New Naso Unicorn tang bullying small Clownfish

LionFish47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two small designer clownfish in my 70gal aquarium for 8 months. They have began to host in a small patch of algae for a few months despite two anemones with nothing else in them. The tank has been empty except for the two clownfish and the anemone (it just recently cloned itself and split into two)
About a week ago we bought a very small Naso tang we planned to keep for a few months to eradicate a macro algae infestation. Our LFS told us he would be fine for a few months as he is VERY small for a unicorn tang. He seems to be doing fine in the tank after a recent water change but just recently he has started to patrol the bottom of the tank [where the clownfish host in their algae] and dive bombs where they are. He will now just sit over top of them and they are often barley moving. The clownfish seem to be protecting something and I wondered whether they may have laid some eggs? Not sure what to think but very worried about the clownfish that seem to be not moving and often laying on their side. Usually they move about the tank but now they sit at the bottom and 'cower in fear.'

Please Help, I'm very worried about the clownfish as the tang seems to be targeting them and bullying them into fear. Thx in advance.

*edit* The clownfish are about one inch long and the Unicorn tang is around 2.5" tall and 4" long.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i personally think your best course of action is to remove the unicorn from the system as you were already planning on doing... if you want a tang that does work on algae in your size tank you should look at: yellow eye kole tangs, tomini tangs, 2 spot bristletooths, and squaretail yellow bristletooth tangs.

I wouldn't add anything else to the tank until you know that your clowns would be able to compete for food

OP
OP
LionFish47

LionFish47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the clownfish may have laid eggs? It will be very difficult to get the Naso tang out so I am wondering if it is the problem or if maybe the other clownfish is or was pregnant. The one that is not moving is just laying over a single spot but when the tang finally leaves the clownfish not on its side will venture out and scavenge for who knows what, only to return and protect the other one.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the clownfish may have laid eggs? It will be very difficult to get the Naso tang out so I am wondering if it is the problem or if maybe the other clownfish is or was pregnant. The one that is not moving is just laying over a single spot but when the tang finally leaves the clownfish not on its side will venture out and scavenge for who knows what, only to return and protect the other one.

You would be able to see if the clowns had laid eggs.. here's a pic
5cabfb609bc3ef146bb4e803c00dbd3d.png

It definitely sounds like the naso is the issue here... usually I would reccomend adding 2 similar sized fish to the tank since you don't have much livestock yet, but I still think the best course of action here is to remove the naso due to the fact that you bought it with the intent to later remove it.

OP
OP
LionFish47

LionFish47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clown that's on the ground breathing heavily? It sounds like it's severely stressed
It doesn't seem to be breathing heavy. When the tang is gone I just witnessed them both 'getting up' and swimming around, but no more than a few fish lengths away, then they both went back.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back