New Mystery Wrasse attacking my Midas blenny

Blue Topia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a new 2-1/2" mystery Wrasse to my tank today that houses a Midas Blenny, Sapphire Damsel, Yellow Coris Wrasse and a Flame Hawkfish.

After Mystery got adjusted, hours later he attacks my Midas Blenny in his hole, biting hard but the Midas held his own and is not scared.

I have never see this aggession from a mystery Wrasse and I have owned them for years. Hopefully this will not get worse? Anyone had mystery Wrasse aggression?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have gotten pretty lucky to keep them for years and not see any aggression. They like the rest of the lined wrasses have a mean reputation, and often do not play well with other labrids.

OP
OP
Blue Topia

Blue Topia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six line that ruthlessly almost killed my mystery Wrasse before I finally caught the six line but never any aggression from any of my mystery Wrasse. They are sleeping now and hopefully tomorrow they will work it out without to much war. The Midas held his own and even came out right after swimming around. He was ticked because he went and bite my flame hawk fish which he's never done. The Flame hawk actually runs the mystery out of the rocks if he gets to close. Hopefully they did not ship me a murderer mystery and wreaks havok tomorrow. Time will tell.

OP
OP
Blue Topia

Blue Topia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The Euphyilia...which is the Torch Coral is doing good but..

They may have given me a psychotic mass murderer Mystery Wrasse. Jury is still out. He attacked my Midas Blenny several times but the Midas held his own and I don't know how. He ticked everyone off and everyone started to attack everyone. This psycho even tried to get one of the cleaner shrimp and the Watchman Goby said ..nope! This morning he stayed in the corner unitl the Yellow Coris Wrasse came out of the sand and then he buddied with him and swan around until he decided to guard his rock he slept in and tried to eat the yellow Coris. Now they are back buddies and swimming around. Everyone is somewhat peaceful at this particular time. :)

IMG_20191020_100240.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Midas Blenny will probably hold its own... its not giving up its favorite rock hole without a fight. Sounds like your mystery wrasse ruled the roost wherever it was before.

They'll probably create a pecking order, but you'll have to watch closely. On a natural reef, this would occur as well, but there's the option for a weaker fish to move 10 feet down the reef... not so in our small boxes. If it continues, it may need to go.

evilchef70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a new 2-1/2" mystery Wrasse to my tank today that houses a Midas Blenny, Sapphire Damsel, Yellow Coris Wrasse and a Flame Hawkfish.

After Mystery got adjusted, hours later he attacks my Midas Blenny in his hole, biting hard but the Midas held his own and is not scared.

I have never see this aggession from a mystery Wrasse and I have owned them for years. Hopefully this will not get worse? Anyone had mystery Wrasse aggression?
its a territory fight. I would be more concerned for the other wrasse. give it two days, if there is more aggression is might not stop and you will need to rehome.

OP
OP
Blue Topia

Blue Topia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Famous last words...I have faith! I have kept the most aggressive fish on the planet. I had a 280 gallon with a large Tessallatta moray, clown trigger, undulated trigger, six line wrasse, friendly Picasso etc.... I've had a 6 foot green moray in a reeftank and many crazy things.

The mystery is definitely the oldest fish even thought he's the newest fish in a new tank. He is throwing his weight and cunning around and also like y'all said definitely territory.

At this moment I am watching ☮️ peace so I think he will not murder. Mystery has a strong mouth on him I know that.

Screenshot_20191020-100403.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back