New Naso Tang will not eat.

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an adult Naso, not fully grown, but large from the LFS a few days ago. He has not eaten once since entering my tank. He doesn't pick at the rocks, won't take pellets, mysis, garlic soaked nori on a clip or rubberbanded to a rock.

He looks completely healthy. He's fat, no signs of disease or stress. He is extremely timid though - hides when he sees me coming. I'm at a loss of what to do here. Do I wait it out? Do I bring him back in the hopes he'll eat at the LFS?

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be tough but once they start eating they go crazy. I tried a dozen foods and got mine to start eating with red algae sheets on a suction cup clip. The kind with the garlic infused into it. Picked it up on Amazon next day for about $10.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be tough but once they start eating they go crazy. I tried a dozen foods and got mine to start eating with red algae sheets on a suction cup clip. The kind with the garlic infused into it. Picked it up on Amazon next day for about $10.
Thanks, I will blindly order anything that may work. Searching those up now. Did yours ignore green Nori before you tried the red?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Finicky at first they are. Place multiple sheets of nori seaweed around tank and try live, or else frozen spirulina brine shrimp and mysis shrimp
LRS Herbivore diet seems to be a naso's favorite in time

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I ordered. I actually use their green Nori. Thanks for the guidance!
Let me know how it goes. I unfortunately have to sell my big tank along with my other big fish due to a tank failure. Going to downsize and move on :(. Good luck!

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it goes. I unfortunately have to sell my big tank along with my other big fish due to a tank failure. Going to downsize and move on :(. Good luck!
She's eating the red nori. You have very likely saved the fish, and I am extremely grateful for that. Thank you.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's eating the red nori. You have very likely saved the fish, and I am extremely grateful for that. Thank you.
Glad to hear she's eating! I had a similar issue with my two spot about a month ago and the resolution was to turn the lights down and do a 7 day acclimation back to normal intensity. The morning after the lights were turned down, she went nuts about food. It's possible that your lights are more intense than where she came from.....just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a final update. I've transferred over another tank into the tank that was housing the Naso. There are now 4 other tangs with her and she immediately grouped up with them. The five swim in a pack, and now she devours green nori and pellets after watching her friends do the same.

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear she's now eating green nori and pellets. Keep the red for a little variety or as a treat. Amazing how big of social creatures fish can be. Enjoy your tangs!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back