New member, old reefer

Stang20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!. My family has had freshwater tanks all my life, and about 14 years ago I started my first saltwater tank. Unfortunately I ran into two big issues and had to leave the hobby six years ago. I have know gotten the green light to get back in but under specific conditions. I need some help finding the "perfect" tank. Where would be best for asking about different tanks like IM, waterbox, or custom makers?

Last edited:

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r.jpeg

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most of the people here that are gonna be welcoming you will be able to give you some advice. So let me ask you some basic questions to get us started like first off what size of tank would you be liking to get your hands on. Then what sort of corals would you be wanting to put in it, don't need any specific names just types like for example sps, lps, softies, or a mixed reef? Next question would be do you want something like an aio, or do you wanna go with a sump? I have a lot more questions I can ask, but for now lets go with those to start us off, and again welcome to reef2reef.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zakery Murray is correct.

Maybe if you start a build thread you can tell us there what you are trying to do, the size of area, budget, and what you want to keep in the tank would be great.

Most folks are just going to say:
"Welcome to Reef@Reef!" since you are new.

200.gif

OP
OP
Stang20

Stang20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody! To answer a few of those questions I will start here. I know exactly what I am looking for, its just finding it at the right price. I want a shallow tank, preferably 16" but definitely under 20". I am looking at 24" wide and the max length I can do is 61" Budget is about $2500 max for tank and stand.

To explain my situation, 14 years ago I started with a marineland 150 tall. I had that for about two years when one day i noticed both sides bowing pretty badly. I found the top brace was taring away from the tank. I dont not how close I was to disaster but it felt too close. An unnamed member of the family was not to happy about this and didn't want me to get anther tank. I settled for getting a smaller tank, a red sea 130, which I had for about six years. I ended up having an issue with the stand warping and it nearly collapsed. After six years we finally agreed on getting a new tank so long as it about or less then 100g and has a metal stand.

I have read a lot of good things about waterbox, and their frag 145.5 has the dimensions I am looking for, but of course it has a wood stand. IM had their 100 witch has the aluminum stand but its taller and a foot shorter then I really want. It also seems like all the searches I have done on them comes up with somebody who had an issue with their tank.

Are there any other company's I could look at that might have a tank that fits the bill?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang20

Stang20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you want a frag tank or something like a lagoon I am hearing? Have you looked up a peninsula tank, water box just came out with some new sizes for them I believe.
Yes, something like a frag or lagoon tank, just longer.
Their peninsula tanks are taller then I would like and anyway, unfortunately the only tanks they seem to sell that have an aluminum stand are the reef lx. Their 145.5 is just what I am looking for, but it only comes with a wood stand :(

OP
OP
Stang20

Stang20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! Lots of options for tanks out there and everyone will have a different opinion. But congrats on the green light!
Thanks! I know everyone is going to have their opinion, was just thinking someone might be able to point me in the right direction to find what I am looking for. I am hoping to find something without having to go custom witch is going to be a bit out of my price range.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back