welcome r2r.jpg
Thank you!!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Christy and I’m new to the saltwater hobby! I’ve always wanted to start, but my journey was accidentally jump-started a few weeks ago when my boyfriend accidentally brought home shells from the beach that had marine hermit crabs in them! Luckily, I already had been researching previously, so I knew that I had to put them in a quarantine tank right away. We set out to find an appropriately sized tank that would accommodate the crustaceans size and quantity and decided a 55 gallon would be more than adequate to begin with and we already had a tank that was perfect for quarantine. Despite how common they are in my area of the US, researching them was very difficult because we couldn’t find enough information about them on the internet or YouTube. Apparently, they are not ideal pets because they are larger than most other crustaceans and they are aggressive. We decided to keep them anyway, because the beach they came from is about 6 hours from where we live and we want to give them the best home possible. Our tank fully cycled a few days ago and we were able to introduce them to their new home. They are happy and THRIVING!! We can’t wait to see where this journey takes us.

77C41AF6-C367-4217-A5A6-6FE7081AE187.jpeg 2589DAFD-B533-4857-9AAC-C217152A59CE.jpeg B0C99505-3F26-4A6A-B0D0-6E4294B646D2.jpeg

Hi Christy! I'm Lisa. Welcome! Glad you joined. They look like cuties!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
christyj3

christyj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Christy! I'm Lisa. Welcome! Glad you joined. They look like cuties!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thank you for all of the helpful information! I really appreciate it!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My name is Christy and I’m new to the saltwater hobby! I’ve always wanted to start, but my journey was accidentally jump-started a few weeks ago when my boyfriend accidentally brought home shells from the beach that had marine hermit crabs in them! Luckily, I already had been researching previously, so I knew that I had to put them in a quarantine tank right away. We set out to find an appropriately sized tank that would accommodate the crustaceans size and quantity and decided a 55 gallon would be more than adequate to begin with and we already had a tank that was perfect for quarantine. Despite how common they are in my area of the US, researching them was very difficult because we couldn’t find enough information about them on the internet or YouTube. Apparently, they are not ideal pets because they are larger than most other crustaceans and they are aggressive. We decided to keep them anyway, because the beach they came from is about 6 hours from where we live and we want to give them the best home possible. Our tank fully cycled a few days ago and we were able to introduce them to their new home. They are happy and THRIVING!! We can’t wait to see where this journey takes us.

77C41AF6-C367-4217-A5A6-6FE7081AE187.jpeg 2589DAFD-B533-4857-9AAC-C217152A59CE.jpeg B0C99505-3F26-4A6A-B0D0-6E4294B646D2.jpeg
Hi Christy
Welcome to r2r
You’re off yo a wonderful start .
more research and livestock will eventually follow

OP
OP
christyj3

christyj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Christy. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
I'm happy to be a part of R2R and the saltwater community! I feel very welcomed, which was surprising considering that I'm so new to the hobby. Thank you! Any knowledge, recommendation, or advice I can get is much appreciated.

OP
OP
christyj3

christyj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Christy to R2R. 55g is good starter size. I just find depending on the brand dimensions the most are too narrow for aquasaping.
I've actually already ran into this issue. My main concern when I bought my tank was having enough space for my hermit crabs to get around my aquascape without scraping their shells against the glass and having enough room around my aquascape for their spare shells. My 55g is much too narrow to do some of the more brilliant landscapes that I want to try out. I don't have a whole lot of options when it comes to pet stores in my area as well, unfortunately, so my options were limited with the timeframe I was given to have a setup ready for my new pets. This will most definitely be my starter tank and I will upgrade to a different tank when the time comes. When I'm ready for my next tank, I'll be sure to do more research and most likely order my next tank online. I can't wait to see where this journey takes me. I can't wait to learn more and grow within the reefer community. Thank you for your warm welcome!

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef and welcome to reefing! What a way to start!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! I absolutely cannot wait to add more to my tank! It's hard to be patient when there's so much that I want to do with my new tank!
I get it 100%
I am at the point where I can’t add anything else , except for corals. If I ever plan to add corals again .

being in It for many years you will notice in time reef keeping has its ups and downs
Wins and losses

if you have any questions feel free to ask for help .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back