New member, need suggestions

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello people, I have a huge problem.
I started a main tank of 30G, with a couple of anemones (one BTA and a sebae anemone but now three the BTA just split couple hours ago) peppermint shrimps, snails and a couple of amazing clownfish (Marley and Margot, tomato clownfish). The tank is 1 year old, I added all my little friends slowly around 8 months ago when the tank was cycled and after QT everything for 4 weeks. Everything was going really well, clowns were happy with both the anemones, water change (20%) every week with sea water (I live 20 meters from the ocean), water tested before and after every water change. I set up a Hospital tank of 8G (don't have much space, in Japan everything is very small) as well.
Here the problem: checking during feeding my clowns a couple of days ago I noticed white spots on fins and body 3 days ago (both clowns). Their behavior was still normal. I bought the following products: malachite green and formaldehyde 37%. I did a freshwater bath (5 minutes) followed by a formalin+malachite green bath (45 minutes) and moved them in the HT. They looked normal as before in the main tank, they were eating as well.
The day after I woke up and Marley (small male) was facing the sand and one hours late was gone full of white spots. So fast.
Margot now (after 8 hours) is in the same condition, probably will leave me soon, not able to swim facing the sand.
She has several white spots, kind of muco or whatever is on her skin, whitish, cloudy eyes (probably brook's disease or velvet looking on Internet).
Want just to ask, no new fish have been placed in the tank, what happened to my tank? What I did wrong? I read that is very easy when you add new and maybe infected fish, but just with water change?
More importantly, how much time my tank should remain fish less to be ready again?
Welcome! Sorry for your loss.

Post #12 has good info. In Hong Kong, they use toilet water. In USA we use RO/DI because water gets treated by cities/towns. It must be wonderful to live so close to ocean.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like symptoms of brooklynella but you are on with Jay in which I dont interfere especially with he being a trusted source of info. Best of luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

OP
OP
B

BobbySolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions. Very kind. Sorry for my late reply.
I live in a tropical island, very isolated place, the reef is beautiful here. The water is from the marine station where clownfish live. The difference is the pump there, that is constantly working adding new water in the tanks.
I asked there some suggestions but they study something differente like the behavior and have specific protocols to treat the fish. I can't afford such technology.
Anyway, Margot seems getting better, her color is coming back, less white spots and no more whitish muco after a formalin bath along with malachite green. To remove the chemicals I also did a freshwater bath after the formalin bath. She's also breathing less frequently than before but just a bit worried because she is not eating (tried almost everything) and moving as before. Technically, I don't know if she is really eating or not.

I'm changing the 50% of the water daily (they told me to do it along with antibiotics administrations to prevent infections due to chemical stress), but if anyone more experienced has more suggestions please let me know.
I think she is very weak due to the disease and the treatment not sure I want to add antibiotics to the Hospital tank stressing her more.

Keep you updated.
Thanks again and sorry for the post in the wrong place, just agitated for my small friend

6 weeks? Perfect, thank you very much.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back