RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
im davy from scotland.
ive kept salt water tanks 30 years.
i have a main tank about 100galls and a sump bucket filled with live rock 35 ltrs and a 35 gall fuge also filled with live rock and some dead mans finger algae and i hope tons of pods. also i know i have lots of amphipods.
A few rears ago i got a tunze power skimmer that was a bad mistake i think.. its so good i ended up with no nitrates measurable.. then in came the dreaded bryopsis and then dedum dedum the dino OMG that stuff was mad to fight but i have cleared the tank of it... using the thrush cure pills.
also took out the skimmer that was far to efficient for my tank and over sized anyway.
i then bought a jap dosing unit 4 heads and dosed soda and calc.
i truely believe my alk had fell to low was always about 6 -7, after i got the doser its always now in the 8.5ish and calc always in the 400s.
I also piped in fresh air straight into the fuge.
so somewhere doing this the bropsis and dino left.
Hi davy!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Davy! Welcome to the best reef! Wish I were in Scotland! I just got rid of dedum dedum dinos and it is a relief. But today I think I have a pineapple something that I just destroyed as he was irritating my first coral. :) I think the popcorn will go along with Sebastian below.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Davy. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
8BDA9FF5-B50A-456D-A784-DA76E4B3C015.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all
im davy from scotland.
ive kept salt water tanks 30 years.
i have a main tank about 100galls and a sump bucket filled with live rock 35 ltrs and a 35 gall fuge also filled with live rock and some dead mans finger algae and i hope tons of pods. also i know i have lots of amphipods.
A few rears ago i got a tunze power skimmer that was a bad mistake i think.. its so good i ended up with no nitrates measurable.. then in came the dreaded bryopsis and then dedum dedum the dino OMG that stuff was mad to fight but i have cleared the tank of it... using the thrush cure pills.
also took out the skimmer that was far to efficient for my tank and over sized anyway.
i then bought a jap dosing unit 4 heads and dosed soda and calc.
i truely believe my alk had fell to low was always about 6 -7, after i got the doser its always now in the 8.5ish and calc always in the 400s.
I also piped in fresh air straight into the fuge.
so somewhere doing this the bropsis and dino left.
Hi Davy and Welcome!

Glad you hung in there with all of that - you have lots of BBA - Bounce Back Ability!

Glad you joined. Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread(s) and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You might want to do a thread for each tank you have actively going - 30 years experience I can't imagine all you've learned!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back