New Nuvo 10 Build

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided on a Nuvo 10, with AI Prime, prime mount, an upgraded return pump Sicce 0.5, and a Hydor powerhead. I believe it is 240GPH. Also have the custom cabby with GFO and Rox 0.8. Plan to have either firefish, clowns and anemones, as well as a skunk cleaner shrimp.

Several Questions:
1. Would 2 clowns or 1 clown and 1 firefish be better? Will the bioload be too much?
2. Will an anemone do well in a 10 gallon with Primes?
3. Is 240GPH to high or low for a 10 gallon (factor in the anemone) i can get a 425GPH for $1 more
4. Will the filtration be enough for that bioload? I plan no skimmers, probably 4 gallon water change every week.

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a lower flow power head that is a lot for ten gallons. I always do a 10x turnover rate on my power heads so for you a 100gph pump. That amount of flow will likely blow sand around and cause a mess. I think 2 clowns and a fire fish is perfect for a ten gallon but it won’t hurt to add some cured lava rock to the back. Also with the money you would save on that light you should get a cheap nano skimmer off amazon I got one for about $40. Primes will work well for most corals in a ten gallon. Also it can’t hurt to tuck some cheato and or some snails in the tank to help with nuisance algae. What you plan on with both equipment and stocking should work other than your power head. Good luck!

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a nuvo 10 for my bedroom, upgraded the pump to the sicce 0.5 and added a spinstream. Im still cycling, but I haven't seen a need yet to add another powerhead as the spinstream provides pretty decent random flow. Once I get some corals in there, ill decide if I need an additional powerhead or not.

some other thoughts:

total water volume after rock and sand is going to be around 6.5 to 7 gallons total so an ATO will be your best investment for this tank
marinepure gems/spheres will allow you to use less rock in the display and provide more biological filtration
skip the skimmer. water changes of 2 gallons a week should keep up with nutrient export. You can increase the amount changed if needed
if you decide to add a refugium, get the intank refugium. it fits in chamber 2. you don't want chaeto in your display because it gets everywhere
start off simple. you can always add something at a later date if you find you need it. It sucks spending money on something only to find out you didn't need it

I hope this helps and Im looking forward to your build thread!

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, already decided to skip out on skimmers because I didn't run them on my 14 and 30 for 10 years and they are quite nice tanks - I just had to up the water changes. Probably 3-4 gallons a week for this one. I got chaeto in my other tank, so that's okay (only reason I didn't mention because I don't know how small the refuge section will be) Also got those marinepure blocks, so yeah I'll add them too.

Regarding the Spinstream, is it loud? Pretty much everyone says it's quite loud, and having this tank in my bedroom...

As for fish, a firefish and 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp is fine within a 10 gallon?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the Spinstream, is it loud? Pretty much everyone says it's quite loud, and having this tank in my bedroom...

Mine is totally silent. I’m literally sitting with my head two feet from the nozzle as I type this and can’t hear a thing. I have read about a clicking noise but believe that is a maintenance and/or cleaning issue.

Second vote for the IT refugium. I have a Nuvo 10 and was steered in that direction as well. Based on a couple of months of research, I came to the conclusion that it’s difficult to find a quality skimmer option for these tanks...

Hethari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
لل
Yeah, already decided to skip out on skimmers because I didn't run them on my 14 and 30 for 10 years and they are quite nice tanks - I just had to up the water changes. Probably 3-4 gallons a week for this one. I got chaeto in my other tank, so that's okay (only reason I didn't mention because I don't know how small the refuge section will be) Also got those marinepure blocks, so yeah I'll add them too.

As for fish, a firefish and 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp is fine within a 10 gallon?

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 spinstreams on 2 different tanks, one in the bedroom and will say that they are dead silent after a couple of days of breaking in. They're only loud if the internal components are misaligned.

2 clowns, a firefish and a cleaner shrimp will be just fine in this tank. Im personally putting 2 clowns and a pistol shrip/goby in mine

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Watchman Goby, I'll assume. Alright, I'll go with double clowns and a firefish + cleaner shrimp + anemone. That's probably it for my idea of this tank.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I'll go without a powerhead, and instead for a spinstream, let's see how loud that can go. Chemipure Blue or just ROX 0.8 and GFO? Heard that blue is overpriced, and with separate carbon and gfo, i can swap out the gfo if it starts removing the phosphate too fast/much.

Aaron4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Nuvo 10 set for about 3 years with the AI prime light, stock return pump, a Aqamai Kps powerhead. I keep a firefish, a damsel and a peppermint shrimp.
I have two bubble tip anemones that have been doing fine the last two years under the light. The only filtration I use is the live rock in the tank. the back compartment only contains the heater the ATO and the return pump. I think you’ll be just fine with two fish and Anemone.
72C66DDD-CE15-42C2-9960-450E6240BFF3.jpeg

Ghost_Rebel5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it should be okay.[emoji108] just make sure that you have plenty of bio media just all.
The spinstream is a bit noisy at first but after a few days, it became quite quiet

Brandonn42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spin stream is noisy. I used the sicce .5 in mine with a 1/2” random flow generator made by vivid creative aquatics( think that’s the company) you’ll also need the slip fit adapter for it if you go that route, which I’d highly recommend. I also have the hydor 240 powerhead in mine and it’s fine. I just have it set to turn off when the lights turn off.

Brandonn42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I only have wires for my heater and lights and pump... bro xd
Yup apex is controlling the return, powerhead, ATO, and heater. The kessil and controller for that are plugged into the strip along with my cabinet fan I had to install to keep the apex cool and an air pump for the reefglass skimmer that’s on the way. Then of course the Tunze ATO has all its wiring and sensors and feed line and crap. Let’s just say wire management took hours and was a total pain. I should’ve built a bigger stand lol

Brandonn42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I built it myself. Just a sheet of oak plywood from Home Depot and some solid oak for the trim pieces. After that just about 5 or 6 coats of urethane took a while but I’m happy with it.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back