New mantis tank water parameters

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased at peacock mantis, I put him in a 20 gallon tank and added dr tims instant add. He ate a damsel fish and water parameters are at 1.0ppm ammonia seems odd given that dr tims claims to allow me to add him instantly. What should I do ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased at peacock mantis, I put him in a 20 gallon tank and added dr tims instant add. He ate a damsel fish and water parameters are at 1.0ppm ammonia which seems odd given that dr tims claims to allow me to add him instantly. What should I do ?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome 2r2 I would do a water change. What was the date on the bottle. Seachem prime locks ammonia for 24hrs. How soon after adding the Dr tims did you test.

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased at peacock mantis, I put him in a 20 gallon tank and added dr tims instant add. He ate a damsel fish and water parameters are at 1.0ppm ammonia seems odd given that dr tims claims to allow me to add him instantly. What should I do ?

Do you have live rock? Was the tank cycled before adding the mantis? How big is the mantis right now?

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome 2r2 I would do a water change. What was the date on the bottle. Seachem prime locks ammonia for 24hrs. How soon after adding the Dr tims did you test.
I tested 24 hours after adding dr Tims

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria was not expired

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did as well, still took about 2 weeks before I felt like the tank was ready to go.
What should I do ? He seems active and healthy I don’t want him to die. The LFS had him crammed into a 3.5g tank with heavy lighting

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do ? He seems active and healthy I don’t want him to die. The LFS had him crammed into a 3.5g tank with heavy lighting

Water changes! Make sure the water you are mixing (or buying) tests out as close as possible to what is in the tank (salinity is very important). This will keep your ammonia and nitrates from getting to high and hopefully your biofilter catches up soon!

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes! Make sure the water you are mixing (or buying) tests out as close as possible to what is in the tank (salinity is very important). This will keep your ammonia and nitrates from getting to high and hopefully your biofilter catches up soon!
How often should I do these changes and how much should I change ?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often should I do these changes and how much should I change ?
There is a huge variety of opinions on water changes. For a brand new tank that I was trying to control ammonia on (not typically an issue in a more established reef) maybe change some every few days for a little bit? Test your water often, it will let you know what it needs. Start with 10 gallons (ASAP) and test again. See where that puts you and go from there. Long term you won’t need to change water nearly as often, or as much. It depends on what sort of filtration, dosing, and feeding schedule/bio load you have. Personally, I change 5g of water every 14 days on my 28g, but in 2 separate changes so as to minimize swings and maximize nutrient export. Some people will go multiple weeks or even months without water changes and everything in between, but that is in established systems that already have a good biofilter established. Definitely don’t add any other fish and keep feeding to a minimum for a while, and hopefully everything will be fine!

Oh, and I hope that didn’t sound like Greek. Ideally when you do water changes you don’t want to change more than 20-25%, but in this case it’s much more important to get that ammonia down.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do 50%watwr change than you will reduce ammonia by 50%

When you do water change make sure temp and salinity is matched. During this process you should keep rodi and saltwater premixed to make changes quicker.

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a huge variety of opinions on water changes. For a brand new tank that I was trying to control ammonia on (not typically an issue in a more established reef) maybe change some every few days for a little bit? Test your water often, it will let you know what it needs. Start with 10 gallons (ASAP) and test again. See where that puts you and go from there. Long term you won’t need to change water nearly as often, or as much. It depends on what sort of filtration, dosing, and feeding schedule/bio load you have. Personally, I change 5g of water every 14 days on my 28g, but in 2 separate changes so as to minimize swings and maximize nutrient export. Some people will go multiple weeks or even months without water changes and everything in between, but that is in established systems that already have a good biofilter established. Definitely don’t add any other fish and keep feeding to a minimum for a while, and hopefully everything will be fine!

Oh, and I hope that didn’t sound like Greek. Ideally when you do water changes you don’t want to change more than 20-25%, but in this case it’s much more important to get that ammonia down.
The guy at my lfs said to wait and see if the ammonia reduces itself by Wednesday before doing a change

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at my lfs said to wait and see if the ammonia reduces itself by Wednesday before doing a change
I would do a water change and add more Dr. Tims and add again tomorrow.

What type of water are you using?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my water and it came back at 1.0ppm. I dosed ammo lock to make it non toxic and I’ll do a 50% change tonight
Well it didn't go up that's a good thing.
Remember the ammo lock is only a stop gap. I would also add more Dr tims

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back