New Nano Reef - too much flow?

nor127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from Norway!
Im setting up my first tank and would be happy to get some advice from more experienced reefers in here.

Im setting up a 20g (76l) AiO tank. Im have not desided on which corals I want to keep, but it will likely be a mix of lps and sps corals.
I currently have a TMC returnpump running on lowest setting (1000l/h). I can crank this up to atleast 3000l/h, but I still feel like the flow in the tank could improve. Atleast in the bottom part of the tank.
This is why I am going to put in a powerhead as well. And I would like to buy something I can use on a bigger tank someday.

Would the AI Nero 3 be to powerful for my tank?

Thanks!

Last edited:

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from Norway!
Im setting up my first tank and would be happy to get some advice from more experienced reefers in here.

Im setting up a 20g (76l) AiO tank. Im have not desided on which corals I want to keep, but it will likely be a mix of lps and sps corals.
I currently have a TMC returnpump running on lowest setting (1000l/h). I can crank this up to atleast 3000l/h, but I still feel like the flow in the tank could improve. Atleast in the bottom part of the tank.
This is why I am going to put in a powerhead as well. And I would like to buy something I can use on a bigger tank someday.

Thanks!

I think you should be fine, I have a 25 gallon with about the same turnover from my return pump, but I also run a mp10 and an Aquamai KPS. I run the Mp-10 on reef crest getting to about 70-80% max, and the KPS random up to 100%.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from Norway!

Thanks!
With that much return line flow - maybe consider adding a Radom Flow Generator® nozzle. It would certainly help randomize and spread out that flow in a way that could fill the entire tank with movement. You may not even need a power head.

You should be able to find them locally from a few resellers in your general area

If you can tell me what brand tank it is, I can let you know what you need - and we may even have a video of an RFG in that tank.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both Ecotech MP10s and now a gyre on my IM Nuvo 20. By far, hands down, the gyre has been a better flow pump in my opinion. I'm getting better flow, gentle waves, less detritus build up, and increased polyp extension than what I had with two MP10s. Look at the gyre style, I think you'll like it.

OP
OP
N

nor127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response, but I would like to thank you all for your replies!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back