OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have had better luck with bio spira from Instant Ocean than Dr Tim's. Dr. Tim's took way longer to knock down ammonia. The bio spira had it reading 0 after a day and a half.

I would also do water changes to knock down the ammonia levels.
I will use that instead of dr tims then. How often should I feed my mantis ?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use that instead of dr tims then. How often should I feed my mantis ?

I feed mine a chunk of clam or squid a couple times a week. Every once in a while, I toss in a hermit crab or 3 so it has something to actually hunt. They are usually hermits that have gone rogue on me. Other than that, I broadcast feed the tank mine is in twice a day as I have a clown fish there. The clown has a slightly misshapen head and the breeder was getting rid of it as a feeder. It's been living with the mantis for over a year now, lol.

I should say that your mantis is larger than mine. Mine is maybe 3 inches at best. That might slightly affect how much you'll need to feed.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever bacteria you do go with, soak a filter sponge or pad with it for a little bit and place that in your sump or filter compartment. Seems to help the bacteria take hold faster.

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever bacteria you do go with, soak a filter sponge or pad with it for a little bit and place that in your sump or filter compartment. Seems to help the bacteria take hold faster.
My water spiked to 4.0ppm I’m afraid he’s going to die I’m doing a 50% change right now and dosing ammo lock

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water spiked to 4.0ppm I’m afraid he’s going to die I’m doing a 50% change right now and dosing ammo lock

Did you pull out what ever is dead and decaying in the tank to keep it from rising more?

I would say water changes are in order for sure.

Worse case, a 10 gallon temporary setup till the main tank is cycled would definitely be in the back of my mind.

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the water down to 1.0ppm and double dosed ammo lock

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on what I should do ? I have a 4 gallon tank I can quickly set up
I unfortunately had to mess up his burrow a little bit but I can’t find the damsel fish or any signs of something rotting in the tank. I am using the api test kit

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test ammonia again in an hour or 2 and see if it trends up or down. If it stays stable, I wouldn't do much till the morning. Changing too much could stress the mantis. Does it look stressed at all? I'm really not sure if ammonia affects them the same as it does fish to be honest.

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll leave him in here, I’m not really sure what signs of stress are in a mantis

OP
OP
B

Buddro96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammo lock will probably give you a false reading on test kits. (see if the label mentions this)
I took my water to LFS and it tested fine besides 1.1 ammonia so I bought bio spira and a new filter cartridge

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back