New Nano Reefer / Saltwater Tank Beginner - Scared I’m doing something wrong! Any Advice?

The Newbie!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I’m a new saltwater tanker, and just started a Fluval Evo 13.5 Tank. I’m super excited but also scared that I’m doing something wrong. My equipment entails live rock from my LFS, CaribSea Live Sand, NutriSea Premade salt water, the stock return pump, and the stock intank filters. After a few days, I checked my levels and everything was great! So I decided to buy some inverts (Snails, Emerald Crab, and Ghost Shrimps) to get my tank going. Before I start getting the “hardcore” livestock, I want to make sure that my tank is the best it can be! I’m going back and forth about if I need a refrugium or a protein skimmer? Also, should I change out my intank filter to a DIY one so I could add more media? Any general advice for a newbie? I really appreciate it!!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
IMG_1830.JPG

OP
OP
T

The Newbie!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"After a few days" Tank cycling takes 4 weeks or more.
What were your levels?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

Hi! At first (after two days), the tank was at 7.8 pH, with .25 Ammonia, 5.0 Nitrate, and .25 Nitrite. As of two days ago, everything is at 0, with 7.8 pH

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t find any RODI water near me. Any suggestions for a place to find some? When it comes to water, I have done a 15% water change

Not sure as i produce my own. Deffinitely worth it. I think i heard you can use distilled water from the grocery store. Im not sure though...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back