroves hydroponically through pvc pipes. I am not sure how it workEd but it was very interesting. Refugium muds claim to contain nutrients that algae and plants need, think potting soil. Is it worth It? I have used them in my mangrove setups because I got a great deal on them years ago. Would I pay $50 dollars to use them, I honestly don’t know. I can say that I do have healthy mangroves with nice dark green leaves.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves are not good for nutrient export. Fast growth = Fast expor. When you physically remove algae from the refugium then you are removing nutrients. That’s why people use cheato and before that it was caluerpa. Algae scrubers use hair algae. Can you theoretically use mangroves for nutrien export yes if you have a large number, 100’s. I have seen pictures of someone years ago who had a closet growing mangroves hydroponically through pvc pipes. I am not sure how it workEd but it was very interesting. Refugium muds claim to contain nutrients that algae and plants need, think potting soil. Is it worth It? I have used them in my mangrove setups because I got a great deal on them years ago. Would I pay $50 dollars to use them, I honestly don’t know. I can say that I do have healthy mangroves with nice dark green leaves.
Good points. I have since setup a refugium in the back chamber like I did with my fluval evo. Hoping it will help stabilize the tank. Next I will get a larger flex arm to increase the space between the 2 mangroves in the DT and the AI Prime.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back