New Midas blenny in QT?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So I just got my order from LA DD. I purchased a Bellus angel as well as a golden Midas Blenny. I added them to my 20L QT which already has another Bellus angel in there from my LFS that was purchased a week ago. The Midas Blenny hasn’t moved from the bottom of the tank in the front left corner. I added them around 11 am. The bellus is swimming around but the Midas has remained curled up in the corner. Is this normal behavior after being shipped? I tried feeding and neither fish seemed interested, maybe because the other Bellus eats like crazy. Any information would be appreciated.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So I just got my order from LA DD. I purchased a Bellus angel as well as a golden Midas Blenny. I added them to my 20L QT which already has another Bellus angel in there from my LFS that was purchased a week ago. The Midas Blenny hasn’t moved from the bottom of the tank in the front left corner. I added them around 11 am. The bellus is swimming around but the Midas has remained curled up in the corner. Is this normal behavior after being shipped? I tried feeding and neither fish seemed interested, maybe because the other Bellus eats like crazy. Any information would be appreciated.
Give it time. My midas blenny did the same thing for 2 days. The stress of shipping and the stress of a new environment (plus medication if you're running any) Do you have any PVC pipes or antying for it to hide in? That will help give it a place to feel safe :)

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. My midas blenny did the same thing for 2 days. The stress of shipping and the stress of a new environment (plus medication if you're running any) Do you have any PVC pipes or antying for it to hide in? That will help give it a place to feel safe :)
Yea I have 2 larger PVC fittings (4”) that where in there for my previous fish. I added a smaller (1.5”) one just for the blenny. The larger Bellus has already made her home in the one 4” fitting. There might be a small amount of copper (.3 Copper Power) that I added last week before decided to add these guys. I also did a water change (5 gallons) this morning without adding any copper. So it was probably less than .3 when they went in this morning.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one from them yesterday. He perked up after a couple of hours and by bed time was out and about a lot. He’s a great fish so far and begs for food all the time.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check tomorrow morning when I get home from work. My last LA experience was far from good, lost 5 out of 6 fish ordered. They showed up dead. These were from Divers Den. They looked great when I put them in so we shall see. Gonna get them eating before I start adding Copper Power.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up putting the blenny in my tanklimate acclimation box inside of the QT. I added the smaller PVC fittings as well. He's still pretty shy but only while i'm doing my daily maintenance. I have a camera in my basement to keep an eye on my tanks when I'm away. Yes, im that crazy!!! lol As soon as I leave the room he swims around and eats. I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to remove him from his separate box? He's still on the smaller side so I'm thinking that might be why he's so shy. Either way I've started to ramp up copper. I'm almost at 1.0 ppm doing AM and PM doses. I'll get some pictures to post later. The bellus angels are both doing well. The larger one chases the smaller one once in a while. I'm hoping they eventually pair up and the larger one changes to male. Only time will tell.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back